Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   How To's, F.A.Q.s, Tips, & Tricks (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   how do you change split rings? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=39207)

patpatriot 03-14-2007 11:30 AM

how do you change split rings?

any ideas on how to switch or remove hooks, someway that wont bend the metal out of shape or take a really long time.

also, are yozuri swimmers negatively affected by putting feathered tailhooks on them?

jim sylvester 03-14-2007 11:46 AM

split ring pliers :huh:

never tried the feathers in the tail hook of yozuris

Raven 03-14-2007 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patpatriot (Post 473792)

also, are yozuri swimmers negatively affected by putting feathered tailhooks on them?

easier to use bucktails... straighter.. all feathers are curved...

but thats a "to each their own " kinda thing...

it improves the look and action i think... just my .02:chased:

patpatriot 03-14-2007 01:49 PM

thanks for quick response, i shoulda figured they made a tool for that... its a black/purple with similar 3 inch feather, ill have to wait till ice thaws to test it though.

Mike P 03-14-2007 02:19 PM

Do yourself a favor---invest in a good pair of heavy duty split ring pliers. A good pair should run under $15. The cheap $3 ones that are sold in a lot of shops won't last, especially if you're attaching heavy duty rings.

And please, make sure your replacement rings are at least HD stainless, or even better, the triple ring Wolverines.

basswipe 03-17-2007 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike P (Post 473844)
Do yourself a favor---invest in a good pair of heavy duty split ring pliers. A good pair should run under $15. The cheap $3 ones that are sold in a lot of shops won't last, especially if you're attaching heavy duty rings.

Best advice you'll ever get.

The cheapies suck with HD and better rings.Good splint ring pliers are a must.

luds 03-17-2007 06:45 PM

The Laker split ring plyers at walmart are surprising as good as anything out there for putting split rings on. I think they cost 5 bucs. just don't use them for anything else.

Redsoxticket 03-17-2007 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luds48 (Post 474897)
The Laker split ring plyers at walmart are surprising as good as anything out there for putting split rings on. I think they cost 5 bucs. just don't use them for anything else.

I second that.
I picked up a pair with the expectation that I would probably have to return them. There still functional for their intended purpose.

Now your question, How do you change the split rings?
The tip of the pliers are squeezed into the split ring grooves (perpendicular) nearest the opening. Then insert the hook eye onto the split ring, now work your way up the groove with the pliers anlog with the hook following closely behind.