Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   StriperTalk! (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   American Eel Stock Assessment Update Finds Resource Remains Depleted (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=92928)

DZ 10-19-2017 10:44 AM

American Eel Stock Assessment Update Finds Resource Remains Depleted

1 Attachment(s)
What does the future hold for those that use eels as bait?

paradoxjim 10-19-2017 12:46 PM

Uncle Josh had some pretty nice "eels" that I have had success with. They are tougher than rubber for when those toothy critters are around.

numbskull 10-19-2017 01:46 PM

I blame Sauerkraut for this situation.

Rob Rockcrawler 10-20-2017 07:09 AM

Th glass eel fishery is crazy. If they are depleated why allow the fishing for glass eels? Just like any other fishery you know the poaching that goes on and those numbers are never accounted for.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

DZ 10-20-2017 07:20 AM

Here is an interesting hypothetical:
Eels and menhaden are facing added harvest restrictions.
If both were banned from being used as bait how much impact would it have on striped bass harvest? I'm thinking pretty significant.

Nebe 10-20-2017 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DZ (Post 1130244)
If both were banned from being used as bait how much impact would it have on striped bass harvest? I'm thinking pretty significant.

Dennis, the bait market is probably 0.005% of the strain on eels. People eat these things. And people are making a lot of money off of them as well. I doubt we will see any restrictions sadly.

DZ 10-20-2017 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 1130245)
Dennis, the bait market is probably 0.005% of the strain on eels. People eat these things. And people are making a lot of money off of them as well. I doubt we will see any restrictions sadly.

I understand that... but that was not my question ;)

scottw 10-20-2017 07:58 AM

Quote:

"let it be written....let it be done" :)

bobber 10-20-2017 07:22 PM

I've had this discussion before- the "gold rush" mentality that exists with the elver fishery is beyond ridiculous...... so much so that there was a reality TV show about it a few years back. those guys get thousands of dollars per pound for the mini-eels. and a pound of elvers means thousands of potential adult eels.

its time for that fishery to be eliminated

JohnR 10-21-2017 07:27 AM

Let's just ban fishing. Exceptions being use or white flies on even number days

bart 10-21-2017 09:26 AM

Quote:

In RI, unless there's unstable weather, it would be significant because the only way you're catching those lone slobs throughout the year is on a chunk or some form of eel. You can't catch what isn't there, although there have been some jumbos moving through this Fall. There would surely be less big fish caught at the Block as well if eels were banned.

On the Cape it would be less significant as tons of 20-30+# fish get caught on plugs/artificials all season long

Rockfish9 10-21-2017 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnR (Post 1130282)
Let's just ban fishing. Exceptions being use or white flies on even number days

On track with my thougbts...I wrote a long descriptive reply and deleted it...

numbskull 10-22-2017 05:44 AM

Consider that Stezko's 73# shore bass ate a fly (albeit a black one) in preference to the trailing eel and you will realize that if you had to you could fish very effectively for large striped bass using just white flies............provided you could deliver them with systems other than just a flyrod. Eels just make it all much easier.

DZ 10-23-2017 07:31 AM

The reason for my question is banning a baitfish from harvest is not unprecedented - consider the alewife. It sure appears like eels could be headed on the same path.

Nebe 10-23-2017 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DZ (Post 1130344)
The reason for my question is banning a baitfish from harvest is not unprecedented - consider the alewife. It sure appears like eels could be headed on the same path.

We all thought this would happen in 2003-2004. It was so serious then, it inspired me to start Surfhog Eel Co. Then nothing happened.
There was even a book written about the eel’s Plight “Consider the eel” ....
I think it will take a complete collapse to make changes happen. The sponge must be squeezed of every last drop ;$)

piemma 10-23-2017 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paradoxjim (Post 1130215)
Uncle Josh had some pretty nice "eels" that I have had success with. They are tougher than rubber for when those toothy critters are around.

Spot on Jim.

DZ 10-23-2017 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 1130346)
We all thought this would happen in 2003-2004. It was so serious then, it inspired me to start Surfhog Eel Co. Then nothing happened.
There was even a book written about the eel’s Plight “Consider the eel” ....
I think it will take a complete collapse to make changes happen. The sponge must be squeezed of every last drop ;$)

You may be right Eben. I anticipated some restrictions for us back then but they never materialized. But this is perhaps the third dire stock assessment? I'm thinking this time some restrictions may be coming to the recreational bait fishery.

ivanputski 10-23-2017 10:07 AM

Curious if restrictions go into place if being in possession of a rigged eel
would warrant a fine. I have had some dead/rigged eels go in and out of the freezer for 2-3 years! I fish dead eels until they literally disintegrate, and they continue to catch fish regardless of their appearance, as long as they stay on the hook. I have gotten quite good at making eels stay on the hook for a very long time.

MakoMike 10-23-2017 12:09 PM

For those that are so against the elver fishery, only one in about 10,000 elvers ever makes it to adulthood, so killing one POUND of elvers is like killing just ONE adult eel.

Nebe 10-23-2017 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakoMike (Post 1130351)
For those that are so against the elver fishery, only one in about 10,000 elvers ever makes it to adulthood, so killing one POUND of elvers is like killing just ONE adult eel.

What are you smoking ??

Gloucester2 10-23-2017 01:18 PM

^^ Now we have a thread ^^ :tooth:

Rockfish9 10-23-2017 01:58 PM

what ever happened to protecting the young of the species... They do it with every other species...how many cod fish do they think survive...how many herring...tuna....striped bass... etc.... once again... a fishery being managed for money and the benefit of the few and Not for the fish or the benefit of the many... so when elver 9,999 swims through the fyke net... another 10,000 have no shot at even being born...just because 1 ounce of glass eels are worth more than an ounce of gold......I cant bring myself to read this stupidity any longer..

DZ 10-23-2017 02:42 PM

From what I've read commercial and recreational restrictions have been instituted and currently in effect including a cap on elver harvest, 9 inch size limit on bait eels, and a 50 eel per person possession limit on bait eels. Does anyone purchase more than 50 eels? I would imagine some would. Maybe some charter boats? Maybe some commercial R&R guys?

If management history is any guide the cap on elver harvest could possibly be reduced even more and maybe the per person possession limit on bait eels reduced.

Nebe 10-23-2017 05:40 PM

let’s also not forget the incredible moral issue with buying a dozen eels to catch and release a few bass. The eels will all die.

bobber 10-23-2017 07:02 PM

and so the discussion goes.....

"whats next... no more hooks?"
"buying a dozen eels is like taking 20 thousand elvers"......

the hand full of guys who still cling to the elver licenses have a ticket to profit from an endangered public resource. its gotta stop.

Nebe 10-23-2017 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobber (Post 1130376)
and so the discussion goes.....

"whats next... no more hooks?"
"buying a dozen eels is like taking 20 thousand elvers"......

the hand full of guys who still cling to the elver licenses have a ticket to profit from an endangered public resource. its gotta stop.

It’s alot like the climate change debate We could all do our part to fight pollution and drive efficient cars, or we can get caught up in the climate change debate and the deniers will happily drive a huge rolling coal diesel redneck truck because “climate change is a hoax”. All the while polluting the crap out of the air.

Sea Dangles 10-23-2017 08:18 PM

If your vehicle is not battery powered, then your house is glass.
Pun intended🤥

Nebe 10-23-2017 08:45 PM

I’d rather be a hypocrite than an #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& ;)

piemma 10-24-2017 01:27 AM

Now this is getting good! Flame Wars :bgi:

Sea Dangles 10-24-2017 06:15 AM

No flame here Paulie
Nothing personal either
Just pointing out the difference between doing and saying.
He does have a blow boat so at least it's a start🤐
His profession alone is known to be bad for the environment,but hey,you have to make a buck somehow.