Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Political Threads (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   American job openings outnumber the jobless, first time ever recorded (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=93813)

Jim in CT 06-10-2018 12:23 PM

American job openings outnumber the jobless, first time ever recorded

Cannot fail to be good for the American worker. I know, the current POTUS is a Republican, and also a jerk, so we aren't supposed to say anything good about him...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/america...ess-1528212776

Nancy Pelosi, who called tax-cut-fueled bonuses and raises "crumbs", also feels like low unemployment isn't a big deal for the average citizen. By all means, let's give her the speaker's gavel back for round two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdl_6g8x4ns

Jim in CT 06-10-2018 12:27 PM

"You're going to win so much, you're going to get tired of winning. Believe me." -candidate Donald Trump

wdmso 06-10-2018 04:41 PM

I would give him some credit for the presenting a pro business attitude which has helped but wages are flat .. numbers dont match reality for example my daughter is a dental hygienist her pay is 39.00 an hour but can only get 26 hours a week and can not find an office who provides 32 or a 40 hrs week .. most have multiple hygienists dividing the 40 hrs with no benfits ... but enjoy more min wage jobs

but to say his policy's and the tax cuts are responsible is folly you put some serious words in her mouth "feels like low unemployment isn't a big deal for the average citizen." were did she say that she said what i said with out wage growth whats the point

The Dad Fisherman 06-10-2018 04:51 PM

Did you really just say “What’s the point?”

Serenity Now

How about people can have some self respect and earn their paycheck instead of getting a handout.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

JohnR 06-10-2018 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1144292)
I would give him some credit for the presenting a pro business attitude which has helped but wages are flat .. numbers dont match reality for example my daughter is a dental hygienist her pay is 39.00 an hour but can only get 26 hours a week and can not find an office who provides 32 or a 40 hrs week .. most have multiple hygienists dividing the 40 hrs with no benfits ... but enjoy more min wage jobs

but to say his policy's and the tax cuts are responsible is folly you put some serious words in her mouth "feels like low unemployment isn't a big deal for the average citizen." were did she say that she said what i said with out wage growth whats the point

Those evil Dentists make sure they close one day a week and keep the shifts short (they do - few are open 5 days a week)

Jim in CT 06-10-2018 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1144292)

Well when Obama was president, a whole lot of people were impressed with his low unemployment ( not as low as it is now), and the stock market ( not as high as it is now). Trump also lowered the effective tax rate for huge numbers of us. Obama never did that.

Let’s come up with a set of standards, and apply them uniformly, regardless of which party the sitting potus is in.

Jim in CT 06-10-2018 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 1144293)
Did you really just say “What’s the point?”

Serenity Now

How about people can have some self respect and earn their paycheck instead of getting a handout.

Serenity now, serenity now!!!

Liberals don’t really differentiate between earning a paycheck and getting a welfare check.

zimmy 06-10-2018 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1144297)
also lowered the effective tax rate for huge numbers of us. Obama never did that.

Let’s come up with a set of standards, and apply them uniformly, regardless of which party the sitting potus is in.

You should probably get your facts straight before you make such request.

Jim in CT 06-10-2018 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zimmy (Post 1144299)
You should probably get your facts straight before you make such request.

Which facts did I get wrong?

You should probably back up those assertions, rather ham lobbing vague insults and scurrying off.

Pete F. 06-10-2018 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnR (Post 1144296)
Those evil Dentists make sure they close one day a week and keep the shifts short (they do - few are open 5 days a week)

Actually what the dentists do is control the practice of dentistry and make it so a hygienist cannot practice independently
There are not enough dentists in this country to provide care to all
Hygienists in some countries can do minor procedures
There are ways it could be organized to make it more cost effective and likely not as good. Overall does “not as good” make a statistical difference in the dental health of a population compared to no care?

Pete F. 06-10-2018 10:36 PM

Sounds to me like we need someone who can negotiate so we can have a new immigration policy. Remember who controls Congress and the Presidency

detbuch 06-10-2018 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 1144307)
Actually what the dentists do is control the practice of dentistry and make it so a hygienist cannot practice independently
There are not enough dentists in this country to provide care to all
Hygienists in some countries can do minor procedures
There are ways it could be organized to make it more cost effective and likely not as good. Overall does “not as good” make a statistical difference in the dental health of a population compared to no care?

Can you explain how the dentists are able to prevent hygienists from doing minor procedures?

Sea Dangles 06-11-2018 07:13 AM

My hygienist cleans my teeth, minor procedure....

Pete F. 06-11-2018 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Dangles (Post 1144314)
My hygienist cleans my teeth, minor procedure....

They cannot legally work unless they work under the supervision of a dentist.
Like all professions it is partially for the protection of the public and partially for the protection of the licensees.

scottw 06-11-2018 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 1144315)

Actually what the dentists do is control the practice of dentistry and make it so a hygienist cannot practice independently.

Like all professions it is partially for the protection of the public and partially for the protection of the licensees.

:huh:

spence 06-11-2018 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1144284)
Cannot fail to be good for the American worker. I know, the current POTUS is a Republican, and also a jerk, so we aren't supposed to say anything good about him...

It doesn't mean that much unless it actually translates into wage growth. Looks like this statistic has only been tracked for the last 17 years so the historic significance isn't really that impressive. All these stats have pretty much been in a straight line since the recession.

Big items to watch will be the tax cut burn out as the bump fades, healthcare costs are expected to rise dramatically this year which will offset pay or tax benefits for most people and this idiotic trade war talk that has the potential to trigger a global recession.

scottw 06-11-2018 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1144320)
Big items to watch will be the tax cut burn out as the bump fades, healthcare costs are expected to rise dramatically this year which will offset pay or tax benefits for most people and this idiotic trade war talk that has the potential to trigger a global recession.

keep hoping...:fishin:

Pete F. 06-11-2018 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 1144322)
keep hoping...:fishin:

A boat would be more appropriate for you to troll from

detbuch 06-11-2018 09:08 AM

Quote:

It doesn't mean that much unless it actually translates into wage growth. Looks like this statistic has only been tracked for the last 17 years so the historic significance isn't really that impressive. All these stats have pretty much been in a straight line since the recession.

How about if wages don't "grow" but there are more jobs available to employ those who otherwise wouldn't have the opportunity?

detbuch 06-11-2018 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 1144315)
They cannot legally work unless they work under the supervision of a dentist.

"They cannot legally work"--since when did the dentists create and enforce laws?

Pete F. 06-11-2018 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detbuch (Post 1144328)
"They cannot legally work"--since when did the dentists create and enforce laws?

Who is on the board?
They cannot be self employed in most states
Mass rules
Massachusetts 2009
Chap. 112, Sec. 51.
Public Health Dental Hygienist:
Dental hygienist may provide services without the supervision of a dentist in public
health settings including, and not limited to, hospitals, medical facilities, schools and
community clinics. Prior to providing services, a public health dental hygienist must have
a written collaborative agreement with a local or state government agency or institution,
or licensed dentist that states the level of communication with the dental hygienist to
ensure patient health and safety. Public health dental hygienists shall provide patients
with a written referral to a dentist and an assessment of further dental needs.
Requirements: Dental hygienist must have at least 3 years of full-time clinical
experience practicing in a public health setting and any other training deemed
appropriate by the department of health.
Provider Services: Dental hygienist can provide full scope of dental hygiene practice
services allowed under general supervision in the private office, including prophylaxis,
root planing, curettage, sealants and fluoride.
Vt rules
Vermont 2008
Rule 10.2
General Supervision Agreement:
Dental hygienist may provide services in a school or institution under the supervision of
a dentist via a general supervision agreement. The agreement authorizes the dental
hygienist to provide services, agreed to between the dentist and the dental hygienist.
The agreement does not require physical presence of the dentist but it stipulates that
the supervising dentist review all patient records.
Requirements: Dental hygienist must have 3 years licensed clinical practice experience.
Provider Services: Dental hygienist can provide sealants, fluoride varnish, prophylaxis
and radiographs. Periodontal maintenance is allowable to patients with mild
periodontitis.

Pete F. 06-11-2018 09:28 AM

Mass board
Dr. Stephen DuLong, Chair Dentist 6, Faculty
Ailish M. Wilkie, CPHQ, Secretary Public 1
Dr. David Samuels Dentist 1
Dr. John Hsu Dentist 4
Dr. Paul Levy Dentist 2
Dr. Patricia (Pei-Hua) Wu Dentist 3
Dr. Cynthia M. Stevens Dentist 5
Lois Sobel, RDH Dental Hygienist 1
Jacyn Stultz, RDH Dental Hygienist 2
Kathleen Held Dental Assistant
Vacant Public 2
Vacant Dental Assistant Advisor 1
Vacant Dental Assistant Advisor 2

spence 06-11-2018 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detbuch (Post 1144326)
How about if wages don't "grow" but there are more jobs available to employ those who otherwise wouldn't have the opportunity?

Well, we're technically at full employment already. Low unemployment is great but there are a lot of measures to the health of the economy.

Jim in CT 06-11-2018 09:45 AM

Quote:

"It (low unemployment) doesn't mean that much unless it actually translates into wage growth."

First, I'd bet my life in exchange for a quarter, that's not what you said when unemployment dropped when your hero was president. Second, I would contend it means a lot when someone who was looking for a job, accepts a job. Might not be their dream job, but it's better than no job, unless (like you, apparently) you don't see inherent dignity and value in a day's pay in return for a day's work.

"Looks like this statistic has only been tracked for the last 17 years so the historic significance isn't really that impressive."

Those 17 years include two terms under Obama, who couldn't manage to pull it off.

"healthcare costs are expected to rise dramatically this year "

As opposed to the way they dropped under Obama.

liberal=good, conservative=bad, we all get it.

spence 06-11-2018 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1144333)
"It (low unemployment) doesn't mean that much unless it actually translates into wage growth."

First, I'd bet my life in exchange for a quarter, that's not what you said when unemployment dropped when your hero was president. Second, I would contend it means a lot when someone who was looking for a job, accepts a job. Might not be their dream job, but it's better than no job, unless (like you, apparently) you don't see inherent dignity and value in a day's pay in return for a day's work.

You're adding words to my statement to change its meaning. That's not very nice.

Quote:

Those 17 years include two terms under Obama, who couldn't manage to pull it off.
Ummm, Obama inherited one of the worst recessions in US history. As for "pulling it #^&#^&#^&#^& it's kind of a novelty statistic.

Quote:

As opposed to the way they dropped under Obama.
The ACA absolutely had a significant impact on slowing the rise of health care costs exactly as it was designed to do. Trump has effectively and intentionally broken the system and the markets are poised to respond against the consumer.

This is going to be a huge issue in the mid-terms.

Pete F. 06-11-2018 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1144333)

liberal=good, conservative=bad, we all get it.

Just remember, There's a special place in Hell, if you don't lie down and take it from Trump.

spence 06-11-2018 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 1144336)
Just remember, There's a special place in Hell, if you don't lie down and take it from Trump.

Just remember, we're seeing "conservatism" at its finest.

Pete F. 06-11-2018 12:29 PM

Actually I think in some peoples minds it is free market good, Obama bad.
Don't get lost in political rhetoric.
You should actually look at the change in healthcare cost over time before you say ACA was bad, it was the first step in a process.
https://www.thebalance.com/causes-of...-costs-4064878

Jim in CT 06-11-2018 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 1144336)

I'm highly critical of his character. But when he enacts great public policy, I give him credit. The economy is roaring, at a time when many economists feel we are past due for a recession.

scottw 06-11-2018 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1144334)

This is going to be a huge issue in the mid-terms.

you are almost always wrong...:wave: