Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Time to start feeding the birds. (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=67045)

likwid 10-29-2010 01:19 PM

Time to start feeding the birds.

Tons of yellow finches this year.
Bluejays never left.
Only seen downy woodpeckers so far, no red bellied, I give them a week before they notice full feeders again.

goosefish 10-29-2010 02:23 PM

junkos over here, ground feeding.

ProfessorM 10-29-2010 03:50 PM

was just thinking about that today

Raven 10-29-2010 06:24 PM

i never stopped except for a few weeks to convince the two pair of rose breasted gross beaks to leave

man they have beaks like Van Stal pliers and never stop eating

goosefish 10-30-2010 06:45 AM

I fed all summer too, off and on. Mostly what I did was keep the bird bath filled up. For whatever reason I enjoy watching birds bathe. Jays, robins, and grackles can really throw water around. Finches are more subtle.

ProfessorM 10-30-2010 08:33 AM

now have 3 outdoor cats:confused: I am a little nervous about filling the feeders up because they are on the hunt all day long and would feel rotten if the darn cats got any of them, especially the Carolina Wrens, my fav's. but I guess i'll just have to see. I have my feeders up high so I think the birds will detect them if they are climbing but the ground feeders will be at a disadvantage, but also the cats will not be out all day long in cold months. I have also found that the cats, especially the older ones, eventually get bored with the birds coming and going. The young cats are full of energy so they never quit. I did not feed all summer but never really have fed in summer. Plenty for them to feed on and I don't want to make them dependent on me too much. Now in winter I feel they kind of need it, especially with snow cover, and I have more time watching them compared to summer when I am too busy. I have so many fruit bearing shrubs in the yard right now and they are loaded to the ground with berries. Funny thing is the birds don't seem to have much interest till the snow is on the ground. Now the berries I wait for all year, my blueberries and black raspberries, are attacked as soon as they are ripe.

basswipe 10-30-2010 01:31 PM

Just washed the rest of my feeders.Will hang and fill them later today if dry.

We've had quite tufted titmice around lately.Chicadees and jays too.

striperman36 10-30-2010 01:48 PM

Old Yaller's been stoppin bye, feel great about it.

likwid 10-31-2010 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basswipe (Post 806572)
Just washed the rest of my feeders.Will hang and fill them later today if dry.

We've had quite tufted titmice around lately.Chicadees and jays too.

titmice/titmeece/titmouses? love the window feeder.

Chris in Mass 10-31-2010 01:31 PM

Bam! Finished today. I don't feed in the summer either - too busy and the wife doesn't like the birds swooping over her head while poolside. 2 types of feeders up and 2 suet areas. Looking to add thistle this week.