Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   TUNA & Big Game (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Got a small BFT today in RI (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=78069)

fish4striper 06-18-2012 07:57 PM

Got a small BFT today in RI

Wanted to get out this weekend but the wind sucked too bad for my boat, so took a vacation day. Ran out to the Gully, birds working, trolled around for a few hours ,all we picked up was some monster blues. Headed over to Mudhole and trolled for awhile but couldn't get anything. Headed to coxes, trolled a bit, then dropped some jigs for cod.

While jigging for cod, saw a few marks. Next thing I know on the drop, fish takes off with my jig, set the hook and it screams off. I was trying out my new spinal rod with my new Alutecnos gorilla reel to jig with so I was over gunned, 5 mins later we're gaffing the little guy!

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...2/7c80295e.jpg

On the way back in about 14 miles out, we saw a school going airborne. We got one cast into them before they went down. Never came up again. Kind of a slow day but nice to score 1st time out.

blondterror 06-18-2012 08:09 PM

Well done... congrats on your first of the new season... yowser

Sea Dangles 06-18-2012 09:19 PM

sweet

thefishingfreak 06-18-2012 09:26 PM

Nice job that's a great fight on a cod rod
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Piscator 06-18-2012 09:29 PM

Good stuff

PRBuzz 06-19-2012 04:57 AM

Nice fish Jeff! Yesterday was a great day to be on the southern waters.

Mr. Sandman 06-19-2012 05:13 AM

I was over your in that direction somewhat yesterday as well. There were some decent fish on the surface. Managed to get a fish or two onboard as well but nothing on the troll, just casting. I watched one make a hard turn and make a beeline right for my buddies plug, follow it and then nail the hell out of it. It was awesome to watch it unfold...I was shouting the play by play until he was on

Did you get any cod?

I always wanted to get one of those Alutecnos reels. How do you like it?

Moses 06-19-2012 05:57 AM

Congrats, that's great!

fish4striper 06-19-2012 06:31 AM

Thanks Guys.

Jim, After you said some were off MV beaches, almost headed East instead of toward our Gully to start. We did miserable with the cod.

Picked up the Alutecnos gorilla 12C used over the winter off a guy on 360tuna and this is the 1st decent fish on it. So far I'm really liking it, nice and light, powerful, smooth drag.

niko 06-19-2012 06:38 AM

so i should have went out w/ you yesterday :rotf2:, nice new reel

ThrowingTimber 06-19-2012 01:19 PM

Good stuff Jeff congrats! Nice way to break in the new reel :)

angler229 06-19-2012 04:32 PM

Nice Jeff, great way to start the season.

jasonsnova 06-19-2012 07:28 PM

great way to start the season congrats!!!!

Mr. Sandman 06-19-2012 07:33 PM

Jeff,
There are scattered pods of them around nomans, in shallower water than you would think. I ran to the claw, as I thought I was on the edge of something and wanted to get into the thick of it but I saw less and less life the deeper I went, turned around and came back and when I got to 70' they were on the surface. morning bite. Some fish >100 most 30-50. Saw one real big fish but most are the smaller ones shooting out of the water the like a subrocks
Been there for two weeks now feeding on something very small (baby squid??) I hope to go again on Thursday and this time when I get into them I plan to drop a butterfly. (I am also bringing a fly rod) :)

Heard about it from lobstermen working the general area and a bass guy got one on a bucktail and wire. So I figured it was worth a look.

Two weeks ago ran to the star and fingers saw them there too but could not get them to take anything.
I bet you have them at the fairway.

fish4striper 06-20-2012 09:56 AM

Little squid and I think butterfish in the stomach of this guy Jim.