Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   TUNA & Big Game (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   2018 Tuna talk (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=93842)

bassballer 06-21-2018 07:08 AM

2018 Tuna talk

Figured Id start a thread for some Tuna discussion throughout the year. Reports, stories, pics, etc. anyone doing any scouting yet? Getting excited. this year without a newborn my plan is to make some runs south a lot more frequently.

Sea Dangles 06-23-2018 10:51 PM

Just ordered new mono to put on the riggers. I am going with two lines per outrigger for the first time and they will be different colors.Also some wide track bars from sterling to beef up the spread.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

wdmso 06-25-2018 05:21 AM

I am looking to do a sister trip with another boat or 2 to cover some water and just safety with weather and others ear shot on the radio.. Ive been to the claw but not the dump its just at my comfort limit .. and yet to been out on thoses Glass days you see on the shows but I am open most of July

Sea Dangles 06-25-2018 08:02 AM

I would be happy to share Wayne.

bassballer 06-25-2018 11:55 AM

Wayne, ill do a buddy trip anytime. You'll probably want to meet me out there though. I cruise at 16knts!

wdmso 06-25-2018 03:49 PM

I am free most of July small BFT or sharking at cox or the claw or mahi sure Guppy would be game ... with a good weather window

Guppy 06-25-2018 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1145334)
I am free most of July small BFT or sharking at cox or the claw or mahi sure Guppy would be game ... with a good weather window

You know it!

Poncho 07-01-2018 02:57 PM

I would love to get in on some buddy boat action I’m in point Jude area

wdmso 07-02-2018 05:30 PM

I am close enough to leave from NPT or westport the only issue i have lack of good intel and weather insight (like whats a good wave interval what wind brings the fog) that kind of stuff should be soon Its July

Sea Dangles 07-03-2018 07:54 AM

Despite a lack of encouraging reports I took a long ride yesterday to look for Charlie. Very discouraging ocean is what I found...no life to speak of from under BI to under Nomans.

angler229 07-03-2018 09:46 AM

Hopefully change quick with this extended stretch of warm weather and southwest wind.

Sea Dangles 07-03-2018 10:51 AM

It's not the lack of warmth Dan,I had 73 out there. No real temp or clarity edges. Very little life out there.

RIROCKHOUND 07-03-2018 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Dangles (Post 1145835)
Despite a lack of encouraging reports I took a long ride yesterday to look for Charlie. Very discouraging ocean is what I found...no life to speak of from under BI to under Nomans.

That is what I am hearing. Did you mark much?
A few boats tripped over some fish way off the edge, otherwise, slow.

Sea Dangles 07-03-2018 03:11 PM

I had trouble staying awake,marked some birds on occasion.

niko 07-04-2018 05:48 PM

looks like Ahab got one

Raider Ronnie 07-04-2018 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niko (Post 1145989)
looks like Ahab got one

A few are around.....

keeperreaper 07-05-2018 09:37 PM

BI south is devoid of tuna. Give it 10 or so days and the scene will be very different. Dangles you'll love those wide trackers trust me. Just got back from a way south trip to the southern canyons and it was insanely good. never caught as many YFT as I did that trip.

bassballer 07-06-2018 03:22 PM

Got the invite to head way south to get on that canyon bit but Im on dad duty with the wife traveling. Hurts.

Sea Dangles 07-06-2018 06:03 PM

The guy next to me did well waaay south. Bigeyes, yellows and marlin....130 miles is not for my boat.

keeperreaper 07-06-2018 10:18 PM

Chris it was insane. Stopped counting at 41 tuna. white marln makos it was crazy...

Give me a call tomorrow.

Ian 07-08-2018 09:13 AM

I’m gonna keep an eye on this thread. Once I’m a bit more confident the motor is in solid shape we are trying to plan a much less ambitious trip south of the Vineyard in early August. Staying in Falmouth this year specifically to shorten the run to that bite.

I don’t have heavy enough gear or a big enough gas tank for the bigger fish :)

bassballer 07-10-2018 08:51 AM

Heard of bite around coxes last couple days. Might try and get out Thursday.

SAUERKRAUT 07-10-2018 11:36 AM

[QUOTE=Ian;1146220]I’m gonna keep an eye on this thread. Once I’m a bit more confident the motor is in solid shape we are trying to plan a much less ambitious trip south of the Vineyard in early August. Staying in Falmouth this year specifically to shorten the run to that bite.

Agree re this Thread. I used to do this high summer tuna stuff south of the Vineyard with my ultra slow but reliable Fortier. Completely over hauled it for reliability. So I am planning to take some time away from the warm weather doldrums beach fishing to do this. My years passed fish logs indicate I had many zero trips until the first week of August.

I need a good weather report to poke out 55 miles one way in a small slow boat. I would certainly welcome buddy boating this. I run out of Falmouth.

Ian 07-10-2018 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUERKRAUT (Post 1146368)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 1146220)
I’m gonna keep an eye on this thread. Once I’m a bit more confident the motor is in solid shape we are trying to plan a much less ambitious trip south of the Vineyard in early August. Staying in Falmouth this year specifically to shorten the run to that bite.

Agree re this Thread. I used to do this high summer tuna stuff south of the Vineyard with my ultra slow but reliable Fortier. Completely over hauled it for reliability. So I am planning to take some time away from the warm weather doldrums beach fishing to do this. My years passed fish logs indicate I had many zero trips until the first week of August.

I need a good weather report to poke out 55 miles one way in a small slow boat. I would certainly welcome buddy boating this. I run out of Falmouth.

Awesome! I’m a complete stranger to this kind of fishing, so maybe I should start a “time to get embarrassed by what I think would work fishing for school tuna” thread... :)

Sea Dangles 07-15-2018 08:05 AM

Things are really heating up down south. Not far out at all and lots of life.

bassballer 07-16-2018 08:22 AM

Anyone been hitting the edge bite? Seems to be en fuego

Sea Dangles 07-16-2018 07:35 PM

Cox'

Ian 07-17-2018 08:28 PM

Anyone care to PM with me about this kind of fishing so I can get a good feel for what I might be getting myself into?

I was watching Wicked Tuna to get some pointers but I feel like I’ve gotten everything I can from that show...

:P

bassballer 07-18-2018 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Dangles (Post 1146805)
Cox'

Seems those fish are a little to big for what were looking for. Waiting for smaller reports.

Sea Dangles 07-18-2018 03:14 PM

Monsters, but I saw smaller fish there too.