Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Surfcasting Rhode Island (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Surfcasters - Who are they most like? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=54569)

Joe 01-19-2009 11:56 AM

Surfcasters - Who are they most like?

If you had to pick out a group of hobbyists - they don't have to be sportsmen - who would you say are most like surfcasters?

nightfighter 01-19-2009 12:56 PM

Surfers... They have an intricate network of trusted friends to find out where the conditions have been best. Often takes a roadtrip to get to do their thing. They go out in some crazy weather, at peril to life and limb. They share a love of the ocean and a camraderie with their kind. While they may congregate at one location, it is still an individual endeavor.

Nebe 01-19-2009 02:58 PM

high school drama queens... or the group of old ladies at church that gossip about everyone.. :hihi:

Crafty Angler 01-19-2009 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightfighter (Post 656156)
Surfers... They have an intricate network of trusted friends to find out where the conditions have been best. Often takes a roadtrip to get to do their thing. They go out in some crazy weather, at peril to life and limb. They share a love of the ocean and a camraderie with their kind. While they may congregate at one location, it is still an individual endeavor.

I have to agree with Rosco - I still surf, 44 years this coming summer if I'm still ambulatory by then.

Same kind of dedication from the faithful - and the discomfort level and work ethic is pretty muh the same too if you want to succeed at it. Lots of parallels from my point of view - still enjoy both equally, it's my Zen according to my bride.

Thank God she's a tolerant woman - of course, I also got her involved in both so it helps and she enjoys it as much as I do even though she may not always be as...uhhh...avid a devotee as I am.

Obsessive, I think she calls it, if memory serves...:hihi:

spence 01-19-2009 07:10 PM

Good thread...

-spence

Joe 01-19-2009 07:25 PM

People like interesting things.

wader-dad 01-19-2009 08:30 PM

Im thinking of mountain climbers.

Technical gear is similar. Tread on approach shoes hotly debated and crampons are a form of korker. You have a climbing belt with attachments like carabiners and braid ropes 1000 pound test. Headlamps for starting before sunrise. Swinging an ice ax is like the motion of a cast. Climbing poles like wading staffs

Clothing is technical layering and climbing pants and fabrics are kind of like waders,

Traction needed on rocks, weather conditions come into play. Climbing over boulders and a Jetty like traversing a rock face. Getting to the summit give similar thrills. Planning involves looking at structure and how to approach it.

Main difference is you can't have any body fat and you get all the women you want.

PI guy 01-19-2009 09:49 PM

Birders. They quietly tell their inner circle where the birds are, get pissed off if some googan with cheap equipment gets too close to the "target", and spend a lot of money on gear! At least that's been my experience with them on the Island! Not that I feel left out or anything. :hihi:

Nebe 01-19-2009 10:28 PM

how about compulsive gamblers..

Joe 01-19-2009 10:33 PM

Lots of OCD people and people with substance abuse issues and people who are prone to depression. But that can be said about society in general also.

Crafty Angler 01-20-2009 04:34 AM

I don't know, Joe - you may be right -

I know when I've got a little extra folding money squirreled away the first thing I want to do is belly up to the counter for a rip-roaring tackle bender -

'Hey, just give me one more plug and I'll leave, I promise...gimme a dozen eels for the road too..."...:hihi:

If you think I'm kidding, ya gotta see Uncle Crafty's Tackle Shack...:hs:

Joe 01-20-2009 09:59 AM

I have some serious tackle junkies that are customers - I never ask why somebody wants something, but I wonder it.

GattaFish 01-20-2009 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe (Post 656506)
I have some serious tackle junkies that are customers - I never ask why somebody wants something, but I wonder it.

Shhhhhhh.... even our early bass catching forefathers had that sickness,,,,,,

I am still waiting for the ADD 10 to basket Icon.... :huh:

Nebe 01-20-2009 10:18 AM

Quote:

fishweewee :agree:

The Dad Fisherman 01-20-2009 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 656203)
high school drama queens... or the group of old ladies at church that gossip about everyone.. :hihi:

Funny, 1st thing that popped into my head were a bunch of bingo Ladies

they get there early to pick thier "Spot" and if they get there and someone else is sitting there they get all pissy because after all in that very Public bingo hall....that's their spot.

They get suspicious if somebody is constantly going "large" and think there must be something more to it.

And they hang around the Bingo Forums fighting about tyhe stupidest things too pass the time until the next Bing season starts.

http://onlinebingoforum.co.uk/

STREETFIGHT 01-20-2009 01:09 PM

Quote:

:wave:

Slipknot 01-20-2009 07:04 PM

how about a pool player?
it's individual
they use a stick
and use angles
some get pretty obsessed

I like Nebe's answer too :D
other than that ya, surfer:uhuh:

tlapinski 01-20-2009 08:19 PM

I would say drug addicts. Always looking for the next fix whether it be cow bass, another plug, or flame war. Just one taste is never enough.

Plum Crazy 01-21-2009 07:42 AM

Bi-Polar manic depressives or children.
Sometimes one bad thing can ruin their day or throw them into an ever wondering stupor of what went wrong.
During times of deprevation (like now) they are known to lash out, turn sullen and walk around in a stupor.
They tend to have a one track mind and refuse to let anything get in their way.
Show careless reguard for putting themselves in danger.
:humpty:

Joe 01-21-2009 09:34 AM

I saw a show on Eskimos recently. One Eskimo guy had a bunch of rotten teeth, he said, "That's what happens when a meat eater becomes a sugar eater."

If it were like the old days we would be reclusive like we were meant to be. You did not take up standing on a rock in the night because you were a people person. People would be less likely to gossip if the Internet did not impose a feeling of connectedness and community upon people.

NIB 02-09-2009 06:08 PM

NIB is One Wolf..

Joe 02-09-2009 08:09 PM

http://www.worth1000.com/entries/244...4668GlNK_w.jpg

Slipknot 02-09-2009 08:26 PM

yep, that's NIB
spitting image

NIB 02-09-2009 08:38 PM

A wolf in sheeps clothing..:chased: