Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   New Tactical Anglers...Plastic Smart Lures (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=68082)

blondterror 12-21-2010 07:30 AM

New Tactical Anglers...Plastic Smart Lures

Some good design work appears to be used in these plastic lures... time will tell if they live up to Alberto's HYPE!

They have introduced a large darter, a pencil, and a popper. I have yet to see them in person but the pics make them look sexy.

They all have a rattle inside..

The recessed gill plates look very cool... I may try to make clones in wood with internal rattles....

Similiar to SuperStrikes plastic lures

blondterror 12-21-2010 07:31 AM

Long Island Outdoor Communicators Network: Member Update: Alberto Knie

There are pictures of the 3 designs in this link

BigFish 12-21-2010 07:33 AM

:spam:

blondterror 12-21-2010 07:39 AM

Larry... my point was the unique features of these plastic lures that Knie is promoting... many of these ideas can easily be made in wood with rattle components bought from the FW lure component suppliers

I have made several wood Smack-its with noise makers inside a chamber in my lures and they are great

BigFish 12-21-2010 07:43 AM

As a site sponsor I object to the content. This was obviously a link taken directly from the Tactical website and the second link is all over Facebook this am posted by Alberto himself. This is not a slight on Alberto and his business........just the way this was presented is wrong and you made no comment about your intent when posting them....simply the link and content. The fact that the first post carries contact information and phone numbers and such make it SPAM. Thats all.

blondterror 12-21-2010 07:56 AM

Thanks Larry.... I cleaned up the 1st post and added a couple of comments-

Great feedback... what was i thinking....

Chris

afterhours 12-21-2010 07:58 AM

yup sounds like an ad to me...just sayin'. support your sb.com sponsors.

BigFish 12-21-2010 08:02 AM

Thanks Chris. For the record I have no problem AT ALL about people talking about other lures or products....Tactical Angler products in particular I have heard wonderful things and they look cool! No doubt a guy like Alberto knows his stuff and is putting out a great product so never a problem discussing any products.....thats how we all learn and become informed. Just the way you presented it flies in the face of sponsorship rights here. :)

Thanks for the backup Don!:uhuh:

JohnR 12-21-2010 08:04 AM

Guys, we are supposed to have some open discussion, not spam. If Alberto comes out with something, people are going to discuss it. If Joe Smith comes out with something, it probably doesn't - or at least as quickly. I don't see this as spam.

UserRemoved1 12-21-2010 08:05 AM

FIRE

:rotf2:

chefchris401 12-21-2010 08:40 AM

Having used and tried a few of these plugs I'll give you some feedback.

DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE

The darter is big and runs real deep, twice as much in my findings as a super strike. I didn't care for action either.

The popper that's supposed to be the loudest thing out there, not really. I've used wood plugs that throw more water.

Haven't used the pencil.

The finish on the plugs I bought at one of sb sponsors stores were sub par. Inconsistent paint, drips in the finish and not that durable.

I think the products have potential and places to fish them, IMO I think they were rushed out to fill orders.

I love his clips and have switched over to them exclusively.

The plugs also don't come with hooks.

I do like the gill designs and rattles. I don't think the gills do much more than catch fisherman.

I can't wait to see his 650 dollar custom lami in person. That should be interesting.

I'll stick with super strikes and nb if I want plastic plugs.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

lazzyone 12-21-2010 08:51 AM

I wonder about the line tie on the darter?

numbskull 12-21-2010 10:12 AM

Doesn't the guy get most of his big fish on bait?

Pretty hard to design great plugs if you are not commited to fishing them and learning from it......although I suppose you can get lucky.

BIG TIM 12-21-2010 12:07 PM

They should stick to speed clips........

dannyplug1 12-21-2010 08:07 PM

i want to be clear I have seen the alberto plugs at SWE in Newport but have not tried them. they look but ugly It will take a ton of people getting a ton of fish before I buy one or two. If I buy a plug that does not catch at least I can hang it up in the man cave (my sub artic garage) and admire it as art work. Just my opinion

seabuggy 12-21-2010 09:10 PM

I have used the clips, but not while trolling my favorite plugs. Does anyone have experience using these new clips while pulling lumber? If I lost one of my favs because of these clips, I would be very upset and seeking vengeance. I have always tied the plugs on, so as to eliminate hardware.

chefchris401 12-21-2010 09:13 PM

I switched to these clips this year and I like them more than the fast links or breakaways.

Heavy duty and they don't get loose after a full day of plugging like the other ones.

I caught numerous 20 pound fish on the same clip at the ditch with heavy current I trust my plugs and fish on them.

fishnlaxli 12-22-2010 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by numbskull (Post 820147)
Doesn't the guy get most of his big fish on bait?

Pretty hard to design great plugs if you are not commited to fishing them and learning from it......although I suppose you can get lucky.

Not quite true. In fact, If I remember correctly of the 9 50's he has from the beach 5 of them where on plugs. His biggest and most recent did happen to be on bait, but that doesn't mean he does not fish plugs.

numbskull 12-22-2010 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishnlaxli (Post 820419)
Not quite true. In fact, If I remember correctly of the 9 50's he has from the beach 5 of them where on plugs. His biggest and most recent did happen to be on bait, but that doesn't mean he does not fish plugs.

Oh, I know he fishes plugs, yet the majority of the articles I have seen by him focus on bait. I seriously doubt Mr Knie, regardless of how many 50's he advertises, knows anything about designing and building plugs. Much, much more likely he is just lending his name to someone else's work (and quite likely someone from the orient who has never seen a striped bass). Money, not a love of plugs, is likely his motivation. Regardless, I have not seen or tried "his" stuff so I'm in no position to pass judgement.........and welcome to the site.

GattaFish 12-22-2010 08:42 AM

I have seen the plugs and personally would spend my money buying something else that is proven like some of the plugs that have been producing fish for years and that I already have confidence in.

I am sure they may have there place but for now I cant say it would be in my bag.

I still kinda think this is spamish.... why not just a one liner saying something about the plugs instead of the full add....JMHO

.... thanks for the edit....

JohnR 12-22-2010 11:34 PM

I really don't think it is spammish. Not this time.

It is hard, but I want honest discussion on stuff, sponsor or not. What I don't want is for someone self promoting. I did not see the very first post but I really don't think BT is shilling for Alberto (someone I happen to like). BT is a regular member here, not someone who signed up trolling for Boogers (hehehehe - the beer is helping :rotf2: ) so I don't think this is spamming or promotion.

GattaFish 12-22-2010 11:41 PM

When I saw the first post it was like a copy paste of the ad. BT edited it up quick like it was an honest mistake...

UserRemoved1 12-23-2010 04:34 AM

HEY I CAN HEAR THAT :wave:

luds 12-23-2010 09:12 AM

Like any new fishing products they need time to prove themselves and be properly reviewed. Alberto clearly has a nack for promotion and advertising and I think most of us see that. Too early to pass any judgement.

wrikerjr 12-24-2010 12:21 PM

Only Time will tell if the plugs are any good. Many people on Long Island with Big Names have come out with plugs but they didn't work so they went bye bye. Alberto's plugs are plastic so it will be relatively easy to tell since production is not an issue.

I wish him well, but darter wise in plastic its super strike and northbar bottle darter for me. Anything else is not being considered. wooden we have a different story.

everyone have a Merry Christmas

luds 12-24-2010 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrikerjr (Post 821116)
Only Time will tell if the plugs are any good. Many people on Long Island with Big Names have come out with plugs but they didn't work so they went bye bye. Alberto's plugs are plastic so it will be relatively easy to tell since production is not an issue.

I wish him well, but darter wise in plastic its super strike and northbar bottle darter for me. Anything else is not being considered. wooden we have a different story.

everyone have a Merry Christmas

I agree with the class of the ss and the northbat but it would be nice to have a deep running plastic darter too.

chefchris401 12-24-2010 08:18 PM

It does run deep it has it's place.

mfm22 12-24-2010 09:47 PM

Bait ..for sure
Rubber shads as well ...:uhuh:

Lotsa hype about lots of stuff everywhere ... Got to put 'em to the test yourself [or someone trusted to be objective ]

I 've stopped chasing the lastest /greatest ...give everything the test of time

mag minnow 12-25-2010 07:16 AM

Bought the Popper and Pencil when they came out...

I love the Clips....

numbskull 12-25-2010 07:50 AM

I've not seen the smallest size clips, but the medium and large strike me as being very bulky........something I try to avoid in front of swimming plugs. .