Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Rod Building (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   LIGHT COLOR UNDERWRAP ? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=76635)

pbadad 03-20-2012 06:15 AM

LIGHT COLOR UNDERWRAP ?

I'm using Sunburst colored A thread underwraps on a Century blank. I don't want the black blank to bleed through. I have done this on a prior rod by painting the underwrap section with white oil base primer. Are there other ways to get the brightnes of the color from being tainted with bleed through?

beamie 03-20-2012 08:25 AM

Use NCP thread. Is far less attractive and doesn't glisten but gives you a solid color without the bleed. That is a great idea with the under paint, have never tried that.

Saltheart 03-20-2012 09:17 AM

Light colored thread sucks. You need to pack the threads very tight together and use at least 2 coats of color preserver. Even thin its iffy. The white paint under does help.

I try to avoid light colors like the plague. Nothing but trouble , doubler the work , even then sometimes you get spotty bleed through.

FinS 32 03-20-2012 01:14 PM

i recently just did one with white under wraps. it sucked to do but as saltheart said keep it packed tight, NCP thread and 2-4 coats of cp. Just make sure you didnt mark the blank with like a sharpie or anything cus likely that will bleed through a little onto a light thread. good luck

pbadad 04-06-2012 06:31 PM

Finally finished lay out testing. Blank is painted white to wrap with Gudebrod Sunburst yellow nylon A under wraps. I lightly scuff the wrap area with a gray pad and put 3 light coats of Krylon primer. After drying hard (24hr) I will color preserve (1 coat) the white area dry over night then wrap. Will update as progress goes.

pbadad 04-07-2012 05:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Painted guide underwrap locations.

Saltheart 04-07-2012 09:40 AM

Light Gudebrod colors like yellow and orange are much better than the Pro Wrap in the same colors. Interestingly enough , I did a pink one using Gudebrod and had no issues at all while yellow and orange are a problem. Go figure.

makomania 04-08-2012 08:15 PM

there's an SOL thread on this same issue. The ProWrap nylon is much more transparent than the Gudebrod in the same colors.

I have 2 Century's that are getting an orange nylon under, I plan to just do 3 coats CP and see how it goes. Make sure to wrap tight and burnish well and you should be ok. The real problem can come with a light overwrap over a darker color, it can bleed even with CP.

beamie 04-09-2012 06:39 AM

I hope things worked out well for you. You never know until after spending all that time and then coating.

I am a huge fan of light color underwraps but I have been burnt too many times. Best to stay with the ncp thread for them. I have tried multiple coats 4-5 of cp on light colored nylons to have 99% of the coating look great then you get into some small blotchy area where god knows what happened. Very frustrating.

So as others have said. the best way is to stay away from some of t hese lighter colors.

Saltheart 04-09-2012 11:32 AM

SZure fire success with lightest of threads is to apply a layer , CP it 2 copats , very thin epoxy layer. then rewrap the whole thing in a second layer , CP and finish with epoxy two caots. You will get the full color of the thread but what a PITA!. :)

pbadad 04-09-2012 05:21 PM

I've done trial wraps of yellow, orange, white nylon on dark blanks. No matter how much CP you use the blank will bleed through. I've wrappped A silver thread then rewrap with light color, came out good. I rather paint the wrap area , Cp the painted spots then wrap and CP the thread to dissallow the epoxy from changing the color.

pbadad 04-22-2012 01:54 PM

Sunburst underwrap done

1 Attachment(s)
rod looks great. Butt wrap next.

chefchris401 04-22-2012 02:46 PM

Wow billy that came out great!!

I have a few more century rods to build, might have to use that technique

Nice bruins color scheme :)
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Saltheart 04-22-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbadad (Post 934610)

Is that Pro Wrap thread?

pbadad 04-22-2012 08:01 PM

Gudebrod.

pbadad 04-22-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chefchris401 (Post 934619)
Wow billy that came out great!!

I have a few more century rods to build, might have to use that technique

Nice bruins color scheme :)

Thanks Chris. Never thought of Bruins color. The butt wrap came out sick. I posta pix when epoxy dries.

pbadad 04-23-2012 06:32 AM

CenturySunburst butt wrap

1 Attachment(s)
Sunburst over white paint, light coat epoxy then wrapped w/ butt braid and epoxied.

chefchris401 04-23-2012 08:57 AM

Looks great Billy.

That sunburst really pops with the white paint underneath

Saltheart 04-23-2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbadad (Post 934687)
Gudebrod.

OK. Gudebrod is manageable. I have done yellow and orange and pink etc for problem colors with Gudebrod and done OK. Prowrap is another animal though.

That is a great hue to the yellow Gudebrod though. Nice Job!

beamie 04-24-2012 06:13 PM

Looks Great!!!!!

agsurfr 04-25-2012 09:37 PM

Billy--That wrap is awesome!!!!

Tell the owner it sucks and sell it to me!

Really amped!

Looks better than I imagined and the butt is spectacular.

Can't wait to fish it!

Thanks Mr. President

aram

pbadad 04-26-2012 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agsurfr (Post 935283)
Billy--That wrap is awesome!!!!

Tell the owner it sucks and sell it to me!

Really amped!

Looks better than I imagined and the butt is spectacular.

Can't wait to fish it!

Thanks Mr. President

aram

You peaked!!!

agsurfr 04-26-2012 08:47 AM

I got a txt last night that pics of my rod were up on the web. Figured this had to be the place.

Spies are everywhere

Thanks Billy

ab

wader-dad 04-30-2012 10:04 PM

looks great guys. Congratulations Aram

taJon 05-04-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbadad (Post 934610)

it sure does!

agsurfr 05-05-2012 12:06 PM

Picked up the finished rod the other night from Billy. It's gorgeous! The colors really pop and the wrap itself is hot. I had no idea light colored underwraps were such a hassle when I asked Billy to build the rod up in those colors. He did a great job and I couldn't be happier.

Time to go fishing