Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Beer & Beverage (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   White Ales (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=68514)

chefchris401 01-12-2011 01:29 PM

White Ales

1 Attachment(s)
Heres my favorite white ale.

South Hampton Double White from Long Island.

Great beer, very clean feeling, taste great.

If you like UFO, Blue Moon, etc, try this one.

flyvice11787 01-12-2011 09:28 PM

My favorite white ale also. I always try to stop by the brew pub where it originated every time I fish Montauk or Shinnecock Inlet. Great way to cap off a day of fishing :tooth:.

Oh, BTW, the Double White has a little kick to it. I believe it's about 8% ABV (they use to be stronger). 3 or 4 of them can put you down quick, as you don't really taste the alcohol.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Piscator 01-12-2011 09:32 PM

Allagash White Ale is fantastic!

Jenn 01-13-2011 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piscator (Post 826996)
Allagash White Ale is fantastic!

mmmmmm...one of my favs

Saltheart 01-15-2011 11:58 AM

Never been big on wheat beers. Funny part is while I don't like say 7 lb pale to 3.5 lb wheat , I almost always add one pound of wheat when mashing say 18 to 20 lb pale malt.

For whites , I love the smell of crushed coriander seeds. Not so easy to find. Whole Foods carries them , you do the brushing yourself.

Bitter and sweet orange peels are a pain in the butt. They grow mold on the skins when stored and few places have them so when you mail order you sometimes get old ones , etc.

The beer has a clean taste but I doubt I have ever had more than two at any given time. Blue Moon was very popular at one time.

chefchris401 01-15-2011 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyvice11787 (Post 826995)
My favorite white ale also. I always try to stop by the brew pub where it originated every time I fish Montauk or Shinnecock Inlet. Great way to cap off a day of fishing :tooth:.

Oh, BTW, the Double White has a little kick to it. I believe it's about 8% ABV (they use to be stronger). 3 or 4 of them can put you down quick, as you don't really taste the alcohol.

Yeah the brewery is great, love the fact I can buy growlers of all of their beers!!! Lots of eye candy too.

Hopefully Ill be working out there again this season.

Their 10th annivesery beer is one of my all time favorites.

flyvice11787 01-15-2011 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chefchris401 (Post 827832)
Yeah the brewery is great, love the fact I can buy growlers of all of their beers!!! Lots of eye candy too.

Hopefully Ill be working out there again this season.

Their 10th annivesery beer is one of my all time favorites.

If you're out on LI, let me know and we'll meet up for some fishing and brews at the Publick House.

spence 01-15-2011 03:28 PM

I remember being in a bar in Luxembourg one late night with this incredibly hot bartender who didn't speak a word of English teaching me how to say Hoegarden properly. For some reason I just couldn't seem to get it right :hihi:

The best domestic white I remember is Celis, a Texas brewery run by a Belgian ex-pat. Haven't seen it in years though.

Generally speaking, I think most US micro wheat beers are terrible.

Recently I've seen a German wheat at the local shops by the name of Kuputzinger or something like that. Green label and comes in a flip top or even better a mini keg for only about 20 bucks. Really excellent and the mini keg is a steal, I've seen them at Allen's, Moriartys and I think Stone Bridge.

-spence

flyvice11787 01-15-2011 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 827839)
I remember being in a bar in Luxembourg one late night with this incredibly hot bartender who didn't speak a word of English teaching me how to say Hoegarden properly. For some reason I just couldn't seem to get it right :hihi:.

How many beers did you have up to that point :D? Seriously, have you tried the Double White? Excellent beer.

spence 01-15-2011 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyvice11787 (Post 827852)
How many beers did you have up to that point :D? Seriously, have you tried the Double White? Excellent beer.

I'd be willing to wager I was not sober :devil2:

But I do remember she was pretty nice even adjusting for beer goggs. I'll have to try the Double White as no, I have not tried it.

-spence