Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Kayaking (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Paddled (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=33191)

spinncognito 07-21-2006 03:52 PM

Paddled

OK, I have been reading about and researching kayak fishing for a long time with the hopes of eventually buying a fishing yak. Finally got into kayak for the first time this past week and now my interest has some substance. Went on the Gilligan Tour outta ERBA in Essex and although my arms are a bit sore, it was a great experience. To be sliding quietly over a sand bar in just a few inches of water was incredible! Even though it was a sit-in yak, I finally got the "feel" for being "ON" the water and now I cannot wait to get into a fishing SOT. It will likely be next season after I save up the $$$ to do it right.

Spin

Sweetwater 07-22-2006 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spinncognito
OK, I have been reading about and researching kayak fishing for a long time with the hopes of eventually buying a fishing yak. Finally got into kayak for the first time this past week and now my interest has some substance. Went on the Gilligan Tour outta ERBA in Essex and although my arms are a bit sore, it was a great experience. To be sliding quietly over a sand bar in just a few inches of water was incredible! Even though it was a sit-in yak, I finally got the "feel" for being "ON" the water and now I cannot wait to get into a fishing SOT. It will likely be next season after I save up the $$$ to do it right.

Spin

Spin, I just purchased an Ocean Kayak Prowler 15 Angler. I've only fished it a couple of times but it has been a great way to fish. I strongly recommend this yak if you want a SOT. The Wilderness Systems Tarpon 14 was also highly considered. Now I just have to get my GPS/Sonar rigged up. :)

The OK tracks very straight and takes the chop nicely and seems to be pretty dry for a SOT. At 55 lbs its a bit heavy to get on my truck which is fairly high on the cap. But otherwise a great boat.

spinncognito 07-22-2006 01:14 PM

thanks for the advice. I will certainly be looking into one designed for fishing but will likely "try B4 I buy" next spring.

reelecstasy 07-24-2006 08:37 AM

No doubt it is addicting, I just about rolled my yak the other night, sliding quietly along and startled a big ole bass sitting at the top of the water late night. He let me know he was pissed when he splashed me... :hihi: too funny

Megabyte 08-01-2006 08:08 PM

Paddled

Sweetwater,

What kind of rack do you have?

I've got a chevy suburban and want to get a OK 15 and am looking for advice on rack type. It's a loooong way up on the Surburan.

Where did you get your OK 15 ?

Megabyte

nightfighter 08-01-2006 10:58 PM

I have a Tahoe and mounted the Thule Slide and Go right on the factory rack for my Tarpon 140. Use a bathroom rug with rubber on the bottom to protect the paint when loading and unloading.

Tokk my second paddle this morning and landed first couple of fish in the yak!! So it's christened!

Megabyte 08-02-2006 07:27 PM

Paddled

Congrats !

Now that's she's christened, what's next ?

The carpet with the rubber backing sounds like a great idea.
What's the advertised weight of the T14 ?

Megabyte

nightfighter 08-06-2006 03:24 PM

got the first "tow" this morning, definitely a rush! Can't wait to see what a big girl would do...:soon:
T140 is around 62 lbs.

steelhead 08-08-2006 09:53 PM

Way to go Nightfighter! Feels pretty good doesn't it!

HighTide 08-09-2006 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightfighter
I have a Tahoe and mounted the Thule Slide and Go right on the factory rack for my Tarpon 140. Use a bathroom rug with rubber on the bottom to protect the paint when loading and unloading.

Tokk my second paddle this morning and landed first couple of fish in the yak!! So it's christened!

The rug is a good idea, I use a wet heavy beach towel over the back of the minivan when I have to load it by myself.

Megabyte 08-09-2006 08:26 PM

Racks

What kind of racks are you guys using on mini-van or Tahoe's,Surburbans, Explorer type vehicles ?

Saddle types or roller types

Megabyte

nightfighter 08-09-2006 08:36 PM

http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/prod..._id=28&sku=883

What happened with survey and sea trial?

Megabyte 08-09-2006 08:42 PM

Paddled

Nightfighter,

Passed & passed.

Boat is in Bristol, ME this evening.

Everything went well.

What to do next ? ? ? ? ?

Bruce

HighTide 08-10-2006 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megabyte
What kind of racks are you guys using on mini-van or Tahoe's,Surburbans, Explorer type vehicles ?

Saddle types or roller types

Megabyte

I use the soft foam pads and straps for the minivan, but when I take my truck, I just put it in back. Thinking of getting a rack type bed extension.
The bed is 6' and the yak's 12', every time I transport it, I can see it falling off.:eek:

rocketman 08-10-2006 08:21 AM

Anyone ever try a Heritage Redfish or Heritage Fisherman Pro14?

falkners 08-18-2006 11:24 AM

I have a Tarpon 160 and a Trailblazer with a set of Thule rollers in the rear and Shark pads in the front mounted to Thule extra long bars due to the added weight of my tricked out boat (75 Lbs?). It works great. I place a rubber bath mat over the back window , place the boat at about a 45 angle to the car axis and lift the bow up and onto the rollers, then grabbing the stern I roll it up and on. I added some Thule ski racks to the opposite aide for my rods so I can rig them all up at home for a quick launch for when the skeeters are biting. I have a bad back so this system works great for me.

nightfighter 08-18-2006 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocketman
Anyone ever try a Heritage Redfish or Heritage Fisherman Pro14?

Beachwalker has a Fisherman 14 which he will be selling to me when we can hook up. He loves it, but has a bum shoulder. Can't wait to get it as he has it tricked out with combo GPS/FF!

FishermanTim 01-12-2007 03:01 PM

You might want to try a couple of those pool floats called "noodles".
Basically a long foam tube you can bent.
I load a pram into the bed of my pickup "solo" using these.
(Every time I go fishing, someone will always ask if I need some help loading or unloading the boat.)
I space 4 of them along the bed of the truck, lift the boat on to the gate, lift and push. These foam tubes roll in easily, and provide cushion underneath. I also put one (bent in half) behind the stern of the boat to prevent it from hitting the cab.
Tie it down, and you're good to go.