Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Beer & Beverage (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   beer in a can (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=70089)

jon2465 03-27-2011 04:35 PM

beer in a can

any fans of canned beer.i hear great things about Surly but have never tried it nor can i get it on LI,maybe some others have a review that can shed some light on it

spence 03-27-2011 04:41 PM

Don't think you can get it up in RI.

I read somewhere that a few years ago the machinery to can beer at the micro level became available...and hence the explosion of canned micro brews.

From what I understand it's actually superior to bottling.

-spence

PRBuzz 03-27-2011 05:00 PM

Guinness in cans only, not bottled.

jon2465 03-27-2011 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 847475)
Don't think you can get it up in RI.

I read somewhere that a few years ago the machinery to can beer at the micro level became available...and hence the explosion of canned micro brews.

From what I understand it's actually superior to bottling.

-spence

interesting, is canned wine onthe horizon....from what i understand oxygen is the enemy and a sealed can has got to be "cleaner" than a corked or screwtop wine bottle.also how does the beer(imperial stouts) age in a aluminum enviorment. just wondering the can seems to be the wave of the future

rphud 04-01-2011 01:39 PM

I think you will find all the can are plastic lined, but hey, kegs are not. Cans of micros I have had were just fine. Seems like cans are better over the long term. I would prefer the drink it in the short term though.

The Dad Fisherman 04-01-2011 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRBuzz (Post 847482)

Absolutely.....

I also think that canned beer gets colder than bottled....at least it seems that way to me.

spence 04-01-2011 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRBuzz (Post 847482)

Well, they're really two different beers. The cans are ok but so far short of a proper draught Guinness I actually prefer the Extra Stout at home.

-spence

flyvice11787 04-01-2011 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 848704)
Absolutely.....

I also think that canned beer gets colder than bottled....at least it seems that way to me.

While one may keep something colder than the other, due to insulating abilities of the material, if you chill both to 40F, both will be 40F.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

BigFish 04-01-2011 05:48 PM

Beer tastes better from a bottle ice cold......I hate canned beer! By ice cold....I mean I like my beer bottled and in a cooler full of ice! It gets colder than in a refrigerator!:buds:

rphud 04-02-2011 06:29 AM

I would highly recommend pouring out of either into a glass. Give that beer some room and air to breath.

Backbeach Jake 04-02-2011 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rphud (Post 848821)
I would highly recommend pouring out of either into a glass. Give that beer some room and air to breath.

Aye, that.

MrHunters 04-14-2011 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFish (Post 848751)
Beer tastes better from a bottle ice cold......I hate canned beer! By ice cold....I mean I like my beer bottled and in a cooler full of ice! It gets colder than in a refrigerator!:buds:

Perhaps more refreshing on a hot day but the temperature a beer should be consumed is first and foremost preference but really it depends on the type of beer. An average seems to be 45-50 F. But I read somewhere it should be served at the temperature of it's fermentation.

That said. I usually just pull one out of the fridge and don't have the patience to wait for it to warm. :rotf2:

JohnR 04-14-2011 03:10 PM

Quote:

beer in a can
What a novel idea :buds: !

Prefer bottles too but nothing beets a properly cleaned tap system with properly freshened beer :btu:

Pete F. 04-14-2011 03:56 PM

I prefer cans, and why do you think they call them tasteBUDs anyways. to each there own.

Raven 04-14-2011 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 851465)
I prefer cans, and why do you think they call them tasteBUDs anyways. to each there own.

oh Palease, Budweiser is the rotgut of Beers

I love cold beer absolutely :btu:
but not so dammed cold you think your gonna die
from internal hypothermia

Reference: the coldest beer

Raven 04-14-2011 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 851465)

oh Palease, Budweiser is the rotgut of Beers

I love cold beer absolutely :btu:
but not so dammed cold you think your gonna die
from internal hypothermia

Reference: the coldest beer

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...dest-beer.html

The Dad Fisherman 04-15-2011 05:02 AM

Nothing wrong with a Bud, thats been sitting in a cooler full of ice, on a hot Summer Day.....little beads of moisture rolling down the side of the can. :drool:

Raven 04-15-2011 05:49 AM

oh yes there is Kevin

just one thang....

tastes so good ya drink five MORE

Raven 04-15-2011 05:53 AM

when i came down from the mountains.........
i'd walk into the bar and order two mugs of DARK brew

they'd arrive and i grab one and tip it back and GUZZLE it right down
with a hearty slam of the mug on the BAR and a big AHHHHHH

ya gotta wash down the trail dust ya know....

then i'd walk away with the second one..... :drool:

fishbones 04-26-2011 04:36 PM

I just read today that Magic Hat is now going to be producing #9 in a can.

Raven 04-26-2011 06:07 PM

okay i give up

what's number 9 ? all about...

JohnnySaxatilis 04-26-2011 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raven (Post 854271)
what's number 9 ? all about...

Magic hat #9 Apricot flavored ale. Probly magic hats best seller. I like it, others don't.

Raven 04-26-2011 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnySaxatilis (Post 854300)
Magic hat #9 Apricot flavored ale. Probly magic hats best seller. I like it, others don't.

ahhh i see , so it's similar to Wachuset blueberry then

a fruit flavored beer ,,,, i have yet to try that also :wall:

thanks i'll look for it

JohnnyD 04-26-2011 10:05 PM

Been in our current apartment for almost a year. Our fridge has never had a can of beer in it. Can't even remember the last I bought beer in a can.

Also, beer with fruit in it is right up there with drinking these:
http://i.imgur.com/pnqJU.jpg
:jester:

fishbones 04-26-2011 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raven (Post 854346)
ahhh i see , so it's similar to Wachuset blueberry then

a fruit flavored beer ,,,, i have yet to try that also :wall:

thanks i'll look for it

Nothing like Wachusett Blueberry. The apricot flavoring is very subtle. They call it a "not quite pale ale". It pairs well with most foods and is a good dinner beer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyD (Post 854355)
Been in our current apartment for almost a year. Our fridge has never had a can of beer in it. Can't even remember the last I bought beer in a can.

Also, beer with fruit in it is right up there with drinking these:
http://i.imgur.com/pnqJU.jpg
:jester:

God, I hope I never become either that much of a beer snob or that ignorant. My basement fridge has some Smirnoff Ice right next to the cans of Bud, Blue Moon and Pabst Blue Ribbon. I also have bottles of Sam Adams Light, Sam Noble Pils, Troegs Nugget Nectar, Goose Island Summer and Goose Island 312.

When I have guests to the house, I like to have a variety. I wouldn't expect everyone to like what I like. I also don't like to have broken bottles outside on the driveway or the pool area where kids play. Just because a beer is in a can doesn't mean it's not a good beer.

JohnnyD 04-27-2011 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishbones (Post 854360)
When I have guests to the house, I like to have a variety. I wouldn't expect everyone to like what I like. I also don't like to have broken bottles outside on the driveway or the pool area where kids play. Just because a beer is in a can doesn't mean it's not a good beer.

I don't hang out with people that would drink that crap...

But in all seriousness, I haven't come across a canned beer that I enjoy. I'll get canned Heineken on occasion and don't mind the canned Amstel. But Bud, Miller, Coors and the like... :yak5:

The Dad Fisherman 04-27-2011 10:03 AM

I'll Drink anything.....

Anybody for a Red,White, and Blue w/ a Nyquil Chaser

fishbones 04-27-2011 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyD (Post 854470)
I don't hang out with people that would drink that crap...

But in all seriousness, I haven't come across a canned beer that I enjoy. I'll get canned Heineken on occasion and don't mind the canned Amstel. But Bud, Miller, Coors and the like... :yak5:

You haven't found a canned beer you enjoy, other than Heineken or Amstel? If you think those are "good" beers, I take back my comment about you being a beer snob. I now realize you just have no sense of taste.

Last night I had a couple Double Bocks at a friends house followed by a Bud Light after helping him with some yard work. Although I don't drink a lot of Bud Light, it tasted pretty good with the 10 year old Cohiba once we finished working.

basswipe 04-27-2011 03:51 PM

One of the best canned beer brewers here:
New England Brewing: Brews

SeaHag IPA is top notch.Just watch out it'll creep up on ya if you're not careful.

spence 04-27-2011 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basswipe (Post 854569)
One of the best canned beer brewers here:
New England Brewing: Brews

SeaHag IPA is top notch.Just watch out it'll creep up on ya if you're not careful.

I think Dale's is better but the Sea Hag is pretty good :uhuh:

-spence