Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Political Threads (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   We lost a good one yesterdat. RIP John McCain (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=94096)

JohnR 08-26-2018 01:13 PM

We lost a good one yesterdat. RIP John McCain

Don't always agree with him, but never doubted him.

Rest Your Oar, sir ~

Got Stripers 08-26-2018 01:27 PM

Yes we did, a true patriot and dedicated to his country, we could use more like him. Would have been interesting to travel back in time and see what might have happened with a different running mate in try number two. It’s a shame more aren’t willing to work across the isle as he was, not to mention the willingness to show respect to all his peers, regardless of the differences of opinions.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Guppy 08-26-2018 02:48 PM

We sure did.... RIP u earned it

Jim in CT 08-26-2018 05:35 PM

two of my favorites in the political world were Krauthammer and McCain. tough couple of months. i don’t see either being replaced, ever.

didn’t always agree with his votes, but man it was hard not to admire the guy.

Got Stripers 08-27-2018 07:14 AM

In typical “small man” fashion, Trump nixed the staffs prepared speech intended to praise McCain for his heroism and dedication, instead issuing a short tweet. Even in his death Trump wanted nobody to upstage him, no mention of his name in the recent bill he championed and little else on his passing, there’ character for you.

PaulS 08-27-2018 07:22 AM

RIP - a man who dedicated his whole life to the service of our country.

spence 08-27-2018 12:50 PM

I was going to vote for him before he picked Palin. Great man.

Trumps treatment of him has been beyond reproach. Team deplorable.

Pete F. 08-27-2018 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1149730)

Trumps treatment of him has been beyond reproach.

Really?
I might say reprehensible, deplorable or infantile

Got Stripers 08-27-2018 01:34 PM

Trump has already put the flags back to full height, McCain got one full day at half mast, great way to honor a true patriot.

JohnR 08-27-2018 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1149730)
I was going to vote for him before he picked Palin. Great man.

Trumps treatment of him has been beyond reproach. Team deplorable.

No you were not ; ) . We argued this at length ; )

Trump's treatment of McCain all along has been terrible.

I have read it goes back to the 90s when Trump wanted a several hundred mil federal loan WRT HUD / Development and McCain, as part of his Congressional duties said it was a bad idea to give DT that much money for development (agree).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Stripers (Post 1149735)
Trump has already put the flags back to full height, McCain got one full day at half mast, great way to honor a true patriot.

The Dad Fisherman 08-27-2018 02:23 PM

Thank You for your Service Sir

Gotta love it, JohnR starts a thread about McCain's passing and some people just couldn't NOT make it about Trump.

you know, a quick RIP, T&P's or "Thank you for your Service" would have sufficed.

Slipknot 08-27-2018 02:51 PM

God rest his soul.
A true American who cared greatly about his country and was passionate about his beliefs. I did not always agree with him and his choices but it was good to have him voice his opinions and viewpoints

RIP

Got Stripers 08-27-2018 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 1149738)
Thank You for your Service Sir

Gotta love it, JohnR starts a thread about McCain's passing and some people just couldn't NOT make it about Trump.

you know, a quick RIP, T&P's or "Thank you for your Service" would have sufficed.

Sorry but it angers me that such disrespect could be shown, his sacrifice of five tortuous years in captivity and decades of service to this nation deserved so much better. Actually I’m surprised you too won’t see that as a sign of disrespect.

afterhours 08-27-2018 04:28 PM

Didn't always agree with him...He was an American Hero of the first degree. RIP Sir.

Sea Dangles 08-27-2018 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Stripers (Post 1149741)
Sorry but it angers me that such disrespect could be shown, his sacrifice of five tortuous years in captivity and decades of service to this nation deserved so much better. Actually I’m surprised you too won’t see that as a sign of disrespect.

It’s actually a Trump like move. He honors American Indians and at the ceremony decides it is the right time to mock Liz Warren.

Got Stripers 08-27-2018 04:54 PM

In true Trump fashion, he ordered the flag up, Congress busts him on that, it goes down and Trump declares the flag will fly at half mast until his entournment; he saved the day again.

Jim in CT 08-27-2018 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Stripers (Post 1149748)
In true Trump fashion, he ordered the flag up, Congress busts him on that, it goes down and Trump declares the flag will fly at half mast until his entournment; he saved the day again.

It's interesting to see how many people embrace McCain, now that he can be used as a club against Trump. Wasn't that long ago, that the same people (Obama and the media) defending him today, were calling him a senile old racist. I'm not especially interested in what Trump or Obama or the New York Times has to say about a man they loved to kick around when it suited them.

I'm sure it was a celebration up there when McCain was welcomed home. When I think of him the last few days, I keep thinking of an Irish blessing often said for people who spent their lives serving others.

May the road rise up to meet you.
May forever the wind be at your back,
The sun shine warmly upon your face,
The rains fall gently upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of his hands.

RIROCKHOUND 08-27-2018 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1149757)
It's interesting to see how many people embrace McCain, now that he can be used as a club against Trump. Wasn't that long ago, that the same people (Obama and the media) defending him today, were calling him a senile old racist. I'm not especially interested in what Trump or Obama or the New York Times has to say about a man they loved to kick around when it suited them.

I'm sure it was a celebration up there when McCain was welcomed home. When I think of him the last few days, I keep thinking of an Irish blessing often said for people who spent their lives serving others.

And until we meet again,

Can you please show us the quote where Obama called him racist and senile?

Obama is speaking at his funeral, per reports I read at McCain’s choosing.

Jim in CT 08-27-2018 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND (Post 1149758)

the media called him too old to be taken seriously for the job, many times. obama
told a rally that mccain was going make people afraid of the fact that obama had a funny name, didn’t look like everybody else, and was black.

Jim in CT 08-27-2018 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND (Post 1149758)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hKgidqBztn8

spence 08-27-2018 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1149763)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hKgidqBztn8

Did you post the wrong link?

The Dad Fisherman 08-28-2018 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Stripers (Post 1149741)
Actually I’m surprised you too won’t see that as a sign of disrespect.

Never said that, never even inferred it.

Jim in CT 08-28-2018 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1149767)
Did you post the wrong link?

"They're going to try and make you afraid of me....did I mention that he's black?"

No I posted the right link. Did you, as usual, take off your thinking cap, and put on your tin foil cap, when you watched it?

Yes, you did.

You tell me what point Obama was trying to make. And you can google 100 articles of media making an issue of McCain's age, folks who I'll bet year's pay won't say the same thing if Biden runs again.

JohnR 08-28-2018 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1149757)

And until we meet again,

Yes - McCain is gonna kill us all, War Monger, We're all gonna Die, he is a rascist. Bet they'll say how honest Romney was and a guiding light and all that when it is his turn.

PaulS 08-28-2018 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1149771)
"They're going to try and make you afraid of me....did I mention that he's black?"

No I posted the right link. Did you, as usual, take off your thinking cap, and put on your tin foil cap, when you watched it?

Yes, you did.

You tell me what point Obama was trying to make. And you can google 100 articles of media making an issue of McCain's age, folks who I'll bet year's pay won't say the same thing if Biden runs again.

You said Obama called him a racist. Did he actually do that?

scottw 08-28-2018 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnR (Post 1149778)
Yes - McCain is gonna kill us all, War Monger, We're all gonna Die, he is a rascist. Bet they'll say how honest Romney was and a guiding light and all that when it is his turn.

NT Times Obama endorsement Oct 2008

"Mr. Obama has met challenge after challenge, growing as a leader and putting real flesh on his early promises of hope and change. He has shown a cool head and sound judgment. We believe he has the will and the ability to forge the broad political consensus that is essential to finding solutions to this nation’s problems.

In the same time, Senator John McCain of Arizona has retreated farther and farther to the fringe of American politics, running a campaign on partisan division, class warfare and even hints of racism. His policies and worldview are mired in the past."

scottw 08-28-2018 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulS (Post 1149779)
You said Obama called him a racist. Did he actually do that?

yes

Pete F. 08-28-2018 07:21 AM

John McCain chose George Bush and Barack Obama to speak at his funeral, not Sarah Palin and Donald Trump.
That ought to tell you something.

Jim in CT 08-28-2018 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnR (Post 1149778)

john, political expediency is all that matters to these people, they have no principles. none.

that mccain forgave obama, doesn’t mean obama didn’t hit him below the belt. it just means McCain was the better man.

Jim in CT 08-28-2018 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 1149786)
John McCain chose George Bush and Barack Obama to speak at his funeral, not Sarah Palin and Donald Trump.
That ought to tell you something.

it doesn’t tell me that obama didn’t call him a racist. what it does tell me, is what i already knew, that McCain is ten times the man Obama is. McCain angered republicans like me when he famously said we have nothing to fear if obama won. the remarks i posted in the video, show the gratitude that obama showed for McCains reassurance.

i also mentioned the media. endlessly saying he was too old, too much of a hawk on national defense. and the NYT running a front page story that he was a philanderer.