Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   DIY - Forum (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Plumbing Bloopers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=93507)

Rmarsh 03-18-2018 06:35 AM

Plumbing Bloopers

Nobody is perfect...but come on!
These guys never cease to amaze me.
The holes where the faucets and tub filler are can be filled and repaired by a good fiberglass guy.
Too bad you can't fix stupid.

redlite 03-18-2018 08:51 AM

Looks like same plumber on the house we built on sawdy pond. He Put toilet on wrong side of bathroom right in front of door on one bathroom. Never ran water lines to master jacuzzi which wasn't discovered till after bathroom was done and tiled. Had to rip up both tiled floors and redo. And he didn't cap lines that were supposed to be run to jacuzzi tub so when home owner turned water on to water his grass it rained through to first floor destroying ceiling and bamboo floors so we got to redo those too. That's what happens when home owner "knows a really good plumber that's gonna give him a really good deal" that he prefers to use over our guy.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

spence 03-18-2018 12:34 PM

You can just sponge out the water on the low end. No biggie.

Duke41 03-18-2018 07:37 PM

I am a real estate broker in the Attleboro's recently had new construction sale. During the walk thru i Noticed that the faucet for the Whirlpool bath missed the lip of the tub by 3 inches. How the hell can you install that seeing it will not fit. No pride at all.

nightfighter 03-19-2018 08:02 AM

New construction? What do the drawings say? Should have been caught during the rough in........

Rmarsh 03-20-2018 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlite (Post 1139612)
Looks like same plumber on the house we built on sawdy pond. He Put toilet on wrong side of bathroom right in front of door on one bathroom. Never ran water lines to master jacuzzi which wasn't discovered till after bathroom was done and tiled. Had to rip up both tiled floors and redo. And he didn't cap lines that were supposed to be run to jacuzzi tub so when home owner turned water on to water his grass it rained through to first floor destroying ceiling and bamboo floors so we got to redo those too. That's what happens when home owner "knows a really good plumber that's gonna give him a really good deal" that he prefers to use over our guy.

Wow...what a huge mess! Could be the same plumber....or maybe a brother from a different mother.:)
We've had three different plumbing contractors over the last ten years... same piss poor workmanship and results.

The plumber should always be the one to turn on the main for the first time, with help to watch and listen for leaks...or uncapped lines!:shocked:

Just yesterday a plumber comes to me and asks to borrow a phillips bit, So I say, sure, and he follows me over to my cordless drill case. I go to remove the bit from the driver and he says he would like to borrow the driver too. I say OK and tell him it's brand new. He says "Yeah I got one just like it out in the truck"

Guppy 03-20-2018 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rmarsh (Post 1139761)
Wow...what a huge mess! Could be the same plumber....or maybe a brother from a different mother.:)
We've had three different plumbing contractors over the last ten years... same piss poor workmanship and results.

The plumber should always be the one to turn on the main for the first time, with help to watch and listen for leaks...or uncapped lines!:shocked:

Just yesterday a plumber comes to me and asks to borrow a phillips bit, So I say, sure, and he follows me over to my cordless drill case. I go to remove the bit from the driver and he says he would like to borrow the driver too. I say OK and tell him it's brand new. He says "Yeah I got one just like it out in the truck"

Geeees! :huh:

Slipknot 03-20-2018 10:04 AM

"I got one just like it out in the truck"

:rolleyes:

:wall::morons::morons::morons: :wall:

I hoped you closed the case and gave him a dope slap :hs:

Rmarsh 03-23-2018 04:40 AM

Slip.... couldn't believe it.....when he was done he put the driver back in the case.....but didn't latch it.... and when I picked up the case it opened and the contents went on the floor. :hs::eek:

afterhours 03-25-2018 06:56 AM

I feel blessed to have a good friend that's a plumber ;).

Rmarsh 05-19-2018 06:02 AM

Ok..now onto the tile setter bloopers.
Customer wanted the verticle accent centered on the shower valve....not centered on the wall! I cant answer why we keep using these guys! No common sense....I dont intervene anymore...and dont get paid to hold people by the hand. Also I refuse to interact with anyone on the job that doesn't speak English.....maybe that's why I'm talking to myself all the time.

spence 05-19-2018 07:56 AM

That's fugly. Also shouldn't the edge strip on the right be offset?

Guppy 05-19-2018 10:41 AM

Yah, but they got it vertical at least

Good eye 👁 spence

beamie 05-19-2018 01:30 PM

That seems more like the plummers fault to me than the tiler.

Rmarsh 05-19-2018 02:05 PM

Not really...The plumber installed his valve and shower head "first" during the rough and centered it within the curb..inside the glass enclosure ....it made no sense at all for tile setter to do what he did...none. I have a lot of years in the trade (45) so it is obvious to me when someone screws up.

beamie 05-19-2018 03:08 PM

I was thinking the fixture would have been centered from the outside of wall to corner.

Rmarsh 05-23-2018 06:09 AM

Two wrongs do not make a right. You have to think about what you're doing. Don't just blindly go about your work when something is this obvious. Plumbers drain, valve, and showerhead all centered on shower base (inside curb). I didn't like the verticle accent idea to begin with but I could not look at that #^&#^&#^&#^&ed up job every day.

spence 05-23-2018 06:22 AM

How does this stuff not get corrected and they just plow forward? I would have never accepted that work.

Rmarsh 05-23-2018 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1143124)
How does this stuff not get corrected and they just plow forward? I would have never accepted that work.

I guess it's up to the customer to accept or not....I would not.
These tile setters are very young and inexperienced......and they don't speak english.....I refuse to guide, interact, explain, or hold by the hand any workman who doesn't speak the english language.
I don't run the company....If I did things would be very different.

Guppy 05-23-2018 02:05 PM

I think speed was the deciding factor here, ya start with a full tile against the trim pcs (no cutting) then you cut a bunch of half’s (one cut give ya two pcs), put in the full sheet accent (no cutting) , start with full and half again, cut your way to the wall....

Go have lunch and a couple beers 🍺

Rmarsh 05-24-2018 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guppy (Post 1143162)
I think speed was the deciding factor here, ya start with a full tile against the trim pcs (no cutting) then you cut a bunch of half’s (one cut give ya two pcs), put in the full sheet accent (no cutting) , start with full and half again, cut your way to the wall....

Go have lunch and a couple beers 🍺

Going to retire in a few more years, and go fishing.:cheers:

Rmarsh 10-27-2018 06:22 AM

Here we go again.....ass clown plumber calls for his "final" inspection....plumbing inspector comes and runs the hot water in kitchen sink to test for max temperature...its ok.....then down to the basement to check on things......all that water he ran for test is now all over the basement floor.....sink drain was NEVER CONNECTED!
Of course it failed inspection.......but should have been noticed by inspector on rough inspection...so he's pissed...and embarrassed.

Liv2Fish 10-27-2018 03:24 PM

Why let the electrician off the hook too? going to suck when they want to finish the basement.

Slipknot 10-27-2018 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liv2Fish (Post 1154063)
Why let the electrician off the hook too? going to suck when they want to finish the basement.

You aren't kidding
I have seen many examples of electrical bloopers

Rmarsh 10-28-2018 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liv2Fish (Post 1154063)

Yeah ...but it's not likely to fail an inspection or cause extensive damage.

Most of these basements, when finished, will have a dropped ceiling anyway.....and those wires would be simple to move if needed.

The electricians do have their problems though....I gave them the nickname "The Keystone Cops" because of all the chaos and confusion they create for themselves, while blaming each other and their boss for being idiots.

Guppy 10-28-2018 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rmarsh (Post 1154035)
Here we go again.....ass clown plumber calls for his "final" inspection....plumbing inspector comes and runs the hot water in kitchen sink to test for max temperature...its ok.....then down to the basement to check on things......all that water he ran for test is now all over the basement floor.....sink drain was NEVER CONNECTED!
Of course it failed inspection.......but should have been noticed by inspector on rough inspection...so he's pissed...and embarrassed.

Looks like the pipe was there when the box was foamed....
Probably a test plug in at the kitchen on rough in... :smash:

Rmarsh 10-28-2018 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guppy (Post 1154099)
Looks like the pipe was there when the box was foamed....
Probably a test plug in at the kitchen on rough in... :smash:

I've seen many, many subcontractors go down the toilet:laughs: because as they get more work, they get overwhelmed and hire more incompetent, untrained, and unsupervised help.

This particular plumber has all recent voke tech kids, drops them at the job and leaves.......nothing against the young guys learning the trade....but the boss is a half-assed plumber to begin with...so they are learning from a hack.. He is also a plumbing inspector in a local town.

Guppy 10-28-2018 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rmarsh (Post 1154100)
I've seen many, many subcontractors go down the toilet:laughs: because as they get more work, they get overwhelmed and hire more incompetent, untrained, and unsupervised help.

This particular plumber has all recent voke tech kids, drops them at the job and leaves.......nothing against the young guys learning the trade....but the boss is a half-assed plumber to begin with...so they are learning from a hack.. He is also a plumbing inspector in a local town.

What a shame!
They’ll end up thinking all contractors are slugs and maybe miss out on a good career.....

Rmarsh 10-29-2018 05:39 AM

When I was just starting out, young guys like me were called a"carpenters helper"...not a carpenter.... and that label stuck until you reached a certain level of skill and knowledge...usually a couple of years... but today anybody who straps on a tool belt is called a carpenter.....when put to the test, its obvious they know very little.

The trades are in bad shape....too many kids were led to believe that a college education was the only way to go. Sad because many graduate with no skills, no job......and big student loans.

Rmarsh 11-15-2018 06:36 AM

So the electricians forgot to rough wire for under cabinet lights in the kitchen...here is their elegant solution for getting wires routed.
Luckily someone spotted it before the stove got re-installed.