Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Filling Belly Weight Voids (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=64882)

Eric Roach 07-07-2010 02:33 PM

Filling Belly Weight Voids

I've been using epoxy, but I'm wondering if there is anything that sands better(?)

Nebe 07-07-2010 02:36 PM

plastic wood

BigFish 07-07-2010 03:01 PM

Minwax Wood Filler....its perfect! No shrink ever!!!! Sands easy and you almost can't even see it once painted!! I swear by it!!

UserRemoved1 07-07-2010 03:16 PM

FISH DON'T CARE.

Pete F. 07-07-2010 03:35 PM

Put the epoxy in and put a piece of tape over it and turn right side up and let cure. But Salty's right the fish don't care and if you are fishing at the right time you won't be able to see it either.

UserRemoved1 07-07-2010 04:23 PM

I have actually been experimenting with a new technique...CA glue...you leave the weight recessed, fill the void with thick CA and then give it a shot of flashtac...it cures in 10 seconds or less and doesn't require sanding.

Eric Roach 07-07-2010 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 778706)
Put the epoxy in and put a piece of tape over it and turn right side up and let cure. But Salty's right the fish don't care and if you are fishing at the right time you won't be able to see it either.

This is a neat trick -- thank you for sharing.

Thanks for the other suggestions, too.

The Dad Fisherman 07-08-2010 05:06 AM

Elmers Wood Filler....works fine for me

ThrowingTimber 07-08-2010 01:07 PM

No need for any caustic materil. Devcon 2 ton or any other reasonable epoxy is fine. If you work with square ends on. turn your lure. Drill thru and belly. Leave square ends on.a little epoxy in the hole drop in weight for each lure. Then go back amd fill so there a little dome over each weight. Allow ample time to dry. Then do your finish sanding back in the lathe, being sure to pay attention to the marks where your chuck grips or contacts the material. Ie. Don't put it back in backwards it will spin funny.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

ThrowingTimber 07-08-2010 01:10 PM

Scott baking soda will also get ca type glues to kick off. Sprinkle a tiny tiny amount into an eye hole. Drop in 1 -2 drops of zap or similar CA. press in the eye. You actually see wisps of s.ome from the heat generated :)

Slipknot 07-08-2010 03:43 PM

plumbers epoxy
tear off a little hunk , mix it up, put it on

UserRemoved1 07-08-2010 04:50 PM

Vic I found some stuff that you can buy from a distributor that is available in all viscosities from runny to super thick, they have a spray accelerator. I originally got some samples and was so impressed with it I've probably gone through 15 oz of it so far.

Did not know you could do that with baking soda-you talking about just plain old Armnhammer stuff?

Don't breathe that "smoke" it's actually vaporized ca glue in tiny droplets and is not good for your lungs. This happens if it flashes too fast with the accelerator. This stuff is probably a slower flash I don't see smoke with it unless there is a very large surface area.

Something else I did that I posted on my site was do nose loops of darters with the thick stuff. I was able to put a wire in the nose of the darter and fill around it with thick CA then flash it, let it sit overnight and in pull tests I actually destroyed the .062 wire trying to rip it out.

I wish people would stop spreading this myth that CA is not waterproof. I asked the engineer that sent me the samples. I'm working on my hazmat certification right now and will be selling/shipping this stuff soon.

I think there's almost endless possibilities for it. It works on lead weights in the bellies, lips, wires, all kinds of stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrowingTimber (Post 779082)
Scott baking soda will also get ca type glues to kick off. Sprinkle a tiny tiny amount into an eye hole. Drop in 1 -2 drops of zap or similar CA. press in the eye. You actually see wisps of s.ome from the heat generated :)

adson 07-08-2010 08:44 PM

bondo works well, it sets up in minutes so you can sand it quick and move on ( but it does smell up the shop )

I used to use 30 minute epoxy or the plumbers putty,
but it is harder than the wood so when I sanded it flush with the plug I always felt I was sanding too much of the wood around it

ThrowingTimber 07-09-2010 09:01 AM

Bugger yea just reg arm and hammer works agreed dodge those lil wisps of "smoke" as it is CA vapor. between the tape method mentioned and ch#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g the piece back in should be good to go for basic stuff. Production runs of a few thousand I'm sure are a bit more involved.

UserRemoved1 07-09-2010 09:36 AM

thanks Vic will try that. Wonder if the liquid stuff is a slower version or if it's just baking soda dissolved into something.

johnny ducketts 07-09-2010 02:21 PM

i also use plumbers epoxy. no complaints so far.

Eric Roach 07-10-2010 07:52 AM

Thank you again, all. Great information.