Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Container ship breaks in two... (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=97569)

nightfighter 08-12-2021 12:19 PM

Container ship breaks in two...

1 Attachment(s)
This ship ran aground off Japan and broke in two..... The photo just boggles my mind. Structurally, how could this happen? Too clean a break, IMO.

beamie 08-12-2021 12:33 PM

Not a containership
Bulker with cranes

Not suppose to ran aground
Your truck will break too when running into a wall.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

nightfighter 08-12-2021 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beamie (Post 1212787)
Not a containership
Bulker with cranes

I stand corrected.... Filled with wood chips. Maybe they should spill them to soak up the fuel that has spilled.

Point well taken, Beamie, but i was just shocked at such a clean break. Even the rust encrusted frame on my Express 3500 wouldn't break that clean.

spence 08-12-2021 04:25 PM

Bad hull design I'd guess. Imagine being the Capt'n at 45 with the cargo floating away.

Raider Ronnie 08-12-2021 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beamie (Post 1212787)
Not a containership
Bulker with cranes

Jon
I know the ships my son been on must go to dry dock every 5 years for inspections & recertification to continue sailing, I assume the ships you are on its the same deal.
I’m guessing the standards are not the same in other countries (kind of like the environment) & may be an explanation of ship breaking in 1/2
My sons company brought a few ships into dry dock for inspections and those ships were put out of commission because of bad metal plates on ships that weren’t very old.
Built with #^&#^&#^&#^& Chinese steel !

beamie 08-13-2021 11:19 AM

Lots of factors
Lots of stresses on a grounded ship
All ships are built to a class standard whether ABS DNV LLOYDS RINA etc
And yes there are steel standards and Chinese steel not the best reputation for sure
Ronnie. Drydockings required twice in 5 years but may have an in the water survey in the middle on lieu of drydock depending on age. I deal with this allot as I speak actually. Companies want to save money. Shipyards are expensive no kidding.
Not sure where that ship was built but not old. My ship is 1986. Getting old.
I’d have to say the design of a bulker with big open holds is weaker than a tanker or container
I wonder what they use the wood chips for. Energy or making Osb.

Pete F. 08-13-2021 11:49 AM

CRIMSON POLARIS is a Bulk carrier built in 2008 by TSUNEISHI SHIPBUILDING - TOKYO, JAPAN. Currently sailing under the flag of Panama.

PaulS 08-13-2021 01:02 PM

Reminds me of that movie a few years ago about the Coast Guard rescue when 2 ships broke in 2 off of Mass.

beamie 08-17-2021 01:06 PM

Why do they always make movies about the ships that sink
Not a good thought when you do it for a living.
I’d rather a movie on a great ship that always makes it and lasts years!!