Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   New knees (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=87324)

Guppy 12-06-2014 05:24 PM

New knees

I'm at the end of the line with the knees the man upstairs gave me.
Served me well except for the last 10 years. Got to a point where their holding me back, got down into the canal a couple times this season and wasn't sure if I was going to get out LOL.

Wondering if any of you SB'rs have been through this and would care to share exsperiances,,, thinking of doing both at the same time,,, nuts right? 😄

Having rotator cuff tear repaired a month before,,, getting ready for the next 30 yrs..... LOL

nightfighter 12-06-2014 05:30 PM

Good long thread on this very subject on the other site. I am looking into one knee... just not sure what I would do if I could not kneel on it again.

iamskippy 12-06-2014 07:06 PM

My mother has had both knees completely replaced she can no longer kneel on them..
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

striperman36 12-06-2014 07:34 PM

I've had a partial knee replacement since 2009.
Rehab was interesting.....I nearly passed out several times over 12 weeks of PT, my injury was an incident 35 years ago that got progressively worse. Did not know I was compensating so much. Through PT I had to work out a completely new skeletal alignment.

BigBo had one done.

I have a friend who recently had both knees done at the same time. His original pain was 7-9 out of 10. He's chasing his kids around the backyard in Phoenix 10 weeks after.

Wife's best friend had a full replacement in August. Works retail at Basspro, on her feet 8 hours a day no issues

9-11 power tools are used plus a whole bunch of glue

If you have significant knee pain due to arthritis, depending on your age, knee replacement may be the right thing.

If you are younger than 45, there are other options, microfracture, maybe a better option

BigBo 12-06-2014 08:20 PM

Yes, I had my left knee done a couple years ago. The surgery is generally successful with most people. About 2-5% have troubles. I'm in that 2-5% :smash: Would I do it again? Yes. The troubles i have now are much less than before the surgery. I still have pain, but not even close to what I had before the surgery. Now my right knee needs to be done. Hopefully this time will be more successful than before. I'm getting regular cortisone injections now to hold me over until I'm ready (probably next year sometime). It's very painful though.
As some have mentioned, PT is the most important thing to success. I was diligent with the PT but still had some issues that I won't go into right now. As Skippy mentioned with his mother, I too have trouble kneeling on mine.
Again, I would and will be doing it again as I have no other options if I don't want to live with the pain.

striperman36 12-06-2014 08:57 PM

Sorry Bo. Hope this time around it works out better for you.

BigBo 12-06-2014 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by striperman36 (Post 1058312)
Sorry Bo. Hope this time around it works out better for you.

Thank you Bill

Guppy 12-07-2014 07:29 AM

Ross, sub out all the base board,,, LOL 😄 the stage I'm at, I can't even help with job cleanup,,, it's time

Thanks Bo, yes, good luck with the next one
Thanks Bill, like the sounds of that

I'm hoping my gym rat life style will help with the rehab

OLD GOAT 12-07-2014 12:30 PM

Hey Guppy Had two at a time.
Dr. wm. J. Manning,Hyannis.
Hospital3days, rehab 5 days, then home.
they had me up and walking with walker 2nd day.
piece of cake. I can jump over the moon(almost)
I can't say enough about the doc and hospital and rehab.
pm me If you want.

piemma 12-08-2014 05:05 AM

My right knee is really bad....bone on bone just from too many rough landings jumping out of planes and helos in the service.

2 years ago my doc talked of a total knee replacement but decided to try this new stuff...

"Synvisc-One is an injection that supplements the fluid in your knee to help lubricate and cushion the joint, and can provide up to six months of osteoarthritis knee ."

2 year of getting the shot every 6 to 8 months and it's a miracle in my case. Knee is like new, no pain and total mobility.

You should talk to your doc about it. It doesn't work quite as well for everyone but it did for me.

Guppy 12-08-2014 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piemma (Post 1058382)
My right knee is really bad....bone on bone just from too many rough landings jumping out of planes and helos in the service.

2 years ago my doc talked of a total knee replacement but decided to try this new stuff...

"Synvisc-One is an injection that supplements the fluid in your knee to help lubricate and cushion the joint, and can provide up to six months of osteoarthritis knee ."

2 year of getting the shot every 6 to 8 months and it's a miracle in my case. Knee is like new, no pain and total mobility.

You should talk to your doc about it. It doesn't work quite as well for everyone but it did for me.

Hi Paul
Was on that stuff for yrs.,,, last couple of shots had little effect. :-(
Good to hear it's working for you, happy knees :laugha:

PaulS 12-08-2014 01:06 PM

Dad had both knees done like 20 years ago. Said it was the best thing that he ever did. It is my understanding you have to do the rehab in the beginning which is somewhat painfull. He had a friend who didn't push themselves in the rehab and they have had problems to this day. Don't know how old you are but I would ask about the expected life span of the proposed knees. Obviously, the surgery is different today. Good luck, you shouldn't have any problems.

Guppy 12-08-2014 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulS (Post 1058420)
Don't know how old you are but I would ask about the expected life span of the proposed knees. Obviously, the surgery is different today. Good luck, you shouldn't have any problems.

late 60s and I'm planning on wearing out a couple of sets :rolleyes:

piemma 12-09-2014 03:59 AM

FYI Gup.....

How long do total knee replacements last? When knee replacement procedures were first performed in the early 1970s, it was thought that the average total knee implant would last approximately 10 years. We now know that approximately 85 percent of the knee implants will last 20 years.
Total Knee Replacement - Cleveland Clinic

Guppy 12-09-2014 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piemma (Post 1058450)
FYI Gup.....

How long do total knee replacements last? When knee replacement procedures were first performed in the early 1970s, it was thought that the average total knee implant would last approximately 10 years. We now know that approximately 85 percent of the knee implants will last 20 years.
Total Knee Replacement - Cleveland Clinic

Yup, that's my plan, 2x20,,, 109 yrs old! LOL

striperman36 12-10-2014 08:24 AM

Just be prepared for PT hell month, go get it done!

paradoxjim 12-11-2014 03:31 PM

I've already started the PT. I was originally scheduled for Feb 24, but got a call today and took a Jan 12 date instead. Starting to feel a lump of warm coal in my shorts!

Guppy 12-11-2014 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paradoxjim (Post 1058704)
I've already started the PT. I was originally scheduled for Feb 24, but got a call today and took a Jan 12 date instead. Starting to feel a lump of warm coal in my shorts!

LOL 😄
I'm jealous Jim, I'm scheduled for Feb., afraid I'll miss the spring run

striperman36 12-11-2014 10:08 PM

Doing PT PRIOR to choppin your leg in half is very important. You need to strengthen and stretch out the muscles and tendons around knee. the vmo is particularly problematic, I'm still workin on that muscle 4 years later

Rmarsh 12-12-2014 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guppy (Post 1058713)
LOL ��
I'm jealous Jim, I'm scheduled for Feb., afraid I'll miss the spring run

Hope all goes well for you Gup and that you heal up real quick and in time to enjoy most, if not all of the upcoming season.

My wife is having her left knee replaced..... scheduled for Jan 15. Says she wants to get it done now, to not miss out on any boat outings.

Guppy 12-12-2014 07:02 AM

Thanks Bob
My best wishes to the wife,,,
Hope you know how to cook! LOL ;)

iamskippy 12-12-2014 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by striperman36 (Post 1058766)
Doing PT PRIOR to choppin your leg in half is very important. You need to strengthen and stretch out the muscles and tendons around knee. the vmo is particularly problematic, I'm still workin on that muscle 4 years later

Agreed, i just spoke to my mother yesterday and shes struggling. It keep tightening up on her no matter what she does.

One of the challenges she face was have a massive heart attack which resulted in a quadruple bypass 3 months after her 2nd knee replacment. She was recovering from that which in turn impacted her knee recovery.

Moral if the story, its a long long road, the.better you prep and the more you use it, the better you will.be in he long run. If you have a problem with pain or someone who doesnt exercise or like to atleast walk alot your will not be happy with your results. This is coming from family and friend experience.

striperman36 12-12-2014 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamskippy (Post 1058784)
Agreed, i just spoke to my mother yesterday and shes struggling. It keep tightening up on her no matter what she does.

One of the challenges she face was have a massive heart attack which resulted in a quadruple bypass 3 months after her 2nd knee replacment. She was recovering from that which in turn impacted her knee recovery.

Moral if the story, its a long long road, the.better you prep and the more you use it, the better you will.be in he long run. If you have a problem with pain or someone who doesnt exercise or like to atleast walk alot your will not be happy with your results. This is coming from family and friend experience.

What he said, it will become a lifelong effort to get back

BigBo 12-12-2014 11:34 AM

I have found the best solution for me is the bicycle to keep the knees as flexible as possible. I do okay walking, but the bike really helps out more with keeping range of motion.

striperman36 12-12-2014 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBo (Post 1058816)
I have found the best solution for me is the bicycle to keep the knees as flexible as possible. I do okay walking, but the bike really helps out more with keeping range of motion.

Or an elliptical pounding on hard stuff bothers my knees

paradoxjim 12-12-2014 02:45 PM

I go to the Y at least twice a week and put in a half an hour on the bike and another half hour on the elliptical. Been doing this for more than 5 years and now the PT, too. The doctor said that both are good for strengthening and flexing the knee. I hope that this all helps in the recovery phase:)

striperman36 12-12-2014 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paradoxjim (Post 1058861)
I go to the Y at least twice a week and put in a half an hour on the bike and another half hour on the elliptical. Been doing this for more than 5 years and now the PT, too. The doctor said that both are good for strengthening and flexing the knee. I hope that this all helps in the recovery phase:)

Good Luck, it's an adventure

Guppy 12-13-2014 07:53 AM

Lots of great advice here, thanks all and happy knees to ya :thanks:

BigBo 12-13-2014 08:04 AM

My knees hate me. :(

iamskippy 12-13-2014 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBo (Post 1058932)
My knees hate me. :(

they should you abused them