Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Best Air brush (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=55212)

moosh 02-16-2009 01:06 AM

Best Air brush

I want to start to air brush my lures I have a compresser but I need an Air brush .I want to get a good one but I dont want to break the Bank on one .anyone have any suggestion? Please I need a litlle help ? also how about paint I dont know were to go or what to buy I live on the Cape if you any place I could go to get these things I would appreciet it ..Thanks in Avance Moosh ..

Slipknot 02-16-2009 08:05 AM

Peak airbrushes at Bearair, www.bearair.com I think and they are in Easton so it may be possible to go right to them. They are a real good value for the money

JFigliuolo 02-16-2009 10:43 AM

I've got the peak x-3... nice little brush... Do yourself a favor and get the Pasche cup that fits it.

Swimmer 02-16-2009 12:00 PM

Does anyone find just having the suction feed and not the dual action hinders thier work at all? Anyone have an opinon on which is best gravity or suction, or both?

EricW 02-16-2009 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swimmer (Post 665038)
Does anyone find just having the suction feed and not the dual action hinders thier work at all? Anyone have an opinon on which is best gravity or suction, or both?

It depends on what you want as an end result. For single action, do you mean like a badger 250 where the bottle is attached and screwed on, or like a badger 350 that is a single action and has a color cup or bottle and looks like the "pen" style of airbrush?

I am no artist by any means, but I would say that the single actions do hinder what you can produce. I have actually had really good experience with cal hawk el cheapo single action bottle feed brushes. They are a pain to get the pattern adjusted on, but they will spray thick paint really nice. I find if you use thin paint, it will splatter The thing about those is that you don't have any type of needle in the tip and fine lines are non existent. But they will do your basic 2 or 3 color plug ok The 350 type of single actions are slightly adjustable and have a sort of needle type tip, but still won't produce (for me anyway) anything like a dual action.

I would say start with a dual action and get a relatively good one. I now have an iwata bcs and I love it. Took a while to get used to and still is always and adventure, but you can spray anything with it and make it look nice.

I recently came across another series of airbrushes on another tackle making site named air pro tools. They got really good reviews there and and some others. They seem to stand up and seem to be made well. I may try one of those. They have one that uses .2 and .3 needles that I am interested in for finer details.

Good luck. It is a lot of fun and also very rewarding.

ProfessorM 02-16-2009 08:22 PM

no store got to order by phone or computer for Bear I am pretty sure.

Dual action is the way to go. Iwata is a great brush I have the BCS and luv it. I have the bottom feed but use the small cups a lot too. I have a Peak too. It is good but not as nice as an Iwata IMO. I am a sprayer of paint , no artist here, and no time to be one either.