Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Wood burning stove question (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=97895)

Nebe 01-23-2022 10:15 PM

Wood burning stove question

My house is a couple of hundred years old and had a coal parlor stove on the first floor at some point and the 6” opening is still there and capped with a metal pie plate looking cap.
In the basement, I have an oil burning furnace that uses the chimney. Is it code friendly if I drop a stainless chimney liner down the chimney and use it with a new wood burning stove ?

Guppy 01-24-2022 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 1221249)
My house is a couple of hundred years old and had a coal parlor stove on the first floor at some point and the 6” opening is still there and capped with a metal pie plate looking cap.
In the basement, I have an oil burning furnace that uses the chimney. Is it code friendly if I drop a stainless chimney liner down the chimney and use it with a new wood burning stove ?

In the same flue as the furnace,,,, umm, I wouldn’t think so … I’ve seen a couple real messes with oil burners that didn’t breath well ….. GL

Nebe 01-24-2022 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guppy (Post 1221251)
In the same flue as the furnace,,,, umm, I wouldn’t think so … I’ve seen a couple real messes with oil burners that didn’t breath well ….. GL

Ok thanks !
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

spence 01-24-2022 05:53 PM

I don’t think any way that’s compatible with code. Even my house which is also old has two separate chambers in the chimney for the fireplace and the boiler.

Last house, I was remodeling the upstairs and found the chimney in the wall had an opening like yours for a heat register box. Wasn’t sealed other than a 10 inch square of tin and some tack nails. Good god. Bricked it in and lined with seamless stainless when I replaced the boiler.

redlite 01-24-2022 06:42 PM

Call your RI town hall/ building inspector from a pay phone to check code regulations. Doesnt sound bueno with out a double barrel flue for mass code

spence 01-24-2022 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlite (Post 1221311)
Call your RI town hall/ building inspector from a pay phone to check code regulations. Doesnt sound bueno with out a double barrel flue for mass code

WTF is a pay phone?

Hookedagain 01-24-2022 07:23 PM

In Ma you can only have one fuel per flue.

Nebe 01-24-2022 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hookedagain (Post 1221314)

Right. But if you throw a flexible flue liner down the chimney, wouldn’t you now have 2 flues ? This is what I’m not sure about.

piemma 01-25-2022 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 1221249)

Needs to be a separate flue for the wood stove. We have a 10' square central chimney with 3 flues. Went we put woodstoves in both fireplaces, I had to put 6" stainless liners in each flue. the 3rd flue is for the furnace.

Pete F. 01-25-2022 04:44 AM

I’d call the Lord of the Flues
I don’t know anything about the business, but I love the name

piemma 01-25-2022 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hookedagain (Post 1221314)

Same in RI.

Nebe 01-25-2022 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piemma (Post 1221361)
Same in RI.

So I can’t do what i want to? I guess I could pop a hole in my exterior wall and run a double walled pipe up to the roof line..

Guppy 01-25-2022 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 1221394)
So I can’t do what i want to? I guess I could pop a hole in my exterior wall and run a double walled pipe up to the roof line..

Good choice me thinks… not the prettiest on the exterior but safe and functional……
Don’t f up that place, I’ve seen the pics, …… LOL

Nebe 01-25-2022 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guppy (Post 1221395)
Good choice me thinks… not the prettiest on the exterior but safe and functional……
Don’t f up that place, I’ve seen the pics, …… LOL