Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Rod Building (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Collector (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=97251)

Guppy 02-10-2021 11:24 AM

Collector

Help! Starting to build GSB 120 1 L ( purchased from Billy (PBADad) thanks again, I think! :-)

I have questions ...
I’d like to use one of my 6K Saragossa’s,,, is this reel considered too small for that rod ?

Also the reel has little to no axis angle to it and leaves me stumped about the choke point ( KR build)

The 27 times approach puts the collector over 30” from the spool.... !

I see in the tackle shops the off the shelf same rod the collector is 36” from the spool.... what’s with that.... :spin:

Any help would be appreciated.... :rolleyes:

pbadad 02-10-2021 06:48 PM

30 " is in the right area. My vs150 I use on the 1201L is set up on KR layout @ 24". Choke is set 45%of distance to tip then add to choke distance. I use single foot KL-H 25, KL-H12 & KLH8M. KT 8 RUNNERS. 9guides in all. Setting ur rod w/KW guides NGC set up , 30 25 20 12 10 runners to #12 tip.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Guppy 02-11-2021 04:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Billy
Definitely gets confusing...

I started out thinking KR with KL guides... I’m tough on rods and figured I’d wreck a rod with KL-H guides...

I may start with a KW with similar height as a KL-30..

I’m thinking if it’s a decent COF from the collector to choke the rod will work good enough for a duffer like me

Back when I built the M I drew a CAD plan of the rod and just updated it for this build...

Basically too cold outside to do anything else.... LOL

Attachment 67715

pbadad 02-12-2021 07:21 AM

Ray the transition guide set up to choke is basically a COF like u mentioned. The runners just fit the void to tip. You can equally space them preferably no longer than 6" spacing or do progressive lengths which I do mostly for the first few runners then even for the last couple or so. However the layout works when I static load . Thats my final step to adjust the runners for an good line flow. One other step I started was prior to laying out the blank I would temporary install a tip , no guides then put blank in a 45 degree angle rod mount and bend the blank 90 degrees. Find the apex of blank and mark. When you layout the runners I will try to get a runner to that mark. Usually with some moving if needed. This is where the progressive distancing helps. BTW this is done after I find the spine. Yes layouts are confusing and i have spent hours fussing with them only to find even if its not "perfectly by the book", it fish fine. Always glad to help.

Guppy 02-15-2021 10:33 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I may be coming around to a true out of the book KR KL-H set up, I like the way it looks on paper, any way..... I changed that last cad to reflect that....
Attachment 67718

Attachment 67719

This setup has a better COF from the reel to the collector (less angle)
I’ll look at that progressive arrangement for the runners when I get it in my jig.... the existing setup revealed an identical space from line to blank between each runner ( a good thing I think ;-) )
I also think the majority of the load is applied to the 2nd & 3rd guides with the other KW guides ( same as planned )

Attachment 67720

Thanks again Billy....

pbadad 02-15-2021 05:45 PM

Ray i looked the diagram. A 20 collector may be a bit small for braid 30lb and up. Plus you're close in distance 21.5". Not saying it doesnt works but I would test cast this set up before wrapping.

Guppy 02-16-2021 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbadad (Post 1209254)
Ray i looked the diagram. A 20 collector may be a bit small for braid 30lb and up. Plus you're close in distance 21.5". Not saying it doesnt works but I would test cast this set up before wrapping.

thank again..
i was following the GPS...... :huh:
I'll definitely do a test run.... it'll be a while, waiting on guides

schoolies there yet? ;-)

Guppy 02-16-2021 11:10 AM

this is a test
http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...pictureid=1497

pbadad 02-18-2021 11:15 AM

Ray I just got a carbon surf 10' blank. I took my set up from.the 1201L. I static tested the 10 guide layout. Tweaked the runners a bit but the transitions were left as is. Its a little faster action than the L. With 38" to tip end with tip bmgat10 installed my spacing is 6 6 5.5 5.5 5 5 5 . The flow is following the curve fine. Runners are KT8. Transitions KL-H 25 .12M 8M.

Guppy 02-18-2021 05:27 PM

Nice rig!
Now we need some fish... :-)
Thanks