Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   thinning etex (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=81791)

Diggin Jiggin 04-05-2013 11:59 AM

thinning etex

Has anyone used thinned etex as a topcoat? I usually use sys3 clear coat but I'm out. I'm not that into it anymore and didn't have great luck with it last time so I bought it so I picked up some etex at michaels w/ a coupon and have been thinning as a sealer with denatured alchohol.

I started out with etex as a topcoat a long time ago but I was putting it on too thick and it yellowed a lot, so I'd moved on to the sys 3 stuff which is much thinner. Now I'm wondering about using the etex thinned. Has anyone tried that as a topcoat ? I did a few plugs I hadn't epoxied from last year and it looks ok but wondering if it will hold up.

Slipknot 04-05-2013 12:05 PM

I don't think you need to thin it Dave, just be sure the temp. is warm enough and it should flow on ok thin enough, you can even do 2 coats.
I know guys have thinned etex but I personally have not.

chefchris401 04-05-2013 12:32 PM

try this method, its like its thinned and goes on smooth and easy, hope that helps

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...te-method.html

fishbones 04-05-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diggin Jiggin (Post 993251)
Has anyone used thinned etex as a topcoat? I usually use sys3 clear coat but I'm out. I'm not that into it anymore and didn't have great luck with it last time so I bought it so I picked up some etex at michaels w/ a coupon and have been thinning as a sealer with denatured alchohol.

I started out with etex as a topcoat a long time ago but I was putting it on too thick and it yellowed a lot, so I'd moved on to the sys 3 stuff which is much thinner. Now I'm wondering about using the etex thinned. Has anyone tried that as a topcoat ? I did a few plugs I hadn't epoxied from last year and it looks ok but wondering if it will hold up.

Dave, I'll take any of your plugs that have yellowed if they're too ugly for you.

Rockfish9 04-05-2013 02:33 PM

I've never seen the need... I use small batches ( 6 plugs at a time = 2 tablespoons hardenr and 3 tabelspoon of resin... added in that order) my plugs are in the spinner ( heated) and I heat the e-tex prior to mixing.. this seems to cure most ills with the stuff... i find it does yellow a little with time.. but I'm no selling them so I can deal with it...

Tagger 04-05-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockfish9 (Post 993291)
I've never seen the need... I use small batches ( 6 plugs at a time = 2 tablespoons hardenr and 3 tabelspoon of resin... added in that order) my plugs are in the spinner ( heated) and I heat the e-tex prior to mixing.. this seems to cure most ills with the stuff... i find it does yellow a little with time.. but I'm no selling them so I can deal with it...

Joe your not mixing etex 50/50 as stated in the directions .. More resin ? thanks ...

Diggin Jiggin 04-05-2013 03:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by chefchris401 (Post 993264)
try this method, its like its thinned and goes on smooth and easy, hope that helps

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...te-method.html

I do something similar. I use a big blue maxwell house plastic coffee jug of hot water to heat the bottles. Once they are warm I pull them out and fill the jug back up with hot water. I cover the lid with foil and set it on top upside down and pour the epoxy onto the foil. The heat from the water in the jug underneath keeps the epoxy warm. I usually warm my plugs before epoxy as my basements pretty cold.

I haven't used etex in a while, I'll try it with the normal 1 to 1 mix and see how it goes.

Joe I find it interesting you use a 2 to 3 mix.

When I thinned it for sealing it was very nice to work with and it had a much longer pot life so I was just wondering if anyone had done that for topcoat. I flipped them a few times, the excess dripped off similar to the sys 3 stuff and they look good.

chefchris401 04-05-2013 07:15 PM

Cool shape, reminds me of a bob Hahn number 9
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Tagger 04-05-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diggin Jiggin (Post 993296)

Joe I find it interesting you use a 2 to 3 mix.

Yea ,, me too .. More resin would make it more flexible at the risk of being sticky .. If I know Joe he's on to something ..

Tagger 04-05-2013 08:27 PM

and Rossy !!!!! love that plug ..

iamskippy 04-05-2013 09:41 PM

I have thinned it when i have added heavy pearls, use very small amounts of denatured alcohol, doesnt compromise the finish.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

surfflyfish 04-05-2013 11:05 PM

dont thin it, not needed.