Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Lathe question (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=60901)

Higgie 12-09-2009 10:18 PM

Lathe question

My bro in law just inherited two metal lathes and i was offered one. I'm not familiar with turning wood or metal so im not to sure of RPM requirements for plug building. I know metal lathes spin slower but didnt know of the free.99 price tag would fit the bill for my first lathe spin plugs. Any thoughts?

Mugz 12-09-2009 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turf Guy (Post 729783)
I know metal lathes spin slower

Not true.......most have adjustable belts.....or speed controls. Depends on how old they are I guess or the model.

You'd need to adapt it for wood......but possible. I'm sure someone here has done it.

Sweet score for sure. Would love to have one in my shop at home.

Rockfish9 12-10-2009 07:34 AM

you havent stated what type of lather these are, check the power requirements, most metal working lathes are 3 phase... not you average lathe...and As Scott has said, all are variable speed...

another problem associated with using metal working lathes for woodworking is dust and debris sticking to the ways and compacting the gibbs, as most are oil fed... check it over close before getting too involved in setting it up...

ProfessorM 12-10-2009 09:42 AM

all above statements are great. I do all my thru drilling on a metal lathe. I cover it up good with newspaper to protect it. I am pretty sure Chum use's a metal lathe for his plugs and he is one of the best. I would imagine you can adjust the machine to go fast enough to turn wood but like Joe stated it may not be cost effective to use for that in the long run.

numbskull 12-10-2009 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turf Guy (Post 729783)
My bro in law just inherited two metal lathes and i was offered one. I'm not familiar with turning wood or metal so im not to sure of RPM requirements for plug building. I know metal lathes spin slower but didnt know of the free.99 price tag would fit the bill for my first lathe spin plugs. Any thoughts?

Take it and sell it to me, then buy whatever wood lathe you like. I'm serious. What kind is it?

ProfessorM 12-10-2009 04:17 PM

yup he's serious. He is always eyeing all our lathes when he stops by. Plus I could make some side $$$ showing him how to use it:uhuh:

Higgie 12-11-2009 06:42 AM

Im going cross state to see my family next week and i will have some more info on the lathe but if you are serious numbskull i will pm ou when i get it home.

eastendlu 12-11-2009 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by numbskull (Post 729884)
Take it and sell it to me, then buy whatever wood lathe you like. I'm serious. What kind is it?

Me thinks someones wheels are spinning.:smash:Numbskull solid metal plugs guaranteed to hold up to bluefish?:jump1: