Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Machining Pikie curve-heads (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=68149)

blondterror 12-24-2010 01:37 PM

Machining Pikie curve-heads

2 Attachment(s)
I am curious what methods everyone uses to machine their curved slopeheads on their pikies.

I first cut a straight slopehead using a sled on my tablesaw and then take the plug with square ends still attached to my drill press with a rotary attachment from woodcraft that uses replaceable sanding sleeves. See pics

A trick for changing the sleeves is ... first remove old sleeve by tearing along seam ... then put the rubber faced rotary attchment in your freezer for 60 minutes ... it will shrink slightly and the tight fitting new sanding sleeve can now slide on

merry Xmas and happy New year to all...

Chris

Ryan560 12-24-2010 01:45 PM

Man thats a sweet shop you got there! I just eyeball the slope with a belt sander,sometimes I mess up and then I just make the lip slot below the centerline and try to save them:grins:

Slipknot 12-24-2010 01:52 PM

I just eyeball them on the edge sander
they seem to all come out near close enough

blondterror 12-24-2010 02:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is the picture that I forgot to include

Ed White 12-24-2010 03:18 PM

I leave the square ends on and rough out the cut on the bandsaw with the plug lying on it's side, then finish with a drum type sander.

Jigman 12-24-2010 04:53 PM

I do them on the edge of my bendsander. I have a piece of stainless that I bent like a z-lip that slides in the lip slot. This is inserted with the flat side up. Feed the plug into the beltsander and stop when the cut is even with the z-lip. I can take a photo if that would make it more clear for folks.

Jigman

ThrowingTimber 12-24-2010 06:27 PM

I built a box that holds a hand held belt sander sideways, with a port for dust collection etc. on the deck of the box I built a guide rail and a depth stop. Having the guide rail and depth stop allow each one to have the same "cut."

pbadad 12-25-2010 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigman (Post 821191)
I do them on the edge of my bendsander. I have a piece of stainless that I bent like a z-lip that slides in the lip slot. This is inserted with the flat side up. Feed the plug into the beltsander and stop when the cut is even with the z-lip. I can take a photo if that would make it more clear for folks.

Jigman

I too use the bottom wheel of the belt sander. Set up up the height and slide the plug into wheel against pre determind stop. both square ends are left on and I sand off the top of front end in the dish out process. This takes very little time to do. actual video would describe this process easier. Just need a video recorder!!