Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Grumpy Old Pharts Board (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   garden pests!!! (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=93845)

FishermanTim 06-21-2018 12:44 PM

garden pests!!!

I'm used to having back yard critters roam around the yard, occasionally digging in the gardens plots, but usually not a problem.

This year we have lots of chipmunks that have a habit of munching my tomato plants, stripping them bare.

So I figure I'll put down some mothballs and sprinkle cayenne pepper on the plants to deter them....

NOPE!

They must love hot pepper, and the grackles seem to not know that the mothballs are not eggs because they keep taking them out of the garden boxes and try to "crack them open".

My next line of attack is going to be sticky traps around the remaining plants!

Raven 06-22-2018 01:05 PM

8 inches of water in a 5 gallon bucket
then float a 6 inch plastic lid with
a handful of sunflower seeds on it
place a ramp up to the bucket rim
chippys jump in to get seeds and drown

afterhours 06-25-2018 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raven (Post 1145147)
8 inches of water in a 5 gallon bucket
then float a 6 inch plastic lid with
a handful of sunflower seeds on it
place a ramp up to the bucket rim
chippys jump in to get seeds and drown

Yup the ole stairway to heaven trick, works well!

Raven 06-25-2018 06:10 PM

or the mini havahart works extremely well

FishermanTim 06-26-2018 10:36 AM

I will flip a coin, either sticky trap or "dunk tank".

Raven 07-05-2018 07:37 PM

got five mice in one night

apparently

other floating mice doesn't stop them from trying to jump in

FishermanTim 07-10-2018 11:34 AM

I found another deterrent that seems to do the trick (much to the chagrin of my family).
I sprinkle large predator urine around the garden box. Not on the plants, but around the perimeter. There hasn't been any further destruction to the plants.

By large predator I mean ME.

The Dad Fisherman 07-10-2018 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishermanTim (Post 1146367)
I found another deterrent that seems to do the trick (much to the chagrin of my family).
I sprinkle large predator urine around the garden box. Not on the plants, but around the perimeter. There hasn't been any further destruction to the plants.

By large predator I mean ME.

Not that far off of an idea. I usually spread coyote urine around the perimeter of my garden. I get a bottle of it at the co-op

Fishpart 07-11-2018 12:21 PM

So far mothballs seem to be keeping the bunnies out of the beans, if they stop working large predator urine is next. The woodchucks keep dying of lead poisoning..

Guppy 07-11-2018 01:48 PM

Whitetail eating the hostsa ,,,, nice to know their still around my neighborhood

Raven 07-18-2018 05:58 AM

invite them in for a weed cookie:love:

FishermanTim 07-23-2018 11:18 AM

I switched over to ammonia (instead of using my own brand of #1)
and the critters seem to have gotten the hint.
The problem now is that the plants are just starting to re-grow and are a good month behind where they should have been.
(I say a month because I started out late this year.)

I have a plan for next year which will involve potatoes on a larger scale than my test plantings this year.

That and getting a bigger compost pile established as well!

Guppy 07-23-2018 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raven (Post 1146951)
invite them in for a weed cookie:love:

Good idea... :-)
👍

nightfighter 07-23-2018 06:22 PM

Effing squirrels getting after the tomatoes.... Wondering how many of the D-con squares they can tolerate... They have consumed three so far.

Cool Beans 07-23-2018 06:35 PM

the electric fence around my chicken coop so far has killed 5 chipmunks since last year. They used to eat all of my strawberries, but this year they seem to have all been zapped or moved out of the area. Was able to make 8 jars of Jam from the strawberries this year.

Fishpart 07-24-2018 07:40 AM

Venison eating the Cucumber plants :af: