Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   How To's, F.A.Q.s, Tips, & Tricks (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Conventional Reels ... Leverwind vs No Leverwind (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=11214)

srfcstrrpc 11-26-2003 06:15 PM

Conventional Reels ... Leverwind vs No Leverwind

- question in regards to conventional reels. What would you reccomend for surfcasting leverwind or no leverwind? I was looking into getting a PENN 975.... Thanks

BigBo 11-26-2003 08:04 PM

Really depends on you. If you're relatively new to conventionals, go with levelwind. You might loose a very slight distance with the levelwind, but they're probably easier to learn with.

Notaro 04-21-2004 09:00 AM

Go with no levelwind. They cut down distance and create a bird's nest fast. If you read Ron Arra's book, he recommends a low-profile conventional reel, meaning less stuffs on it, the better. So if you are fishing off the shore, lose the levelwind. It's comfortable and easier. i just started my conventional fix. No levelwind is a way to go.

spence 04-21-2004 09:06 AM

If this is your first conventional I would definately get a level-wind. While leveling the line isn't rocket science it does have a huge impact on your ability to cast well. Make it as easy as possible on yourself so your line is in the water rather than in a birds nest. Keep the reel clean and lubed and you should be in good shape.

I'd also look at the Abu's. From what I've read they may not be as durable in the long run, but they can take the surf a bit better and are easier to cast.

-spence

Notaro 04-21-2004 09:07 AM

If I get a abu w/ levelwind, im gonna hacksaw it off and file it down.

Fishpart 04-21-2004 10:18 AM

Depends on the type of fishing you plan on doing. If you are fishing at night making a lot of casts with plugs, eels, or jigs you should certainly have a levelwind; the loss in distance is negligible compared to the ease of use when falling asleep on your feet.

I can't really comment on the Penn international baitcasters because I have never used one. I have been very happy with ABU Garcia baitcasters with levelwinds in both the 6500 and 7000 size. In the 6500 size there are several models with a bearing levelwind that virtually eliminates the "loss of distance :rolleyes:" you get with a levelwind.

fishaholic18 04-21-2004 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Notaro
If I get a abu w/ levelwind, im gonna hacksaw it off and file it down.
:laughs: Notaro, don't hack it off, you'll wreck it. You can take the reel apart and remove it nicely if you want it off. I'll tell you how if you want.

Notaro 04-21-2004 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by fishaholic18
:laughs: Notaro, don't hack it off, you'll wreck it. You can take the reel apart and remove it nicely if you want it off. I'll tell you how if you want.
Someone once told me that I could. Alright, I would like to know how to remove a levelwind from an abu or any reel if I ever purchase one.

Bassman18 04-21-2004 11:24 AM

I told you so! :wall: ;)

Notaro 04-21-2004 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bassman18
I told you so! :wall: ;)
Damn you for being right.

maddog2020 04-29-2004 11:27 AM

975 w/ levelwind is very forgiving reel especially if you are new to coventionals IMHO. Used one last season and was impressed with it. MikeCC @ M&D's has the 975 w/ levelwinds at a super price - fyi. I have 50 lb PP on mine.

I started last year with an Abu C-5 mag-x 6600 and 17 lb mono and then went to 30 lb stealth after a month of use. Thicker mono will make picking out rats nests easier. ;) Any magnetic braked reel with aid in over runs.

If you are going to be fishing in the dark - the fish are close to shore so distance isn't usually an issue. Practice outside and make sure you casting motion is fluid without a wrist snap and you will be OK.

RIROCKHOUND 05-02-2004 03:21 PM

Penn 965/75 great boat reels... suck in the suds.. not very durrable at all... go squidder... or go home :D

trigga 05-27-2004 10:25 AM

i checked out capecodtackle website..some good deals. i have an opiton to buy a used penn 975 (good condition for $100). any recommendations on doing that or just picking about a brand new Abu 7000 C3 for $115 or BigGame for $140.. any opinons? just looking for a solid reel that will last, bait fishing the canal and boat fishing.. all those reels are in my price range, just not sure which to go for.. any recommendations?

JohnR 05-27-2004 02:42 PM

Trigga - I'll trade you a new 7000C3 for the 975 - Seriously :D ... john@striped-bass.com (most will vouch for me as I run this site :hihi: )

Depends really on what you want to do, they are all pretty good reels. The capacity is a little more on the 7000 - but not much. 7000 handles abuse a little better and the only real upgrade it needs would be the Smoothie Drags... about $6