Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Political Threads (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Obama the Liar at it again... (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=85635)

Jim in CT 04-12-2014 07:54 AM

Obama the Liar at it again...

S#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g up to Al Sharpton with dishonest, paranoid, race-baiting garbage...

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-vote-und...tics.html?vp=1

My favorite line...

""About 60 percent of Americans don't have a passport," he said. "Just because you can't have the money to travel abroad doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to vote here at home."

Hey Spence, I wasn't aware that any conservatives were requiring a passport to vote, were you?

Under Obamacare, you need a photo id to get prescription drugs. Why isn't THAT racist?

Obama the uniter, my president, accurately articulating the position of the other side. Did we seriously elect this guy twice?

Raven 04-12-2014 08:09 AM

UNTIL HE or the next PRESIDENT
overturns or undoes the illegal shenanigan's
of what the CROOKED AS HELL
former president NIXON has Done
with his Cronies in the DEA (falsifying reports)
turning this Country into the LAND of MANY PRISON's
i will Simply have NO RESPECT for the FEDERAL Government
or the OFFICE of the President

Fly Rod 04-12-2014 01:37 PM

This guy is an extremist... radical...which ever one U want to call him.

spence 04-12-2014 03:49 PM

Republicans do appear to be focused on making it harder for minorities and poor to vote…is that right?

Perhaps more importantly, is voter fraud really a concern?

-spence

PaulS 04-12-2014 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1038850)
Republicans do appear to be focused on making it harder for minorities and poor to vote…is that right?

Perhaps more importantly, is voter fraud really a concern?

-spence

You nailed it.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

detbuch 04-12-2014 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulS (Post 1038856)
You nailed it.

Yes he nailed it with "appear". The rhetoric intentionally tries to make it "appear" that Republicans are trying to make it harder for minorities and the poor to vote. Requiring identification should not make it harder to vote. If you cannot get identification, you have a problem, legal or otherwise, that you need to fix or it will be harder for you to do a lot of things besides vote--including run-ins with the law which minorities and poor people are more prone to have.

The same applies to other progressive rhetoric such as the "war on women," which is total nonsense, and minimum wage which very briefly "helps" but is soon neutralized by the inevitable rise in prices and loss of jobs, and equal pay for women for which there is already a long-standing federal law requiring equal pay for same or similar work--the overall discrepancy is mostly a result of the types of work women generally do as opposed to the types men generally do. But the raising of the "issues," as lame and useless as they mostly are, is meant not to solve problems, but to make it "appear" that Republicans want to make it more difficult for women, minorities, and the poor. Progressive legislation has been the dominant factor in moving government and its affect on society for the past 70 years. So if women, and minorities, and the poor are still having a harder time, it is the progressive movement that has made it so, not what "appears" to be opposition against it.

PaulS 04-12-2014 05:56 PM

I didn't say anything about Ids. cons. continue to shorten voting hours bc they know the poor have difficulty getting to the polls during normal voting hours. You have cons. Saying they shorten the hours for exactly that reason. I guess spence shouldn't have used the word "appear" since that is exactly the reason cons, have changed the voting rules, My grandmother never had an id.

detbuch 04-12-2014 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulS (Post 1038860)
I didn't say anything about Ids. cons. continue to shorten voting hours bc they know the poor have difficulty getting to the polls during normal voting hours. You have cons. Saying they shorten the hours for exactly that reason. I guess spence shouldn't have used the word "appear" since that is exactly the reason cons, have changed the voting rules, My grandmother never had an id.

In your grandmother's day they probably didn't have expanded voting hours and maybe not even absentee ballots. If not in her day, in somebody else's day. And if we go back far enough, most people knew most everybody else in their voting community. And life was probably more simple to the point of not needing id. There has always been some voter fraud. Various documented cases may make it more prevalent now. I may be old enough to be your grand father, I don't know how old you are, but I remember when election day was the day to vote. I don't know how it came to be that it was more difficult for the poor than the not poor to vote because of that. If you had a job, many employers gave a couple of hours off either in the morning or at the end of the shift to vote. And if you didn't have a job, you actually had more time to vote. And if transportation was a problem for one day, how was it not a problem for another day. And if there is a problem which makes it difficult to get to the polls either on a given day or at all, absentee ballot is available. And if you're in line before polls close, you will be allowed to vote. Which cons say that voting time should be shortened in order to prevent the poor from voting? And the voting rules have been changed before. That's not something new.

justplugit 04-12-2014 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detbuch (Post 1038866)
I may be old enough to be your grand father, I don't know how old you are, but I remember when election day was the day to vote. I don't know how it came to be that it was more difficult for the poor than the not poor to vote because of that. If you had a job, many employers gave a couple of hours off either in the morning or at the end of the shift to vote. And if you didn't have a job, you actually had more time to vote. And if transportation was a problem for one day, how was it not a problem for another day. And if there is a problem which makes it difficult to get to the polls either on a given day or at all, absentee ballot is available. And if you're in line before polls close, you will be allowed to vote. Which cons say that voting time should be shortened in order to prevent the poor from voting? And the voting rules have been changed before. That's not something new.

I doubt your old enough to be my Grandfather, :) but if my memory serves me right I registered to vote in 1960 when I was 21. In order to vote you had to take your birth certificate to the County Board of Elections to prove your age (21 at that time) and prove you were a US citizen. You were then issued a voting card. Polls were open from 7 am to 9 pm and people knowing it was their Right and responsibility made it their Patriotic Duty to get there.
In 74 the voting age was dropped to 18 so that our Armed Services, who were willing to give up their lives for their country had the right to vote also.

detbuch 04-12-2014 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justplugit (Post 1038872)
I doubt your old enough to be my Grandfather, :) but if my memory serves me right I registered to vote in 1960 when I was 21. In order to vote you had to take your birth certificate to the County Board of Elections to prove your age (21 at that time) and prove you were a US citizen. You were then issued a voting card. Polls were open from 7 am to 9 pm and people knowing it was their Right and responsibility made it their Patriotic Duty to get there.
In 74 the voting age was dropped to 18 so that our Armed Services, who were willing to give up their lives for their country had the right to vote also.

Your correct. It used to be "harder" to vote than it is now, or will be by any "Con" shortening of voting hours. And it was viewed as a right, responsibility, and patriotic duty, rather than a catered-to entitlement made to order for your convenience. All the good, important things in our lives require effort, most of them far more effort than it takes to vote, or took to vote when it was even more "difficult." Being one of our most important rights and duties, it actually should require enough effort to make abuse of the right more difficult. The more lax the requirements to vote, or the more time than necessary to vote, the more ease in falsifying the process. That we accept the need of ID, time restrictions, difficulty in getting to and performing work and pleasure, and so forth, yet consider it too burdensome for voting is amazing. I suppose if its too burdensome to pay on your own for contraceptives . . . yeah . . . I can see the "logic" of having everything else, including voting, made easier. Besides, it doesn't seem to make an impact on the direction the country is heading anyway. What the Hell, let's make it completely open. Voting should be allowed every day up until the election, by computer if necessary. No identification or citizenship should be required.

buckman 04-13-2014 05:50 AM

Last election bus loads of out of staters swarmed into NH and voted . I believe a certain state senator had 18 people registered to her home.
Here's a question ... Who the hell doesn't have an ID??
I can't think of one person.
The only people I know who were suppressed from exercising there right to vote were the military .

Jim in CT 04-13-2014 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulS (Post 1038856)
You nailed it.

He ndidn't nail anything.

Paul/Spence, see if you can answer this...

If the GOP's suggestion that requiring a picture id to vote is really aimed at keeping minorities from voting...then why isn't Obamacare's requirement that you show a picture id to pick up a prescription, actually the Democrat's racist ploy to keep minorities from getting their medicine? What's the difference?

And Paul, why is Obama linking this to passports? Has anyone, anywhere, ever, suggested that you need a passport to vote? Why can't our Dear Leader keep it intellectually honest for 2 seconds?

Jim in CT 04-13-2014 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckman (Post 1038881)
Who the hell doesn't have an ID??

A great question. The answer, of course, is "practically no one". Therefore, any law requiring an id to vote, is certainly not intended to keep all non-whites from voting.

But liberals in general, and Obama in particular, will never pass up a chance to demonize those who don't bow and kiss his ring. Because racisthatecrimeintolerantwaronwomenhomophobeislamo phobe.

buckman 04-13-2014 10:34 AM

Pretty degrading opinion of the poor to assume they can't get an ID . Now people here illegally , that's another issue , but I'm sure the Democrats can come up with something to get around that . Hmmmmm

spence 04-13-2014 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1038889)
If the GOP's suggestion that requiring a picture id to vote is really aimed at keeping minorities from voting...then why isn't Obamacare's requirement that you show a picture id to pick up a prescription, actually the Democrat's racist ploy to keep minorities from getting their medicine? What's the difference?

Well, first off is that even true? I've never heard about it and have picked up plenty of prescriptions in the past few years...

Even if it were true (hint: it's not) they're completely different scenarios. Giving the wrong prescription to someone could kill them.

Quote:

And Paul, why is Obama linking this to passports? Has anyone, anywhere, ever, suggested that you need a passport to vote? Why can't our Dear Leader keep it intellectually honest for 2 seconds?
Did you read the full transcript of what he said or is your entire opinion based off a quote lacking context?

-spence

Jim in CT 04-13-2014 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1038910)
Well, first off is that even true? I've never heard about it and have picked up plenty of prescriptions in the past few years...

Even if it were true (hint: it's not) they're completely different scenarios. Giving the wrong prescription to someone could kill them.

Did you read the full transcript of what he said or is your entire opinion based off a quote lacking context?

-spence

"Well, first off is that even true?" It is true. I'm not on Obamacare thank Christ, but I have to show my id every time I go to the pharmacy. You also need an id to buy cigarettes and alcohol, I think to get a library card. Are all of those regulations rooted in racism?

"Did you read the full transcript of what he said or is your entire opinion based off a quote lacking context?"

Spence, in what context did he mean the 'passport' reference? Put that in any context you want, it's still ignorant, dishonest, race-baiting demagoguery. And why did he say those people "can't" have enough money to travel, what the hell does that mean? Why "can't" they? Because of the Koch brothers, or is it all Rupert Murdoch's fault?

I'll concede that voter fraud isn't at the top of my list of concerns. But Obama is saying that the effort to ensure voter integrity, is tantamount to racism. It's bullsh*t, and I cannot fathom that we have a President who would stoop to that, all in an effort to kiss the azz of a hate-peddling liar like Al harpton. Al Sharpton commands the attention of the President of the US? Are you kidding me? Jay Z and Al Sharpton can get an audience with our President at the snap of their finger?

"Giving the wrong prescription to someone could kill them"

That's true. It's also true that if I say my name is Jese Jackson and I vote in that name, I am depriving Jesse Jackson of his sacred right to vote. The voters should be thankful for anyone who wants to take such an obviously harmless step to ensure voter integrity. It's unbelievable that anyone could possibly interpret that as racism.

Fly Rod 04-13-2014 04:57 PM

Spence...where I live the poor have vehicles.. if not free cab sevice or city mini bus will go to their door drive them where ever

need I D to get certain prescription drugs...buy cigarettes...need ID card for food card.

Some seem to make it to the polls to vote....therefore they can make it to a government building, they all have easy access.

Your logic has no value.....:)

spence 04-13-2014 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1038913)
"Well, first off is that even true?" It is true. I'm not on Obamacare thank Christ, but I have to show my id every time I go to the pharmacy. You also need an id to buy cigarettes and alcohol, I think to get a library card. Are all of those regulations rooted in racism?

If it's law you shouldn't have any problem showing a reference.

Perhaps your local pharmacy doesn't want to give you the wrong drugs and kill you?

Is it your civil responsibility to buy cigarettes and alcohol?

Quote:

Spence, in what context did he mean the 'passport' reference? Put that in any context you want, it's still ignorant, dishonest, race-baiting demagoguery. And why did he say those people "can't" have enough money to travel, what the hell does that mean? Why "can't" they? Because of the Koch brothers, or is it all Rupert Murdoch's fault?
I don't know as I haven't seen the full transcript. Hence, my reluctance to judge.

Quote:

I'll concede that voter fraud isn't at the top of my list of concerns. But Obama is saying that the effort to ensure voter integrity, is tantamount to racism. It's bullsh*t, and I cannot fathom that we have a President who would stoop to that, all in an effort to kiss the azz of a hate-peddling liar like Al harpton. Al Sharpton commands the attention of the President of the US? Are you kidding me? Jay Z and Al Sharpton can get an audience with our President at the snap of their finger?
No, Obama is saying that the effort to ensure voter integrity is both unnecessary and disproportionally impacts minorities and the poor. Certainly there's politics behind it, the GOP is trying to hurt voters that historically support their opponents and the Democrats are working to counter it.

But ultimately...are there people who legitimately don't hold an official government ID, are they breaking any laws in doing so, and do they have a right to vote?

-spence

scottw 04-13-2014 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1038916)

But ultimately...are there people who legitimately don't hold an official government ID,

-spence

name one......

spence 04-13-2014 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 1038918)
name one......

My Mother.

-spence

Jim in CT 04-13-2014 07:02 PM

Quote:

If it's law you shouldn't have any problem showing a reference.

Perhaps your local pharmacy doesn't want to give you the wrong drugs and kill you?

Is it your civil responsibility to buy cigarettes and alcohol?

I don't know as I haven't seen the full transcript. Hence, my reluctance to judge.

No, Obama is saying that the effort to ensure voter integrity is both unnecessary and disproportionally impacts minorities and the poor. Certainly there's politics behind it, the GOP is trying to hurt voters that historically support their opponents and the Democrats are working to counter it.

But ultimately...are there people who legitimately don't hold an official government ID, are they breaking any laws in doing so, and do they have a right to vote?

-spence

"I don't know as I haven't seen the full transcript. Hence, my reluctance to judge."

Your reluctance to judge comes from the fact that you are head-over-heals in love with the guy.

"are there people who legitimately don't hold an official government ID, are they breaking any laws in doing so, and do they have a right to vote?"

Can't cash a check without an id, can't get a library card...why not? If those without an id aren't breaking the law, why can't they do those things?

The answer, which is obvious to anyone over the age of 5 (unless they are blinded by ideology) is that sometimes it is prudent to make sure you know who you are dealing with. Ensuring voter integrity is necessarily a good thing. Why are you opposed to it? I agree fraud isn't a huge problem, by why not make it less of a problem? What is the harm? Are there large numbers of people out there, for whom getting an id is difficult?

And why does Obama give the time of day to a horse's ass like Sharpton? Why is Obama at his beck and call? There's the politics. Obama knows full well that no one has ever suggested using passports, but he knows that demonizing conservatives plays well to Sharpton's sheep. So Obama says things that he knows are untrue, to pander to that audience. Cowardly, and beneath the dignity of the office, and not something Bush was in the habit of doing.

scottw 04-13-2014 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1038920)
My Mother.

-spence

don't believe you

justplugit 04-13-2014 07:11 PM

Hmm, I wonder how all those check cashing stores ID their customers?

scottw 04-13-2014 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justplugit (Post 1038925)
Hmm, I wonder how all those check cashing stores ID their customers?

the argument is stupid, it's hardly an imposition to show an id, we all do it regularly, it's hard to navigate daily life without one...but that seems to be where we are at ...it just helps fan the flames

spence 04-13-2014 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 1038924)
don't believe you

Did you feel like jumping the shark or did it just come to you?

-spence

scottw 04-13-2014 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1038928)
Did you feel like jumping the shark or did it just come to you?

-spence

stupid:uhuh:

buckman 04-13-2014 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1038920)
My Mother.

-spence

I don't want to harp on this but your mother doesn't have any form of identification ? It is pretty hard to believe . Is she poor ?

spence 04-13-2014 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckman (Post 1038930)
I don't want to harp on this but your mother doesn't have any form of identification ? It is pretty hard to believe . Is she poor ?

I actually called her to confirm before I posted earlier. Shes does today, but didn't have *any* form of government ID for over 14 years due to health reasons. She only got an ID recently because of legal issues surrounding her mother's estate.

I'm pretty sure she's voted every election cycle regardless via absentee ballot.

So it's not that hard to believe, and no, she isn't even poor. Doubt she voted for Obama either...

-spence

scottw 04-13-2014 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1038932)
I actually called her to confirm before I posted earlier. Shes does today, but didn't have *any* form of government ID for over 14 years due to health reasons. She only got an ID recently because of legal issues surrounding her mother's estate.

I'm pretty sure she's voted every election cycle regardless via absentee ballot.

So it's not that hard to believe, and no, she isn't even poor. Doubt she voted for Obama either...

-spence

sorry, it's very hard to believe..and it's hardly an argument against requiring an id to vote..sounds like she was able to get one when she needed to

scottw 04-13-2014 08:40 PM

Quote:

the GOP is trying to hurt voters that historically support their opponents and the Democrats are working to counter it

-spence

which "GOP" in Rhode Island is perpetrating this horrible crime?

"Rhode Island passed a voter ID law in 2011, and it is the only state with a Democratic-controlled legislature to do so."

http://sos.ri.gov/elections/voterid/

"Poll workers will ask you to show a current and valid photo ID when you vote at your polling place. Voter ID strengthens the public’s faith in the integrity of our elections by enabling poll workers to match a voter’s face to the name they give at the polls."(unless the voter ID legislation is suggested by the "GOP" , in which case it becomes racist, bigoted and intended to harm the poor, elderly, minorities and others who traditionally vote democrat)

How to Obtain a Free Voter ID

You will not need a Voter ID card if you already have a valid and current Photo ID. If you need a Voter ID, we will provide you with a free one. You must provide one of these proofs of identity:

Employee ID card;
ID card provided by a commercial establishment;
Credit or debit card;
Military ID card;
Student ID card;
Health club ID card;
Insurance plan ID card;
Public housing ID card;
If you don’t have one of those proofs of identity, you must bring one of the following documents. It must include your name and be dated since November 6, 2012, unless the document is intended to be of a permanent nature such as a pardon or discharge:
Utility bill;
Bank statement;
Government paycheck;
Document issued by a government agency;
Official elections document issued by a government agency, dated for the election in which the registered voter is providing it as proof of identity;
Voter notification issued by a governmental agency;
Public housing ID card issued by a governmental agency;
Lease or rental statement or agreement issued by a governmental agency;
Student ID card issued by a governmental institution/agency or non-governmental institution/agency;
Tuition statement or bill issued by a governmental agency;
Insurance plan card or drug discount card issued by a government agency;
Discharge certificates, pardons, or other official documents issued to the registered voter by a governmental agency in connection with the resolution of a criminal case, indictment, sentence or other matter;
Public transit authority senior citizen and disabled discount ID card issued by a governmental agency;
ID documents issued by governmental disability agencies;
ID documents issued by homeless shelters and other temporary or transitional facilities;
Drug prescription issued by a government doctor or other governmental health care provider;
Property tax statement issued by a governmental agency;
Vehicle registration issued by a governmental agency; or
Vehicle certificate of ownership issued by a governmental agency