Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   anyone else seen ghost at the canal? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=87071)

FishermanTim 10-29-2014 10:50 AM

anyone else seen ghost at the canal?

Can't say for certain, but saw something last night that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up like they were charged with electricity!

Slipknot 10-29-2014 11:53 AM

We're you near the cribbin?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Mike P 10-29-2014 12:21 PM

I have. Lots of people I know well have, too. AFAIK none of them are druggies and/or insane.

Rockport24 10-29-2014 01:25 PM

There was a thread about this years ago with some great stories - I think yours was one of them Mike!

Duke41 10-29-2014 02:02 PM

I saw a dead body in a net tied to the side of a Coast Guard patrol boat April of 1975. We had just picked up our new boat at Tartan Marine in Plymouth and were bringing it back to Newport. 2 things happened saw that body which I will never forget and we got caught in a Spring Blizzard that was brutal and scary to a 14 year old.

JohnnySaxatilis 10-29-2014 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishermanTim (Post 1055244)
Can't say for certain, but saw something last night that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up like they were charged with electricity!

well dont be shy, tell us what you saw so we can criticize and ridicule

FishermanTim 10-29-2014 05:04 PM

Last night fished the east end, and as I was facing east, I saw (well I "thought" I saw three people walking back towards Pips.
As the first person passed behind me and I turned right to check my back-cast (for safety reasons), I turned back to the east and now only saw 1 person walking west?!?
The person in the middle was now gone!

Now that in itself wasn't too scary, since I presumed the odd man out had gone back for some reason. After the two men had passed by I continued fishing.
About a half hour later, I happened to "see" something out of the corner of my eye. When I turned to see whatever it was, there was nothing there.....or so I thought!
I turned back tofishing and got that "corner of the eye" feeling again, and when I looked over to my left (where the earlier men had walk from) I saw what I could only describe as a formless fog/cloud stationary along the jetty.
Now the wind was blowing pretty constant from the west, so no real fog or cloud could remain stationary there, so when I made a few more casts and looked back each time the "fog" was moving closer each time.

This is when the hairs on the back of my neck stood up like they where charged with eletricity,and I packed up and hauled a$$ out of there.
I'd like to think that I'm not easily scared by ghost or eerie events, but seeing how this season has gone, I didn't want to come face to face with some malevolent fish-spirit looking to take vengence on the first angler it came across!!!

Have a happy halloween, and if you're still fishing...Good Luck!!!

Guppy 10-29-2014 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke41 (Post 1055257)
I saw a dead body in a net tied to the side of a Coast Guard patrol boat April of 1975. We had just picked up our new boat at Tartan Marine in Plymouth and were bringing it back to Newport. 2 things happened saw that body which I will never forget and we got caught in a Spring Blizzard that was brutal and scary to a 14 year old.

Where you in hog isl. Chanel when that hit?
Closest I ever come to going down

Duke41 10-29-2014 05:32 PM

no we had to duck under the Elizabeth islands and hide out in Cuttyhunk. The boat took a pounding. Scared me witless.

Mike P 10-30-2014 01:14 PM

The Cribbin ghost is supposedly the spirit of a young girl who was murdered and had her body dumped nearby, according to what I've heard. My ghost passed by at the west end, and watched me fish for 45 minutes before "evaporating".

Huff, one of the old Lepers, occasionally greets people near "his" woods, which is the area behind the post office in Buzzards Bay. Tagger met him awhile back. I know Huff, and maybe that's why he's never said hi to me.

piemma 10-31-2014 09:46 AM

I have not only at the Canal but at Narrow River, Napatree Point and Deep Hole.
I wrote and article for the Fisherman but never sent it to Toby. Maybe I should.

Hookedagain 10-31-2014 06:53 PM

I fished the Narrow River the night before that guy committed suicide a few years ago. I am so glad I didn't find him. A fisherman was walking the rocks casting along when he sees a guy sitting with a shotgun in his lap. Stating he didn't want any trouble and trying to reason with the guy, turns out he had already pulled the trigger. What an awful feeling that must have been. Talk about ruining the night.

afterhours 11-02-2014 08:03 AM

have had the feeling of being watched and caught something out of the corner of my eye more than once down there....always when im alone

Nebe 11-02-2014 09:23 AM

The year was 2035 and I think I saw a striped bass..
Naw... Must have been a ghost.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device