Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Kayaking (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Don't You Guys Like Freshwater Fishing?? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=71042)

BigFish 05-14-2011 04:07 PM

Don't You Guys Like Freshwater Fishing??

Seems nobody ever wants to hit the freshwater in the yak??? I actually find it more relaxing than yak fishing the salt? I like to mix it up.....early season mostly stripers from the yak as they arrive.....heat of the summer I like early morning fishing for "Mouths" on a favorite pond before the high heat of the day arrives! Fall mostly striper fishing again! I can never get any of you guys to hit the sweetwater??? What gives??:confused:

striperman36 05-14-2011 04:09 PM

It's a good distraction for August.

BigBo 05-14-2011 04:41 PM

:blush: :hidin: Guilty. I can't seem to break away from obligations at home lately. Soon I hope.

sburnsey931 05-14-2011 05:39 PM

A fish that big is only bait.

Raven 05-14-2011 07:24 PM

Putting electric winch inside my van

to pull the Jon boat back in....
after i'm done for the day

goes in the water (launched)
in less than a minute

gettin her back in was a bit more challenging
now i'm gonna do it the Smart way

JohnnyD 05-15-2011 10:37 AM

In past Springs, I'd fish 2-3 times a week from the yak harassing largemouth bass. The last few months have been a bit crazy, but I'm still out at least once/week.

frogman_ch 05-15-2011 01:12 PM

Hey BigFish,
I just finished at the nuke plant. I will be fishing 3-4 times a week, mostly fresh. Let's do it young man.

Will be doing some flounder fishing too.

The Dad Fisherman 05-16-2011 04:59 AM

I do the fresh water gig a lot.....can't wait til the dog days are here....do some night time bassin'

gregory2327 05-16-2011 09:00 AM

Agreed, night fishing for largies or smallies is amazing; my absolute favorite way to fish. Black jitter bug on top will get you some heart attack inducing hits. If top water isn't working try a dark colored chatter bait with a big trailer on the back - deadly.

Rockport24 05-17-2011 12:59 PM

I'm down for a nightime freshwater trip!
I like to hit the freshwater occasionally but only after I had got myself "stripered out".

fishbones 05-17-2011 01:20 PM

Larry, you might be able to get me out on the fresh water at some point during the summer. I just have too much on my plate right now with work, house renovations, family commitments and striper fishing. Things will ease up for me in the next month or so, though. There are a couple of good ponds near my house, but I haven't fished any of them in the yak yet.

FishermanTim 05-17-2011 02:10 PM

With all the "doom and gloom" talk about the striper stock decline, freshwater may be the only game in town (if you fully believe the chatter).
Frankly, I like to mix it up during the year.
Spring is a mixed bag of fish opportunities, both fresh and salt.
Summer days maybe yakking but nights it's ALL good. I don't have one preference. fresh or salt! Like I said "It's all GOOD!"
Fall is a mixed bag as well, with days in fresh and nights mostly salt.

I love yakking at night because you can pretty much have a pond to yourself (except for the local wildlife)!

Raven 05-18-2011 08:18 AM

just ordered some nice cushy seats.... going scouting later for
some launch spots....

gonna do some trolling/wading 4trout once i get all caught up