Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   DIY - Forum (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Sealcoating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=77343)

Slingah 04-30-2012 08:59 PM

Sealcoating

I need my driveway done. Is it better just to have a company do it? Is the stuff in the fivers any good? Any input appreciated.

BigFish 05-01-2012 04:53 AM

Its good stuff....do it yourself and save the money! Your driveway is not that big.....get her done in no time!

PRBuzz 05-01-2012 05:19 AM

The stuff in cans is good and not that hard to apply. You can put on a coat as thick or thin as you want and likely to last longer than the thin coat sprayed on by the comm guys.

Piscator 05-01-2012 07:57 AM

I need to get mine done too, I see some commercial guys do spray and others do squeegee. I'm trying to figure out cost to do myself or cost to pay someone. If it's not that much more, I might just pay someone and I'll go fish. I heard they buy the sealer in so much bulk it can be close in cost to hire vs doing it yourself (just what i heard though, not sure how true)

Raven 05-01-2012 10:32 AM

you can roll it on with a paint roller
on a extended pole .........easier

trevier 05-01-2012 12:27 PM

prep your driveway the day before, then do it with a squegee, go side to side, not front to back, the side to side thing will hide your lap marks better, I'm doing mine this year also, it's due, don't use a paint roller, my did his like that, it looks like #^&#^&#^&#^&e,

Piscator 05-01-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raven (Post 936306)
you can roll it on with a paint roller
on a extended pole .........easier

I typically wouldn't use my extended pole for this.......

Slingah 05-01-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piscator (Post 936265)
I need to get mine done too, I see some commercial guys do spray and others do squeegee. I'm trying to figure out cost to do myself or cost to pay someone. If it's not that much more, I might just pay someone and I'll go fish. I heard they buy the sealer in so much bulk it can be close in cost to hire vs doing it yourself (just what i heard though, not sure how true)

that's what I'm thinking.....I'm going to call T&K for a price then do the math....I would think they have a better product too...no?

Piscator 05-02-2012 08:15 AM

There is a groupon for 74% off sealcoating today that I just saw. Osgood Painting & Contracting. 2 car drive way up to 800 square feet for $99 ($350 dollar value) or 3 car driveway up to 1,000 square feet for $129 ($500 value).

Not sure if these guys are good or not but figured I'd pass it along.

Osgood Painting & Contracting Services, LLC Deal of the Day | Groupon Boston

Slingah 05-02-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piscator (Post 936521)
There is a groupon for 74% off sealcoating today that I just saw. Osgood Painting & Contracting. 2 car drive way up to 800 square feet for $99 ($350 dollar value) or 3 car driveway up to 1,000 square feet for $129 ($500 value).

Not sure if these guys are good or not but figured I'd pass it along.

Osgood Painting & Contracting Services, LLC Deal of the Day | Groupon Boston

Looks like it is for a 20 mile radius from Salem only. Good deal though.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Piscator 05-02-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slingah (Post 936524)
Looks like it is for a 20 mile radius from Salem only. Good deal though.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Ahhhh, the fine print. Sorry. T&K looks like they do a good job too. I need to do it this year too.

GregW 05-03-2012 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piscator (Post 936265)

Whether you do it yourself or have someone do it for you, I would not go with the spray on.

Piscator 05-03-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregW (Post 936669)
Whether you do it yourself or have someone do it for you, I would not go with the spray on.

Any reason why? Is the spray on not as thick? I thought I heard that one time. I've also heard that the spray goes on much more uniform (but maybe not as thick????)

GregW 05-04-2012 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piscator (Post 936949)
Any reason why? Is the spray on not as thick? I thought I heard that one time. I've also heard that the spray goes on much more uniform (but maybe not as thick????)

If you think about applying any liquid like that you are not going to get the same protection if you were to spread evenly with a squeegee (especially if they didn't do the prep very good).
As far as it being more uniform, that is only true if the pressure, speed, etc stays the same throughout the application and they spread it evenly. I think it would be very easy for them to have it heavier in one area and barely hit another area with mostly overspray.
If it was me I'd use a squeegee.