Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Muzik (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Bluegrass Performances (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=68361)

Canalman 01-05-2011 05:56 PM

Bluegrass Performances

I have been on a bluegrass kick lately... even been trying to learn how to flatpick on the guitar. Looking for some more inspiration, show me something! Here's Phish doing Uncle Pen from 1990, solid guitar work here...

YouTube - Phish - Uncle Pen 1990

Backbeach Jake 01-05-2011 06:22 PM

I grew up with that music. Hated it. Then one day I tried flatpicking. The next day I gave my guitar away. My brother in law is a self taught flat picker extrordinaire. He teaches as well. Banjo , too. If you'd like lessons PM me.

PS. as an aside I grew up on the Country Music HighWay (Rt.23, Lawrence Co. KY) and Ricky Skaggs went to my High School, albeit a coupla years behind me.

Canalman 01-05-2011 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backbeach Jake (Post 824514)
I grew up with that music. Hated it. Then one day I tried flatpicking. The next day I gave my guitar away. My brother in law is a self taught flat picker extrordinaire. He teaches as well. Banjo , too. If you'd like lessons PM me.

PS. as an aside I grew up on the Country Music HighWay (Rt.23, Lawrence Co. KY) and Ricky Skaggs went to my High School, albeit a coupla years behind me.

I am way past my taking lessons days. I've been playing for 16 years at this point I'm not going to get any better than what I can learn myself :biglaugh:, I'm too set in my ways! It used to be something I strived to be great at, now it's just something I enjoy doing to pass a winter night. Kind of keeps the mind sharp.

Incidentally I was just watching videos of Skaggs yesterday.

-Dave

ProfessorM 01-06-2011 06:32 PM

got lots of inspiration here.

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...bluegrass.html

ProfessorM 01-06-2011 06:35 PM

for my money you can't beat the New Grass Revival band of years ago. Progressive and multi talented players.

Stellar performances here but may make you want to smash your guitar as they are so good.

YouTube - Bela Fleck with New Grass Revival - Deviation

YouTube - The New Grass Revival (Live) - Metric Lips

Backbeach Jake 01-06-2011 06:37 PM

Flatpicking done well is a thing of beauty.
I understand the set in your ways. It was the repetition that killed it for me. I'm the short attention span theater marque idol...

ProfessorM 01-06-2011 06:40 PM

really digging this band the last few years. Like Dels voice and his players are fantastic.

YouTube - My Love Will Not Change

ProfessorM 01-06-2011 06:44 PM

as you already know how I feel about Tony Rice. He is the best bluegrass guitar player there is IMO. I just luv his sound and style. It really sucked we missed him at the show we attended a few years ago.

YouTube - Tony Rice - Church Street Blues

ProfessorM 01-06-2011 06:49 PM

BTW Skaggs and Bruce Hornsby came out with an album last year, I think it was, and it is awesome bluegrass music. I got it if you want a copy .

This is a view but not good recording . album is much better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJZX-4Qwhyk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiSqQ...eature=related

ProfessorM 01-06-2011 06:53 PM

one more I can't leave out if you want guitar . Doc Watson is so sweet to the ear. A real icon.

YouTube - Doc Watson - 1991 - Deep River Blues (Solo)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5c1k...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzRCd...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0pQN...eature=related

JackK 01-06-2011 07:01 PM

Recent kick has been Nickel Creek... Absolutely a shame they're not together right now. I need to find tickets to Punch Brothers in Somerville next week...

ProfessorM 01-06-2011 07:15 PM

Nickle Creek are awesome too. The mandolin player is a force

Crafty Angler 01-06-2011 09:58 PM

I discovered Rhonda Vincent recently - bluegrass/country folk, great voice

She was a prodigy, playing drums in her family band at 5, playing mandolin at 8 and proficient on the fiddle at 10

YouTube - Rhonda Vincent & The Rage - Kentucky Borderline

YouTube - Rhonda Vincent - I've Forgotten You

YouTube - Rhonda Vincent and the Rage - "Heartbreakers Alibi"

Her album Ragin' Live with her band The Rage is great and has a killer bluegrass version of the old Dolly Parton song Jolene - but I could only find one sort of reasonable homegrown clip of Youtube of her rendition of it

YouTube - Rhonda Vincent sings "Jolene" "LIVE" at Darrington festival 2010

ProfessorM 01-07-2011 01:06 PM

hey crafty welcome back:wave:. we missed you here.

thanks for Rhonda , good stuff.

Slingah 01-07-2011 01:46 PM

I like that Rhonda too....:uhuh:

Canalman 01-07-2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backbeach Jake (Post 824843)
Flatpicking done well is a thing of beauty.
I understand the set in your ways. It was the repetition that killed it for me. I'm the short attention span theater marque idol...

I just can't set aside time and money for lessons anymore :) so I have to figure it out myself or move on! :rotf2:

Canalman 01-07-2011 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProfessorM (Post 824847)
as you already know how I feel about Tony Rice. He is the best bluegrass guitar player there is IMO. I just luv his sound and style. It really sucked we missed him at the show we attended a few years ago.

YouTube - Tony Rice - Church Street Blues

Yes that was a shame, but I love the discs you've burned for me. And I did learn about Seldom Scene at that show and now I have seen them a few times since and bought a bunch of their albums.

Canalman 01-07-2011 05:32 PM

Greta and I heard Del Mccoury on the radio back in August and loved it! I just ordered 2 new grass Cds and a Del Mccoury on Amazon. Thanks Paul!

Canalman 01-07-2011 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafty Angler (Post 824938)
I discovered Rhonda Vincent recently - bluegrass/country folk, great voice

She was a prodigy, playing drums in her family band at 5, playing mandolin at 8 and proficient on the fiddle at 10

YouTube - Rhonda Vincent & The Rage - Kentucky Borderline

YouTube - Rhonda Vincent - I've Forgotten You

YouTube - Rhonda Vincent and the Rage - "Heartbreakers Alibi"

Her album Ragin' Live with her band The Rage is great and has a killer bluegrass version of the old Dolly Parton song Jolene - but I could only find one sort of reasonable homegrown clip of Youtube of her rendition of it

YouTube - Rhonda Vincent sings "Jolene" "LIVE" at Darrington festival 2010

Damn! Love that too, goodbye credit card!

ProfessorM 01-07-2011 05:42 PM

new grass was a band my uncle took me to many years ago and tony rice too. . He has been a fan for a long time and got me hooked even though I was into rockish music then I knew those guys were real musicians and had real talent. The new grass is kind of how I like my bluegrass played. Bela looks so young there. The tales from the Acoustic planet Bela did a few years ago is another great album with many greats on it. He did 2 of them. I got both of those if I have not given them to you yet. Maybe we can do a swap if you go to too cold nite, or thru mail if not. I would like copies of what you just ordered today if possible :) when you get some time.

Canalman 01-07-2011 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProfessorM (Post 825262)
new grass was a band my uncle took me to many years ago and tony rice too. . He has been a fan for a long time and got me hooked even though I was into rockish music then I knew those guys were real musicians and had real talent. The new grass is kind of how I like my bluegrass played. Bela looks so young there. The tales from the Acoustic planet Bela did a few years ago is another great album with many greats on it. He did 2 of them. I got both of those if I have not given them to you yet. Maybe we can do a swap if you go to too cold nite, or thru mail if not. I would like copies of what you just ordered today if possible :) when you get some time.

I will be glad to make you copies. Working on the paint task for you too, I just have to get back in touch with my uncle.

-Dave

chrisjoe13 01-08-2011 09:38 AM

Here's some more Doc from the 1963 folk fest in Newport. He's out of control, sounds like at least two guys.

YouTube - Doc's Guitar and Black Mountain Rag by Doc Watson 1963 Newport

ProfessorM 01-08-2011 10:23 AM

Doc is so easy to listen to. Not the most technical guy there ever was but just so smooth and perfect.

Tagger 01-08-2011 11:29 AM

Thanks for the Doc Watson Paul .. not familar with alot of this stuff ,, but can appreciate the pickin .. Love it .. a song about a horse .(Tennesee Stud). wonder how old that song is ? ,, kind of but not really like the Beach Boys singing about cars .. Love the Rhonda Vincent and Tony Rice ,, wicked talents ..

ProfessorM 01-08-2011 11:33 AM

Live beauty

YouTube - Tony Rice plays Shenandoah in BLUEGRASS JOURNEY

ProfessorM 01-08-2011 11:35 AM

this one too. Norman Blake is someone to check out too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnbOV...eature=related

ProfessorM 01-08-2011 11:38 AM

don't sleep on this guy

YouTube - Norman Blake, Flatpicker

basswipe 01-08-2011 05:17 PM

If you're on a bluegrass kick I recommend ANYTHING Alison Krauss and Union Station.You'll never be the same hearing her voice,Jerry Douglas and the rest of the band.

Canalman 01-08-2011 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basswipe (Post 825562)
If you're on a bluegrass kick I recommend ANYTHING Alison Krauss and Union Station.You'll never be the same hearing her voice,Jerry Douglas and the rest of the band.

Actually, I was first introduced to Allison Krauss when I was 16, she sang a song with Phish on their 1994 album "Hoist" she does have a beautiful voice.

Here's the song, (kind of a lame video montage and not bluegrass, but worth a listen!)

YouTube - Phish ft. Alison Krauss - If I Could