Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Kayaking (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Vineyard Derby by yak (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=33248)

reelecstasy 07-24-2006 11:27 AM

Vineyard Derby by yak

Well, I have my 2 weeks on the island for the derby. This year i am bringing my kayak down/over. Aside from obviously hoping for large striped ones. I have been dreaming of getting into the albies from the kayak, I am dieing to feel the "free ride" a good size one of those can supply. I figure it is gonna be a casting go at it, because I doubt I can get my yak up fast enough to troll for them, then again I could be way wrong. Anyone else bringing their yak over for the derby? Let me know and hopefully we can hook up a day or night.
I am gonna have to bring a arsenal this year, all my surf gear plus my kayak stuffs, I can't wait.
~Chris

tynan19 07-24-2006 11:48 AM

Chris, that would be some ride. Last year the schools would move so fast that the boats had the definite advantage over the shorebound angler. Even in the yak I would think you will need to predict which way they are heading and wait for them, then cast. Who knows maybe they will hit the troll but it seems like it would be easier to cast into the pod.

vineyardblues 07-24-2006 12:38 PM

Think Albies,,,easy by yak,
Edgartown harbor, below to south beach, then back up to the gut.
Maybe some bones around the gut.
Also I have seen a many a yaks catching on east beach .
VB

nightprowler 07-24-2006 12:43 PM

when i was younger, didn't have a job, and spent my summers on the vineyard, i used to fish for bones and albies from a small tin boat and yak. they are "pattern" feeders, so after watching them for while you should be able to "predict" where they will show up next. i found they usually have about 3 "stops" and they chase the bait back and forth between these general areas. I never had luck anchoring, but once they would go down in one spot i would move to the area i expected them to come up in, and 7 out of 10 times i would beat the fish there. or i would go from spot 1 to spot 3 while the fish and other boats were speeding to spot 2. then i would head from 3 to 2. tried to stay ahead of the speedsters. one of the highlights of my fishing career was having an albie flick one of my flies into the air and then grab it mid-air and take off taking me about 3/4 mi out past east chop. what a day!
good luck

Mr. Sandman 07-26-2006 09:19 AM

You don't need to go fast. I had them take a fly that was idle in the water boatside! Drag a fly around and you will kill them even at slow speeds! I catch way more albies on teasers and flies then jigs.

Watch those big waves on the south side and wear a vest, i don't want to read about you. (guys take some very large bass in yaks all season. Pick your days/nights.

reelecstasy 07-26-2006 09:55 AM

Always safety first with me, I have twin 7 yr olds that are worth alot more to me than a little sweat, they need their dad.... Vest, whistle, and a signaling device 100% of the time or I don't go out, not to mention GPS and a back up compass....

reelecstasy 07-26-2006 10:23 AM

Thanks Sandman, the flyrod will be on my yak no doubt...