Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   StriperTalk! (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Rivers End Striper Surf Day 2018 - 3/24 (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=93482)

tlapinski 03-13-2018 07:02 AM

Rivers End Striper Surf Day 2018 - 3/24

John OK'ed this post, so here goes.

This year’s Striper Surf Day is scheduled for Saturday, March 24, from 10 AM to 4 PM at Rivers End Tackle (440 Boston Post Road, Old Saybrook, CT.) There will be some great speakers, factory reps, sales, raffle prizes, great food and good friends. As always the food, parking and entry is FREE!

FEATURED SEMINAR SPEAKERS
Spot Science: Dave Anderson and John Lee
Dave Anderson and John Lee will pool their knowledge from years of surfcasting and diving experience to give you the tools to recognize key focus areas for striped bass from the rocks. In recent years finding these tiny productive spots has become more and more necessary as overfishing has whittled away at a once robust striper stock. John and Dave will provide an all angles approach to finding these spots in your home waters. For more information visit OutflowFishing.com.

Targeting Striped Bass with Artificials in the Surf: Toby Lapinski
There are many ways to catch a striped bass in the surf, but few are as rewarding as throwing artificial lures when hunting the biggest fish in the school. Toby Lapinski will tap into his many years of working the surf for striped bass and reveal a few of the secrets that he has uncovered. He will primarily focus on fishing at night with large lures like needlefish, metal-lip swimmers and darters.

SCHEDULED VENDORS AND DEMONSTRATIONS
There will be an extensive line-up of factory reps on hand, and the crew from the Connecticut Surfcasters Association will be in the house to talk about the club and sign up new members.

Tsunami will be on hand with a selection of their surf gear.

Guy Cotton will be in the shop to demonstrate the new Surf Top they have developed.

Mike Mullen of High Hook Lures will have a table to discuss how he uses his giant needlefish to target over-sized striped bass.

One of the owners of Drifter Tackle will be here to show the new colors of Doc spooks they have developed and to show people how to fish their Hellhound Glidebaits.

Lamiglas will be on hand to show off the new GSB series of surf rods. And also, weather permitting, we will be able to demo cast the rods at the Baldwin Bridge state pier which is right down the road from the shop.

Professional fly tier Steve Cook will be on hand demoing how to tie a variety of saltwater flies.

One of the highlights of the day is always the awesome raffle prizes. There will be some great rods, reels and lures from a variety of manufacturers given away for free, so be sure to stick around until the end of the day to claim your prizes!

As always this event is free and open to the public, so don't miss it!

** Check back for an updated list of vendors as we get closer to the event.

Hardcore 03-13-2018 12:31 PM

Looking forward to it
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

JLH 03-13-2018 03:00 PM

Always a great time!

bobber 03-17-2018 01:01 PM

I'd like to think that RiversEnd was the 1st place to sell those Doc lures as just blanks- with no paint- and people have been catching BIGG fish on them for years now....

I've seen them used for topwater tuna recently as well

shadow 03-18-2018 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobber (Post 1139584)
I'd like to think that RiversEnd was the 1st place to sell those Doc lures as just blanks- with no paint- and people have been catching BIGG fish on them for years now....

I've seen them used for topwater tuna recently as well

A small group of mostly Newport guys have been ordering them from musky mania for a long time. Pete G from the edge first showed me one back when the shop was on Thames st.I’d guess that was 15 years ago. At that time I wasn’t comfortable asking someone I didn’t fish with where I could get one of their “secret weapons.” A little more then a year later I found one on cutty and the owner wanted it back and I wanted ordering info lol

DZ 03-18-2018 06:13 PM

Was definitely the crew of guys at SWE that uncovered the Doc... that said it took the shop itself years before it offered them to their customers. It was more like the SWE crew would get together and order their own stash. But there were strict rules for the shop not to let the cat out of the bag ;) It wasn't until Rivers End and another shop in Warren/Bristol started to offer them did the SWE finally start selling them to the GP.

Sea Dangles 03-18-2018 06:44 PM

Muskymania.com is where we got them. Just ordered the blanks back then, slayers!

wdmso 03-19-2018 10:45 AM

bought my 1st one at the Providence show this year..which seems to produce better the 7in or the 9 in models

DZ 03-19-2018 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1139721)
bought my 1st one at the Providence show this year..which seems to produce better the 7in or the 9 in models

Most prefer the 9 inch model.

Rob Rockcrawler 03-19-2018 05:30 PM

I saw them about 8 years ago from a guy who got one from a guy at the SWE. He told me how great they were but I never fished them. I look at them like a jumping minnow on steroids. The little ones kill smaller fish I can imagine the big ones would rock.