Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Kayaking (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   First Trip Out 2017 (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=92051)

Got Stripers 03-25-2017 03:30 PM

First Trip Out 2017

3 Attachment(s)
About a dozen Crappie on the float & fly and then a nice bite from about the same number of nice pickeral and two small bass. Osprey were in the area of the herring run and one I'm pretty sure took a pickeral I hooked and released with a 3" long gash on it's side. I'm guessing that pickeral may have slipped out of another osprey's grasp, only to come under the talons again.

Thumper 03-25-2017 08:41 PM

Awesome! I have been considering dumping most of my surf gear and getting a hobie. The surf isn't what it used to be with all the internet heros and know it alls, it's pathetic. My own plastic island sound more and more attractive every year.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Got Stripers 03-26-2017 08:35 AM

I was concerned about the move myself, loved my center console, but it was the perfect time to sell it and ironically I'm filling my freezer with more and bigger Black Sea Bass and Fluke then I did out of the boat. Sure there is that occasional flat calm morning in June or late October when I wish I could hook up the boat and run down to Westport for some light tackle striper action off Gooseberry or tog out on Ribbons Reef, but the money saved every year is important to pay for my other obsession golf. The Hobie also keeps you fit, if you don't work your legs, you don't go anywhere.

Zeal 05-10-2017 12:24 PM

Congrats man! I just have 2 trips under my belt but didn't get to fish much since I'm learning to paddle and deal with currents/tides/wind etc. Good on you!

BigFish 05-10-2017 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeal (Post 1121765)
Congrats man! I just have 2 trips under my belt but didn't get to fish much since I'm learning to paddle and deal with currents/tides/wind etc. Good on you!

One word......."Hobie"! :kewl:

Zeal 05-11-2017 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFish (Post 1121787)
One word......."Hobie"! :kewl:

Now now, let's not hijack a thread! You still need to know how to paddle because those pedal drives can break, get jammed, etc.

Got Stripers 05-13-2017 08:10 AM

Just ask my son, who wanted to take those last few casts for tog last week, but saw me and his ride getting closer to the ramp. When a 6'4" boy and 250 lbs decide to put the screws to the peddles to beat feet, well cast aluminum looses that battle. I'm loading my yak on the trailer and look back and see paddles not peddles moving him; welcome to the most lessons in life are expensive club son.