Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Political Threads (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Who said this about the government (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=94705)

Pete F. 01-23-2019 02:54 PM

Who said this about the government

“What we did learn is this — it’s a hostage that’s worth ransoming,”
Hint he’s a politician

spence 01-23-2019 03:53 PM

He's probably done more damage to our democracy than most others in my lifetime, aside from maybe Newt.

Nebe 01-23-2019 03:55 PM

Mitch?

Got Stripers 01-23-2019 04:10 PM

Yes and Mitch should go out and talk to the pour government workers about to loose their homes, the credit ratings, forced into other jobs and the extended family and friends suffering. The sad irony is that this is all about security, yet our ports of entries can’t possibly be safer. So impactful for so many in a negative way, all over a campaign buzz word Trump was given to insure he would remember to talk about illegal immigration and now it’s about ego and winning the boastful campaign promise to build a wall.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Nebe 01-23-2019 04:34 PM

What a chit stain.

Jim in CT 01-23-2019 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1160422)
He's probably done more damage to our democracy than most others in my lifetime, aside from maybe Newt.

In what way, exactly? We had free elections recently where the opposition party made big gains in the house, and huge gains in state governorships. Would a dictator let that happen?

Newt? Yes, my God he and Bill Clinton teamed up to achieve the last budget surplus, oh my God the horror.

If you listed the politicians in order of who did the most damage, at what rank would you get to the first democrat? 10,000?

liberal=good, conservative=bad, no exceptions, not ever.

Jim in CT 01-23-2019 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Stripers (Post 1160425)
all over a campaign buzz word

Tell that to the widow and 5-month old child that officer Singh left behind for Christs sake. His death means nothing more than a campaign buzz word, there simply can't be any benefit to responding to the events that led to his death.

NO BANK is going to foreclose on the home of a federal worker who isn't getting paid. That will happen zero times, because that bank would lose all its customers the next day, and they would deserve to do so.

These people will be suffering, no doubt - bills piling up, credit card debt increasing, etc. In fact, when they get back pay, they should be compensated for credit card interest accrued from the shutdown, I'd be happy to pay for that.

The state of CT is offering taxpayer-guaranteed, interest-free loans to federal workers. The taxpayers will pay for whoever defaults. All states should do this.

Got Stripers 01-23-2019 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1160429)
Tell that to the widow and 5-month old child that officer Singh left behind for Christs sake. His death means nothing more than a campaign buzz word, there simply can't be any benefit to responding to the events that led to his death.

NO BANK is going to foreclose on the home of a federal worker who isn't getting paid. That will happen zero times, because that bank would lose all its customers the next day, and they would deserve to do so.

These people will be suffering, no doubt - bills piling up, credit card debt increasing, etc. In fact, when they get back pay, they should be compensated for credit card interest accrued from the shutdown, I'd be happy to pay for that.

The state of CT is offering taxpayer-guaranteed, interest-free loans to federal workers. The taxpayers will pay for whoever defaults. All states should do this.

Quoting tragedies which represent a very small fraction of similar offenses by us born citizens regardless of color, doesn’t change my level of disgust over a campaign buzz word.

Jim in CT 01-23-2019 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Stripers (Post 1160430)
Quoting tragedies which represent a very small fraction of similar offenses by us born citizens regardless of color, doesn’t change my level of disgust over a campaign buzz word.

most people don’t commit murder, we still pass laws against it.

Jim in CT 01-23-2019 05:09 PM

Quote:

how about the violence against people trying to cross? that’s not rare, and a wall would help

Jim in CT 01-23-2019 05:14 PM

Quote:

more will get killed by illegals, than will lose homes because of the shutdown. so when it suits you, you’re in favor of basing policy decisions on rare extremes.

spence 01-23-2019 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1160432)
most people don’t commit murder, we still pass laws against it.

Well, those murder laws apply to people here illegally as well.

spence 01-23-2019 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1160433)
how about the violence against people trying to cross? that’s not rare, and a wall would help

Likely would just make crossers more dependent on organized crime to get through.

spence 01-23-2019 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1160434)
more will get killed by illegals, than will lose homes because of the shutdown. so when it suits you, you’re in favor of basing policy decisions on rare extremes.

You totally just made this up. Earlier today Trump said his wall would cut crime in the US in half. Beyond being a rediculous thing to said he clearly likes to just make things up also.

Jim in CT 01-23-2019 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1160436)
Likely would just make crossers more dependent on organized crime to get through.

it will
also create choke points, which can be staffed with law enforcement, reducing crime. and again, where there are barriers, there is reduced illegal crossing, and less resultant crime.

Jim in CT 01-23-2019 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1160437)
You totally just made this up. Earlier today Trump said his wall would cut crime in the US in half. Beyond being a rediculous thing to said he clearly likes to just make things up also.

yes it was speculation, like when you said trump damaged the democracy.

i can defend my speculation. you can’t. our democracy will get past him just fine.

of
course it won’t cut us crime in half, that’s absurd.

scottw 01-23-2019 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1160437)

you just made up a word :confused:

spence 01-23-2019 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 1160442)
you just made up a word :confused:

No, I spelled a word wrong. Big whoop.

The Dad Fisherman 01-23-2019 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1160434)

They’ve missed one paycheck

One. Paycheck

Sea Dangles 01-23-2019 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 1160455)

One. Paycheck

Big whoop

wdmso 01-23-2019 08:03 PM

McConnell blocks bill to reopen most of government For the 4th time

Pete F. 01-23-2019 08:07 PM

People are losing businesses, homes and more
Just like when you add one job in industry, more jobs are created in support, food, clothing, day care, all the things we need and want everyday.
When people don’t have money or think they might not they change their spending and that is a significant hit to the economy.
This also doesn’t take into account the contract workers, low grade workers that are employed by government contractors.
The list goes far beyond just Federal employees
This is only happening because Trump will not accept less than a total win and the anti immigrant factions in his White House won’t give up anything.
He has no idea how to negotiate

Sea Dangles 01-23-2019 08:48 PM

Thanks for exposing that information PeteF.

The Dad Fisherman 01-23-2019 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Dangles (Post 1160457)
Big whoop

That’s my point

Jim in CT 01-23-2019 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 1160455)

One. Paycheck

Correct, we aren't back in the 1930s. But many people live paycheck to paycheck. At the same time, there will be all kinds of forgiveness of loans, no one is going to have their home foreclosed because they missed a couple of paychecks. I mean they might miss payments, but banks will grant extensions, they have to, to avoid brutal public backlash.

The Dad Fisherman 01-23-2019 09:21 PM

The media had them at Soup kitchens and selling off there appliances to make ends meet.....before they even missed that first check. It was rediculous

Pete F. 01-23-2019 09:41 PM

Keep believing
This won’t be forgotten
Trump will kill the Republican Party

Sea Dangles 01-24-2019 12:33 AM

Then there will be two dead parties and we can start over.

The Dad Fisherman 01-24-2019 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Dangles (Post 1160475)
Then there will be two dead parties and we can start over.

A "Do Over" would be outstanding

Jim in CT 01-24-2019 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 1160472)
The media had them at Soup kitchens and selling off there appliances to make ends meet.....before they even missed that first check. It was rediculous

yes the media is exaggerating what’s going to happen to them, as they exaggerated the role of the students at the lincoln memorial. Anything to make the party sympathetic to liberalism, appear to be brutally victimized by the conservatives. Every story is presented through that lens.

Spence still thinks that this Samdman kid was some kind of aggressor. He stood there and didn’t move a muscle, despite having a weirdo come up
to him ( sandman did not approach phillips, as phillips originally said), chanting three inches from his face.

there’s no talking to these people. their fictitious narrative trumps video evidence.