Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Sports Talk - Title Town (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Bruins/Canucks- Stanley Cup Thread! (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=71315)

spinncognito 05-27-2011 10:25 PM

Bruins/Canucks- Stanley Cup Thread!

It has been 20 years since they made the finals. It has been almost 40 since they won it all.

So I ask once again:

IS

THIS

THE

YEAR?

Raider Ronnie 05-28-2011 02:56 AM

Yeah Baby

Mr. Sandman 05-28-2011 06:51 AM

It is do-able but it will not be easy. I think if the D can shut down their stars, we can beat them

DMenace 05-28-2011 09:48 AM

We gotta keep them from coming out of their own end with speed. They move the puck better than anyone we've played so far. Montreal and Tampa are fast and great passing teams, Vancouver does that twice as good. We need to play the same game they played in game seven every night. I know this though, I'll be there for at least game four. Six if they play it as well. Go B's

MarshCappa 05-31-2011 01:14 PM

I honestly have no clue. I didn't have them getting past Philly so this is just amazing too me. I don't know enough about Vancouver other than looking up their stats and they are very impressive. Experts say the Bruins will be over matched. I'll be watching every second and pulling for the B's to win. Unbelievable! GO B's!!!!!!!!!!!!!

afterhours 05-31-2011 06:16 PM

B's in six.

Raider Ronnie 05-31-2011 06:58 PM

Anyone else wish the "Pink Hat" bandwagen jumpers would get lost ?
A bit annoying to me all of a sudden the people who know nothing about hockey (including most of the guys on sports talk radio) all of a sudden are die hard Bruins fans and hockey experts.
Anyone can jump on a bandwagen when the team wins !

ProfessorM 05-31-2011 07:53 PM

I'm just going to enjoy it and hope for the best. Going to be very enjoyable, unless they get swept. I give them a 50/50 chance.

Piscator 05-31-2011 09:09 PM

I'm lucky enough to be going to game 4.

On the cheap too, my neighbor ask me if I wanted to go (his Dad has seasons tickets). I was 12 in '88 & 14 in '90 and remember it like yesterday and can't wait.

Goose 05-31-2011 09:15 PM

I think the Bruins win two games.
upset?? i hope so.
Canada is so friggen goo-gaa about Vancouver makes me sick.

good2hook 06-01-2011 11:38 AM

Bruins in 6.
Vancouver comes out like gang busters early in game 1, once Boston settles in they run away with the game. Final 6-2.

Game 2 Vancouver wins 4-2, empty net goal.
Game 3 Boston wins 2-0
Game 4 Boston wins 4-3
Game 5 Vancouver wins 5-2
Game 6 Boston hoists their first Stanley Cup since '72
4-1, the final.

Tim Thomas wins' the Conn Smythe.
Bank on it.

Bronko 06-01-2011 01:06 PM

The two big keys for the Bruins to win this series....

1.) obviously stay out of the penalty box. The Vancouver PP is incredible. The Bruins can play 5-5 with anybody in the league.

2.) Match-ups. Chara and Seidenberg on against the Sedins as much as possible and the Bergeron line against the Kessler line.

Then pray timmy Thomas stands on his head.

Bruins in 6.

spinncognito 06-01-2011 01:22 PM

Gonna be a lot of fun to watch this series. I think it is difficult to predict how it will go but am confident there will be no sweep by either team. fffing Barry Melrose picked the canucks in 4! A-hole!

Hopefully the B's will be flying home with at least a split. Despite all the offensive stars on the ice it will come down to defense and goal tending.

Is it 8 O'Clock yet?

spinncognito 06-01-2011 10:00 PM

WTF- he was offsides!

What a game. Thomas stood on his head but Luongo made some superb saves. Gotta get the split on Saturday night.

Saltheart 06-02-2011 10:29 AM

Heartbreaker!

It looked to me like for the last 8 minutes or so they were playing "not to lose" instead of "to win". Tough lose for the goalie!

fishbones 06-02-2011 10:59 AM

Great game by both teams, especially the goalies. Unfortuntely in a game like that, one mistake can mean a loss. The B's showed that they can play with the Canucks and I thought they played a little better last night, even being the road team. I thought the refs were a little too involved, but I understand that they don't want things to get out of hand early in the series. I wonder if Burrows will be suspended and if so, for how long?

FishermanTim 06-02-2011 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spinncognito (Post 862696)
WTF- he was offsides!

What a game. Thomas stood on his head but Luongo made some superb saves. Gotta get the split on Saturday night.

Exactly!
In the replay of the player crossing the line, the official that waived the offsides was facing the goal. He wasn't watching the line, and yet he made the call? I think that the B's thought he was offsides as well, but I guess you can't criticize the officiating, particularly when they allowed Vancouver to throw a few face jabs with no warnings.

Who dis they pick as commentators for the game?
It was almost as bad as listening to Joe Buck do a baseball game or Brent Musberger do anything!

I guess we'll just have to beat them at their own game on Sat.

eskimo 06-02-2011 03:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was almost certain he was off sides but he wasn't as you can see. Pretty lucky toe drag to keep it alive and good eye by the linesman if he did see that.

I thought the Bruins outplayed the Nucks but they seem to come hard towards the end and the Bruins starting playing defense as if they were protecting a lead. Only problem was they didn't have the lead.

Thomas wanted it and deserved the win.

spinncognito 06-04-2011 10:09 PM

Alright, we got them right where we want them, down 2-0.

That cocky bastage Borrows should not have been playing.

Bruins will take the next two.

fishsmith 06-05-2011 06:37 AM

Let's get Thorton back on the ice to kick some ass!! I'm pissed no one has taken run at Burrows or the equal puke Lapierre. I was sure that once we had a power play the gloves would drop.

Oh well .... GO BRUINS!!!

afterhours 06-07-2011 06:28 AM

wow....great game! thomas was amazing... hope horton's okay (his season is probabaly over). rome needs to be suspended- hit was late, high, and blindside. methinks the canucks woke up a sleeping bruin :smash:.

spinncognito 06-07-2011 06:40 AM

Very satisfying response by the Big Bad Bruins. Won't mean a thing unless they follow it up with another win tomorrow night. Thorton was the spark they needed and now Sequin will get another shot replacing Horton.

That was a lot of fun to watch! 3 more wins!

Mr. Sandman 06-07-2011 07:14 AM

The message sent was:

Welcome to Boston :fury:

FishermanTim 06-07-2011 10:27 AM

Rome should be suspended for as many games as Horton is out.
Make it an "eye-for-an-eye" so that players will think twice about that kind of hit.

I did like the B's defense, and Thomas was stellar as usual.
The only Vancouver goal was the result of a slash that no one saw that created that opening to Thomas's right.
They showed the play leading up to that goal and you can see the Bruin player getting whacked on the back of the calf and fall down as the offending canuck set up shop for the shot.

Th B's need to back off on the taunting and keep focused on the game at hand. Maybe they will show a repeating loop of the Horton hit in the locker room before the start of each period on Wednesday?

Saltheart 06-07-2011 11:54 AM

He's lucky to be alive. After Romes hit sent him flying backwards off his feet , his head hit the ice hard. In the old no helmet days , he'd be dead.

I think it was a cheap shot way late. As far as what penalty for Rome , I would have to leave it to the experts. The real damage was done when his head hit the ice IMO and that's not something Rome could predict.

My guess is first time the Bruins play whatever team Rome is on next year , he gets clocked several tines. In fact since he is no kind of star at all , they would be smart not playing him against the B's. for a while.

Real shame for Horton though. Hopefully there's no further complications as he recovers

Thumper 06-07-2011 12:04 PM

Rome is suspended for four games.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

fishbones 06-07-2011 12:10 PM

The Canucks hate the type of game that was played last night. The B's hit them at every chance and made them not want to go into corners or around the net. The Sedin's were almost non-existent. If the B's want to win this series, they need to keep playing at that level and keep hitting the soft Cunucks. They also need to be smart and not get goaded into stupid penalties by the cheap shot hacks like Burrows and LaPierre. Hopefully the momentum from last night carries over into tomorrow and the fans get reall loud. If the B's come out hard and score early, the Nucks will fold like last night and start thinking of heading back home. I also think Luongoal might be mentally damaged after last night. Stupid move for the coach to leave him in in the 3rd period.

good2hook 06-07-2011 04:26 PM

Canucks won't win another game. They woke up a sleeping giant. Wheres this Bruins team been? Thomas has been unreal.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

PaulS 06-07-2011 06:21 PM

I'm not a hockey fan so what made it a dirty hit? Was it b/c he led w/his shoulder, that he launched himself or just that the bruin didn't have the puck?

Was the suspension worse b/c the bruin got hurt?
Thanks

spinncognito 06-07-2011 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulS (Post 863899)
I'm not a hockey fan so what made it a dirty hit? Was it b/c he led w/his shoulder, that he launched himself or just that the bruin didn't have the puck?

Was the suspension worse b/c the bruin got hurt?
Thanks

Cannot hit or interfere with a player who does not possess the puck. Cannot hit another player in the head with intent to injure- by launching himself he was intent on injuring. I think he would have gotten the same punishment even if the injury was less severe as the leauge is trying to eliminate hits like that from the game.

I gotta ask, have you watched any of the games and if so, does it make you appreciate hockey more or less so than other sports you are a fan of?