Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Kayaking (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Kayaker attacked by Great White (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=77582)

Sweetwater 05-16-2012 07:36 AM

Kayaker attacked by Great White

There are a few white sharks on the back side in Truro. I'll think I'll stick to the bay. :)

U.S. News - Yikes! 'Great white' shark attacks fisherman's kayak

The Dad Fisherman 05-16-2012 07:47 AM

Did you see the one last week about the guy attacked by the Gator....

Alligator attacks kayaker in Florida (VIDEOS)

Sweetwater 05-16-2012 08:21 AM

I don't know why, but the idea of being eaten by some critter while I'm fishing lacks appeal to me.

JohnnyD 05-16-2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweetwater (Post 939180)
I don't know why, but the idea of being eaten by some critter while I'm fishing lacks appeal to me.

"Critter" is an an insult to the awesomeness of great whites. Does make me think though... I think you're the one that told me you saw a seal get hit off the back side. Guess I won't be pushing my 'yak in off coast guard beach like I was planning.

FishermanTim 05-16-2012 12:26 PM

Maybe there should be a study of shark attacks (more like investigations) on kayaks, and see if a contrasting bottom (like painted lines compared to one color) is more or less likely to draw their attention?
I do know that their initial attack is based on their view from below, seeing only the shape outlined against the sky, but if that outline were broken up with colorful lines or shapes would that make a difference?

Just food for thought...

FinS 32 05-16-2012 02:40 PM

sounds more like an investigation bite. if it was truly hunting something tells me the yakker would not have made it through it to tell about it

Circlehook 05-16-2012 09:43 PM

I got seriously freaked out kayaking off Falmouth last summer by a large "shadow" I thought I saw. Probably not a shark but it was something. I would be curious to know if there is a color that is more shark repellant than others. After my knee surgery in February, I plan on more kayaking than ever this year.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

JohnnyD 05-16-2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FinS 32 (Post 939280)
sounds more like an investigation bite. if it was truly hunting something tells me the yakker would not have made it through it to tell about it

That's what I thought at first... until I read the article and saw the the white shark came out of the water. That's an ambush strike for dinner.

FinS 32 05-17-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyD (Post 939373)
That's what I thought at first... until I read the article and saw the the white shark came out of the water. That's an ambush strike for dinner.

forgot about that, I replied a few hours after reading it. :grins:

Rockport24 05-17-2012 03:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
you guys should be more concerned about this happening to you!