Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Winter building plans? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=83979)

Sgt Striper 10-23-2013 08:59 AM

Winter building plans?

Building season is on the way, anyone thinking of what to make this winter? I will probably look at some of the classic designs from years past and see what looks productive. Also make some jigs for cutting darters, etc. and some much needed maint. on the machinery.

Hookedagain 10-23-2013 03:33 PM

I was just in the shop this morning. I agree, my machinery need attention too. I plan on working on some metal lips and needles this winter. Pencils are always a fill in for me and I also plan on some jig making for table saw....if it all get done is a different story.

BigFish 10-23-2013 04:09 PM

Oh so much I want to do! Might do a run of Atom-40's for next season, working on a needlefish! Got a bunch of vintage knock-offs I want to do!!:uhuh:

johnny ducketts 10-23-2013 05:03 PM

I would like to try a nike
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

ProfessorM 10-23-2013 06:45 PM

Bluestreak A-40's fished good this year casting from a boat so I have to make some more. Not going crazy this year, didn't last year either. I like it better, find it more fun. What I like to fish and quality is my main goal.

Rockfish9 10-24-2013 06:13 AM

Liquidating my shop.. starting an eel farm so I can give numbskull eels so he can feel a tug on the line when striped bass become extinct.

numbskull 10-24-2013 03:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockfish9 (Post 1018856)
Liquidating my shop.. starting an eel farm so I can give numbskull eels so he can feel a tug on the line when striped bass become extinct.

Screw that. I just plan to fish for weeds. I'm good at that. Not as good as this guy but then again he uses live bait when fishing for big weeds.

ProfessorM 10-24-2013 04:37 PM

LOL. Oh yeah forgot about that beauty.

WoodyCT 10-24-2013 04:43 PM

Talk about a keepah

iamskippy 10-24-2013 04:48 PM

2 size Dannies, and i want to finish nailing down a darter. Came so close last year. Needles are on my scope for next year, to make and learn to fish.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

nightfighter 10-24-2013 05:09 PM

First up will be bottle opener bodies for holiday gifts.
Second is to get a nova chuck, or better yet, just get Blondterror to make me one of those pepper grinders
Plug runs will begin with my spooks, as I had given them all away by August. Mack patterns did better than others... At least I had others catching on them.
After that some darters. Want to get a single belly hook version this season.
Follow that up with pencils, needles and first try at the eelie. I really should explore the different squid plugs too, since they were so prevalent up this way.

Rockfish9 10-25-2013 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by numbskull (Post 1018927)
Screw that. I just plan to fish for weeds. I'm good at that. Not as good as this guy but then again he uses live bait when fishing for big weeds.

leave it to you to find the next sorce of entertainment... you're always ahead of the the thinking curve......Nice weed fish Paul!!!!

OK enough poking fun ... first i have to "un blow up" my shop.. I renovated the kitchen and Family room and the shop is now a storage area of all things unwanted and not put away...paths define the area..not the machinary..it's beyond disgusting.

I need to make some more of those chubby Mac pattern darters.. i did well with them late in the season... same with 6" needles and that slim metal lip swimmer i made a few years back...the only other need is bottles... I want to make a 6" one to go with the 8" one...the 6" is a good likeness to the squid that showed up last summer... I believe that also is what caused the success for the chubby darter out on the beach.. the color just happend to highlight the profile under the conditions I fished...although Mac patterns on anything seem to work better north of Boston anyway.

N.ShoreFisher 10-25-2013 09:43 AM

lots to learn. Stocking wood, learning how this stuff works, and attempting to make a duplicator. I'll probably turn out a few plugs like needles or spooks. Nothing crazy. Did a few bluefish bats already out of mahogany, and one in ash. Other than that, who the hell knows. Also doing the bottle opener thing.

Rockfish9 10-25-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N.ShoreFisher (Post 1019025)
lots to learn. Stocking wood, learning how this stuff works, and attempting to make a duplicator. I'll probably turn out a few plugs like needles or spooks. Nothing crazy. Did a few bluefish bats already out of mahogany, and one in ash. Other than that, who the hell knows. Also doing the bottle opener thing.

you don't live far from me... I'm in Reading.... once I clean up the Mess and "start" your welcome to come over any time I'm "working".. I can save you lots of trial and errors..

N.ShoreFisher 10-25-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockfish9 (Post 1019041)
you don't live far from me... I'm in Reading.... once I clean up the Mess and "start" your welcome to come over any time I'm "working".. I can save you lots of trial and errors..

Awesome! Would love it! Thank you.

Linesider82 10-25-2013 02:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
-Skin plugs in a variety of diameters to utilize the population of frozen eels in my freezer.
-A run of wadd needles
-Make a jig for darters (I made one darter last season free hand and it actually worked),
-Going to try a few metal lips this year but they really aren't a plug I throw often.
-Glide baits (maybe)

ProfessorM 10-25-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockfish9 (Post 1019041)

Take him up on it. It will be worth you time. I've been up to see Joe's pad. He's a great host. You will learn a lot.

Yeah Joe he likes to poke fun at people that catch stuff he can't. You know I did get a good fish the end of that day, one he told me I would loose on my tiny equipment and nasty area we were in. Ended up probably being my best fight I had all year considering the circumstances and what does he post a picture of ? me with a fish and 25 lbs of sea weed. :uhuh:

pbadad 10-30-2013 05:38 PM

Nice Darter Matt. Wadds?? I have specs if you want. I'll be toying with a small sealed swimmer, surface/sub surface combo.

Zeal 11-11-2013 05:54 PM

Now that striper took "ambush predator" to the next level!

Trying to fix my lathe and if it works again, Floating Needle, and hopefully a heavy needle to deal with storm waters (not Wadd size) that only my A27 jig and a heavy bucktail can deal with.