Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Political Threads (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   why should each state keep 2 senate seats (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=94297)

wdmso 10-08-2018 08:11 AM

why should each state keep 2 senate seats

Saw this the other night Wyoming

Rhode Island’s largest county has more people than Wyoming. RI
1.06 million ‎ 2 seats

Wyoming. sentor only has like 200,000 in his district total population
579,315 1 seat

•South Dakota
869,666 1 seat
#^&
•North Dakota
755,393 1 seat

•Delaware 1 seat

Should these states even get a seat ? or is this everyone gets a participation trophy .. or just another example of a rigged system like gerrymandering

Top 10 Most Gerrymandered States

1. North Carolina 2. Maryland 3. Pennsylvania 4. West Virginia 5: kentucky 6. Louisiana 7. Utah 8. Texas 9. Arkansas 10. Ohio

substantial effects of gerrymandering. In North Carolina, the GOP won 53 percent of the votes and 77 percent of the seats (10 out of 13). In Pennsylvania, they won 53 percent of the votes and 72 percent of the seats (13 out of 18). In Ohio, they won 56 percent of the vote and 75 percent of seats.

North carolina Last year, Democrats won nearly 50% of the vote, yet they hold only 38% of the seats in the state House and 30% of the seats in the state Senate.

And some here think Dems play dirty ?

Sea Dangles 10-08-2018 08:32 AM

Lets change the rules here!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Pete F. 10-08-2018 09:14 AM

It's the only thing that keeps rural america from disappearing
This is a graphic from 2013 but it has not changed much
https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nyti...advantage.html
At that time it ranged from California with 19 million per senator to Wyoming with 310,000.
They don't need to screw with that, remember almost all of us are residents of small states.
Term limits and campaign contribution limits are what we need, take the profit out of politics

JohnR 10-08-2018 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1152848)
Saw this the other night Wyoming

Rhode Island’s largest county has more people than Wyoming. RI
1.06 million ‎ 2 seats

Wyoming. sentor only has like 200,000 in his district total population
579,315 1 seat

•South Dakota
869,666 1 seat
#^&
•North Dakota
755,393 1 seat

•Delaware 1 seat

Should these states even get a seat ? or is this everyone gets a participation trophy .. or just another example of a rigged system like gerrymandering

Top 10 Most Gerrymandered States

1. North Carolina 2. Maryland 3. Pennsylvania 4. West Virginia 5: kentucky 6. Louisiana 7. Utah 8. Texas 9. Arkansas 10. Ohio

substantial effects of gerrymandering. In North Carolina, the GOP won 53 percent of the votes and 77 percent of the seats (10 out of 13). In Pennsylvania, they won 53 percent of the votes and 72 percent of the seats (13 out of 18). In Ohio, they won 56 percent of the vote and 75 percent of seats.

North carolina Last year, Democrats won nearly 50% of the vote, yet they hold only 38% of the seats in the state House and 30% of the seats in the state Senate.

And some here think Dems play dirty ?

OK Wayne, 5th grade civics lesson.

And Rhode Island is on the cusp of losing one of its Representatives due to slight decrease in population and increase in population in other places. So like Wyoming, Vermont, and Montana they would have only one. See, Representatives, ahem, REPRESENTATIVES, represent states by the population. The more population, the more reps. This is fair to the states (and by extension cities) with large populations, particularly expanding populations.

The Senate on the other hand equally represents each state so that California cannot swamp Rhode Island.

This balance is both beautiful and well thought out. It is fair to all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1152848)

Did you really mean that? Seriously?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 1152851)
It's the only thing that keeps rural america from disappearing
This is a graphic from 2013 but it has not changed much
https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nyti...advantage.html
At that time it ranged from California with 19 million per senator to Wyoming with 310,000.
They don't need to screw with that, remember almost all of us are residents of small states.
Term limits and campaign contribution limits are what we need, take the profit out of politics

Pete - back to Gulag for not parroting party line !!

Pete F. 10-08-2018 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnR (Post 1152852)

Pete - back to Gulag for not parroting party line !!

Don't worry, I'm very independent.
But, I will gladly admit to despising Don the Con and posting things to stir the pot.

scottw 10-08-2018 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 1152855)

no one that continually posts as much stuff that didn't come out of their own brain as you do can claim to be independent in any way :bl:

Pete F. 10-08-2018 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 1152856)
no one that continually posts as much stuff that didn't come out of their own brain as you do can claim to be independent in any way :bl:

Another brilliant contribution, thanks for your deep insight into the subject as usual:hs:

scottw 10-08-2018 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 1152857)
Another brilliant contribution, thanks for your deep insight into the subject as usual:hs:

no problem....short and sweet :eek:

JohnR 10-08-2018 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 1152855)
But, I will gladly admit to despising Don the Con and posting things to stir the pot.

; )

wdmso 10-08-2018 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Dangles (Post 1152849)
Lets change the rules here!

GOP has been doing this for decades

I agree thren gerrymandering became what it is today ... and there went fairness

may not be illegal but it's far from ethical

The Dad Fisherman 10-08-2018 04:46 PM

You do know that Senate Seats aren't assigned by population, right?

Or is this the SB version of "The Onion"

JohnR 10-08-2018 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1152860)
GOP has been doing this for decades

I agree thren gerrymandering became what it is today ... and there went fairness

may not be illegal but it's far from ethical

BTW - we are in agreement on Gerrymandering - should be removed - though that would surely crush Dems in cities ; ) - Unless the Dems continue to split areas based on cities.

You picked out the Republican Gerrymandering - now do the Dems :rude:

scottw 10-08-2018 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 1152867)

well....we just learned that supreme court justices write laws sooooo....there's so much to learn here

Sea Dangles 10-08-2018 07:56 PM

This thread got funny. Homework assignment

wdmso 10-09-2018 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnR (Post 1152868)
BTW - we are in agreement on Gerrymandering - should be removed - though that would surely crush Dems in cities ; ) - Unless the Dems continue to split areas based on cities.

You picked out the Republican Gerrymandering - now do the Dems :rude:

"You picked out the Republican Gerrymandering"

I listed the top 10 gerrymandering States Sorry if the majority were red?

wdmso 10-09-2018 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 1152867)

no kidding... but seems the bigger picture is lost on some

In the last few decades, Democrats have expanded their advantages in California and New York — states with huge urban centers But those two states elect only 4 percent of the Senate. Meanwhile, Republicans have made huge advances in small rural states — think Arkansas, North and South Dakota, Iowa, Louisiana, Montana and West Virginia — that wield disproportionate power in the upper chamber compared to their populations.

scottw 10-09-2018 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1152879)

In the last few decades, Democrats have expanded their advantages in California and New York — states with huge urban centers But those two states elect only 4 percent of the Senate. Meanwhile, Republicans have made huge advances in small rural states — think Arkansas, North and South Dakota, Iowa, Louisiana, Montana and West Virginia — that wield disproportionate power in the upper chamber compared to their populations.

aaaand...that's because the number of senators per state is not based on population...see how this works? I think it's in the Constitution:smash:

The Dad Fisherman 10-09-2018 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 1152880)
aaaand...that's because the number of senators per state is not based on population...see how this works? I think it's in the Constitution:smash:

I guess the simple picture is lost on some.... :hee:

Sea Dangles 10-09-2018 05:47 AM

Wow
Just wow

JohnR 10-09-2018 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1152878)
"You picked out the Republican Gerrymandering"

I listed the top 10 gerrymandering States Sorry if the majority were red?

But what you are unwilling or incapable of understanding is that it is a practice done by both sides, yet you will only call out the sworn enemy of the proletariat.

Go by this map and the least Gerrymandered states are Republican (there is a reason for that ; ) ). Point is that it is easy to cherry pick your supporting facts if you can discard others.

https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-ap...rry.png&w=1484

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1152879)

Yet they wield shockingly small power in the lower chamber that represents by population and are constanly under the thumb of California and New York. Something, something, balance, something.

Are you missing something? Or do you simply want to eliminate the Constitution and do something else?

Pete F. 10-09-2018 08:05 AM

Here is a possible solution by what I perceive as a relatively non partisan organization.
Both sides are guilty, but republicans currently control more state legislatures and therefore have more opportunity, numbers somewheres around 32-14 with the rest being split legislatures.
https://www.ced.org/reports/solving-...gerrymandering

Nebe 10-09-2018 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 1152869)
well....we just learned that supreme court justices write laws sooooo....there's so much to learn here

Your digital way of thinking is really sad. It just sort of proves that there are some who focus on the small details and can not see the big picture.. kind of like that bitter gun lover who will only support the politician who will let him keep his guns but will screw him over sideways in every other way he can. Of course the Supreme Court doesn’t write laws, but my point was they are the final say in how they are enforced. New laws will be written knowing that the supreme courts balance had now changed. I’m not saying this is 100% bad but I’m ready to start seeing regression happening. I guess you can have I guess you can only have so much progressive intellect in the system before the other side needs their turn.

JohnR 10-09-2018 09:40 AM

ScottW - Nebe is right, you gotta smoke more dope to understand the big picture. This obviates the need to determine to follow the law and instead clarifies what laws you can ignore and which ones are absolute.

Nebe - what is this Big Picture you speak of?

The Dad Fisherman 10-09-2018 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnR (Post 1152892)
Nebe - what is this Big Picture you speak of?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the phrase "Progressive Intellect"

scottw 10-09-2018 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 1152886)
Your digital way of thinking is really sad. It just sort of proves that there are some who focus on the small details and can not see the big picture.. kind of like that bitter gun lover who will only support the politician who will let him keep his guns but will screw him over sideways in every other way he can. Of course the Supreme Court doesn’t write laws, but my point was they are the final say in how they are enforced. New laws will be written knowing that the supreme courts balance had now changed. I’m not saying this is 100% bad but I’m ready to start seeing regression happening. I guess you can have I guess you can only have so much progressive intellect in the system before the other side needs their turn.

tantrum... :hihi:

JohnR 10-09-2018 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 1152897)
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the phrase "Progressive Intellect"

I did a quick double take there but passed that low hanging fruit. :musc::hee::lama:

The Dad Fisherman 10-09-2018 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnR (Post 1152920)
I did a quick double take there but passed that low hanging fruit. :musc::hee::lama:

I thought about it, but then I wouldn't have been true to myself :hihi:

wdmso 10-09-2018 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnR (Post 1152884)
But what you are unwilling or incapable of understanding is that it is a practice done by both sides, [/IMG]

Love the both sides do it argument ... that justifies everything in a conservatives mind

Sea Dangles 10-09-2018 05:57 PM

That’s right Wayne, only one side should be allowed to stoop that low and you were there first.

wdmso 10-11-2018 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Dangles (Post 1152941)
That’s right Wayne, only one side should be allowed to stoop that low and you were there first.

seems fixing an issue and excusing an issue are somehow the same thing. in your view