Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   What's considered a good breakfast now a days?? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=71829)

Saltheart 06-22-2011 02:51 PM

What's considered a good breakfast now a days??

I've had my share of coffee and donut breakfasts or 5000 calories fat filled breakfast skillet meals, etc. Yes I know a chocolate covered coffee roll is not at the top of the nutrition list.

I always felt I was doing well if I had a bowl of cereal instead of the donuts. I like Quaker 100% Natural cereal so I boght a big box of that. Oats, whole grains, nuts , fiber man its like eating pure good health from a bowl.....wrong. Now they say it has a lot of fat (if its fat from the nuts its OK but apparently the bulk of the fat is not from the nuts. OK Try again.

I like Kellogs Raisin Bran. What with all that fiber in the Bran and some vitamins in the raisins and not even mentioning the benefits to the waste disposal system, yep Raisin Brans a winner,,,,nope. Now they say they take those two scoops of raisins and sugar coat them. Now why a sweet raisin needs to be sugar coated is beyond me but apparrently its true. Also any cereal with milk is a problem unless you use skim milk, etc, etc.

So what about fruit for break fast? Sounds good but they say some have a high glycimic index...How about a nice multigrain muffin...nope , muffins are 5 times bigger than they should be and some have over 500 calories in just 1 muffin (and who can eat just one :).

So anyway , what the hey is considered a good healthy breakfast these day?

Fishoholic 06-22-2011 03:22 PM

When I try to go healthy I do a bowl of Total Cranberry with a few strawberries cut up on top. Pretty damn good too!

FishermanTim 06-22-2011 03:32 PM

Chocolate Cherrios.....GOOD

Everthing bagel and TALL glass of OJ and Ruby Red Grapefruit mixed....GOOD

Chocolate chip waffle and sausage with same drink as above....BETTER

Leftover corned beef dinner mined and made into hash, with whole wheat toast and same drink....BEST!

I also do eat baked beans with breakfast when offered!

spence 06-22-2011 03:58 PM

1/2 a cold pizza.

PRBuzz 06-22-2011 04:24 PM

:rotf2:Wait until O.D. Mike chimes in on this thread! When the waitress asks Mike what he will have on the menu, he answers Yes!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

nightfighter 06-22-2011 04:25 PM

Caffeine, glucose, and nicotine.....

Fishpart 06-22-2011 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 867453)
1/2 a cold pizza.

and a couple of sorority leftovers....

OLD GOAT 06-22-2011 05:04 PM

I lost fifty lbs in two months by eating boiled eggs for breakfast and lunch.
5or6 for breakfast and 4or5 for lunch.
For supper meat and veggies,, nothing white

Raider Ronnie 06-22-2011 05:34 PM

What's considered a good breakfast now a days??

Arthur & Pats in Green Harbor !

:uhuh:

tattoobob 06-22-2011 06:01 PM

Usually for me it's Coffee and a few cigarettes

but a healthy breakfast is fruit and oatmeal

chefchris401 06-22-2011 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD GOAT (Post 867475)

Congrats on the weight loss.

I joined a gym a few month back the pt and diet guru suggested 3 hardboiled eggs and two slices on real whole wheat toast for breakfast. Takes your body more calories to burn it then you take in.

Slingah 06-22-2011 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie (Post 867480)

you know it Ronnie....:uhuh:

Mike P 06-22-2011 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chefchris401 (Post 867491)
Congrats on the weight loss.

I joined a gym a few month back the pt and diet guru suggested 3 hardboiled eggs and two slices on real whole wheat toast for breakfast. Takes your body more calories to burn it then you take in.

Your diet guru needs to take up another line of work. :doh: There is no such thing as any food that takes more energy to digest than you take in.

Pete F. 06-22-2011 10:13 PM

2 eggs scrambled, home fries, sausage patties, rye toast and coffee will do me fine. At Phils in Wakefield in a few more months.

iamskippy 06-22-2011 10:41 PM

i find it hard to find a decent breakfast, i use to enjoy some steak and eggs with tasty garlic homefries, but cant find it anymore

Nebe 06-22-2011 11:03 PM

Did someone say Phils?? :)

BigFish 06-23-2011 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tattoobob (Post 867490)
Usually for me it's Coffee and a few cigarettes

but a healthy breakfast is fruit and oatmeal

Don't the cigarettes get stuck in your teeth???:rotf2:

The Dad Fisherman 06-23-2011 05:04 AM

Oatmeal w/ fresh fruit and nuts is always good and healthy for you.

I do Mini Wheats in the morning...they are High Fiber and High Protein...only knock on them is the sugar.

read the labels....my diet guru :hihi: said to always look for High Fiber And High Protein when choosing food.....

also don't get caught up in the whole Fat Free craze...fat is good for you...you just want to stay away from Saturated Fats and Trans Fats....you need unsaturated fats in your diet.

Raven 06-23-2011 05:54 AM

corn is healthier for ya than wheat....

oats are heathier for ya than corn

i always (typically) work up an appetite and have a late break fast

orange or grapefruit juice is best when your eating anything chocolate

because the citric acid counter acts the negative oxcylic acid
in chocolate that causes kidney stones when combined with uric acid that's a result of eating meat. keep that in mind !

poached eggs are better than hard boiled ....
i love waffles on SUNDAY - a family tradition :uhuh:

micro waved bacon cooked on a paper towel then crumbled
is better than eating it softer.... with grease

some mornings it's just pure whey protien
if i'm going to do some hard labor...

Jackbass 06-23-2011 06:30 AM

Whole protein (low fat) and a low glycemic Carb.

Jackbass 06-23-2011 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFish (Post 867542)
Don't the cigarettes get stuck in your teeth???:rotf2:

Lmao! That has been a problem for me since I quit smoking them.

justplugit 06-23-2011 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 867545)
Oatmeal w/ fresh fruit and nuts is always good and healthy for you.

Yup, with banana,blueberries or straberries and skim milk.
Then you get the the protein, fiber, potassium and antioxidants.

A new study shows coffee is good for your prostate.

JohnR 06-23-2011 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackbass (Post 867559)
Whole protein (low fat) and a low glycemic Carb.

Agree - works for me - when i stick with it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by justplugit (Post 867567)
A new study shows coffee is good for your prostate.

Cleans me out in a heartbeat. Every morning. :devil2:

FishermanTim 06-23-2011 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike P (Post 867529)
Your diet guru needs to take up another line of work. :doh: There is no such thing as any food that takes more energy to digest than you take in.

What about lettuce or celery?
Neither one has any nutritional benefit, just fiber and ruffage.

Raven 06-23-2011 10:54 AM

except for

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike P (Post 867529)

BEER,

slowest thing to digest you consume
takes to long to find the right brew

you waste gas looking for it
you produce gas when burping it

and fart gas after drinking it
burn even more gas going to get more of it :grins:

luds 06-23-2011 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie (Post 867480)

Is that the hole in the wall by Brant Rock with only a handfull of tables? I had fish cake egg benedicts in that joint the was amazing. Good home fries also.

Saltheart 06-23-2011 11:20 AM

I used to like the oatmeal with added goodies at the work cafeteria but on your own its tough. At the caf you could get the oatmeal in a bowl and add say raisins walnust almond slivers , couple apple slices and maybe some spice like cimimumum. To do that at home you need to spend $30 to get a packagae of each and 3/4 of it goes bad before you get to eat it. But I do agree , that makes a nice breakfast. yes eggs , sausdage homefries pancakes juice and coffee is a great breakfast but i asked about healthy. :)

I like coffee with breakfast as I only drink coffee before say 1 PM. After that it keeps me awake. I used to drink about 5 cups a day from 7 AM to even 11 PM and I slept like a rock.

I think a McD egg Mcmuffin is not too bad ind even good for you if you tell them no cheese and no butter (or whatever it is they oil the muffin with). Minus those two its a damned good tasting , low fat , high protein sandwich. One problem I have is that I may enter the drive in line with egg mcmuffin in mind but exit with2 sausage egg and cheese muffins because they are on special 2 for $3. The sausage version has about 60% more calories and you get 2 with the special so you net calorie intake goes up like 3 to 1 and your fat intake goes up like 4 to 1.

Fishoholic 06-23-2011 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD GOAT (Post 867475)

and how many friends did you lose!? If I ate 10 hard boiled eggs a day all of RI would get poisoned from the methane gas! :yak5:

Rockport24 06-23-2011 11:34 AM

Yeah I need to start eating healthy breakfasts too! Egg while omelets are always good as long as you use some kind of low fat cheese, not like a pound of cheddar!

OLD GOAT 06-23-2011 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishoholic (Post 867643)
and how many friends did you lose!? If I ate 10 hard boiled eggs a day all of RI would get poisoned from the methane gas! :yak5:

Kinda tough on waders as well