Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Kayaking (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Kayak Report! (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=83156)

Rockport24 08-01-2013 11:02 AM

Kayak Report!

Been getting out before work for the last couple of weeks..like Rockfish (Joe) has been saying, steady pick of 30-33 inch fish, occasionally getting bigger, but I'll tell ya what, I don't really care, some of these fish fight hard for their size! I had one slam the tube and run like a much larger fish today.

I guess you would get bored from the surf or a boat, but these fish are just a blast to catch from the yak! Nantucket sleigh ride baby!

The Dad Fisherman 08-01-2013 11:28 AM

You going out tomorrow before work?

Rockport24 08-01-2013 11:32 AM

Unfortunately I can't, but you should!

Rappin Mikey 08-01-2013 04:46 PM

Anybody that disses kayak fish either have too much money or not enough balls! The most fun by far I have had catching stripers has been being pulled around at their mercy from a yak.

jonserfish 08-01-2013 08:25 PM

Definitely my favorite form of fishing. Got hooked in a washed ashore heritage light 9' sis. Snagged a pogie.....it spun me around...it got swallowed..... Went for a ride. Two weeks later I owned an ocean torque with sonar/gps
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

The Dad Fisherman 08-02-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rappin Mikey (Post 1008502)
The most fun by far I have had catching stripers has been being pulled around at their mercy from a yak.

Absolutely...
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Rockport24 08-02-2013 09:02 AM

It's so true! You don't need a huge fish to make things exciting on the yak, especially if it's pulling you into the rocks! These smaller fish are not smart enough to take you into the rocks to rub the hook off, they usually head for deeper water. When you get a good one on though, you better be ready to get out of harm's way, cause that's where you're going!

I once had one take me into the rocks when there was a decent swell, so I had to put the rod in the holder and paddle out, thing ripped the rod right out of the holder (drag too tight probably) good thing it was leashed! It's awesome because in a second things can get really interesting on a yak.

hq2 08-02-2013 10:03 AM

To me, the best thing about 'yak fishing is the fact that when you get into a school, you can work 'em over as long as you want without
worrying about your engine putting them down. (That is as long as
you keep your rod down so some Googan with binoculars and twin 225s doesn't see you with a fish on!)

And, to me the second best is that since I have a two man 'yak with
lots of leg room, I can relax in the sun and kick my feet up and enjoy
my day OTW. Great for drift/anchor fishing!:uhuh: