Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Movies, Classics to Less than Normal (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   movie review - Where the Wild Things Are (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=60156)

RIJIMMY 10-29-2009 10:52 AM

movie review - Where the Wild Things Are

Non spoiler review -
I was really looking forward to this movie, growing up in the sevenites and also reading this book to my kids. It is an innocent, fun book. Well - I guess it can be interpreted a bunch of ways......
What an incredible downer movie. Imagine a movie where you never smile, never laugh and never feel any suspense. Why bother? The visuals are cool, but thats about it. My kids 5 and 7, love movies and can easliy sit though an adult non-action movie. they were fidgeting in their chairs after the first 30 mins. So where the other 15 kids in the theatre. the movie did move me to refect on my childhood and the opening scene with a snowball fight seemed like something taken right out of my life story. Did the movie suck? I cant say, because I dont know what it was trying to do. I can say i was very disapponyed and feel an opportunity to bring the monsters to life was lost.

eskimo 10-29-2009 11:59 AM

Not sure if your familiar with Spike Jonze or not but this exactly what I expected from him. Therefore I wasn't disappointment and thought it was great.

No suspense, No climax, just a story.
Although your not the only one that thought it sucked.

Slingah 11-01-2009 01:36 PM

I saw it yesterday....I thought it was well done...not great, but worth seeing. The creatures were pretty realistic. The whole movie sort of had a laid back feel to it...light...

RIJIMMY 11-02-2009 04:19 PM

wow, Im suprised Slingah!
light? Every word from the creatures mouths was like a prozac clinic.

Slingah 11-02-2009 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIJIMMY (Post 721103)
wow, Im suprised Slingah!
light? Every word from the creatures mouths was like a prozac clinic.

maybe your right bout the prozac...:rotf2:
for some reason that book depressed me when I was a kid...movie was a bit depressing too.....I like depressing movies....

BigFish 11-02-2009 05:12 PM

Ummmmmm......G......G..............G........:)

Nebe 11-02-2009 07:35 PM

If Jim didn't like it, I'm sure I'll love it :)
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

striperman36 11-02-2009 08:34 PM

My friend's son read for the lead, I went with him last spring. The casting director was a friggin idiot.
I never saw so many 10-12 year olds with agents, geez

Nebe 11-24-2009 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 721161)
If Jim didn't like it, I'm sure I'll love it :)

Saw it yesterday... What a f-ing downer of a movie. I get the moral of the movie, but i'm on the same page as Jim.... I needed Prozac instead of popcorn.

RIJIMMY 11-25-2009 12:09 PM

Whew, thanks Neb. I thought maybe I was missing something. I get the jist too but you sit through the whole film with an awkward smirk on your face, its like going out with another couple and they're bickering with each other, you're just uncomfortable and just want it to be over.

WESTPORTMAFIA 03-18-2010 11:05 PM

I watched this the other night. It was creepy for me. I didn't like it at all nor did i get it. Friggin weird!!!!!! This would be a good one on a couple of tabs of orange sunshine maybe. I was thinking to myself I hope my son doesn't act like this mental case when he gets older (SCARY) I would rather be 10 and watch a nightmare on elm street.