Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Muzik (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Steve Vai (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=60941)

tautog 12-12-2009 10:07 AM

Steve Vai

Anyone catch his special on Paladia on cable last night? He's always been way out there but man can he play. Saw him with RIRock several years ago at Lupo's and it's amazing how fast he is. Here are a few clips and of course one going back to Mr. Frank Zappa days.
YouTube - "Live In Minneapolis - Where The Wild Things Are" - Steve Vai
YouTube - Steve Vai / Firewall /
YouTube - Frank Zappa & Steve Vai NEW YORK '81

Brian L 12-12-2009 01:09 PM

I've seen Steve live three times and he's quite the performer. I think he goes way over the top with the guitar heroics, but that's what he does, so you gotta expect it when you see him live. I met him at Daddy's junky music in Warwick a few years ago. Got my old %$%$%$%$box Ibanex RG560 and his Ultra Zone CD signed by him and the band. Spoke with him about songwriting and where he gets his best ideas from for a minute or two and the dude is way out there..

ProfessorM 12-12-2009 07:06 PM

yup saw it. great show and great talent. Has hands and fingers like Connie Hawkins. Not fair.

great interview here.

YouTube - Steve Vai On His Audition for Frank Zappa's Band

ProfessorM 12-12-2009 07:10 PM

one more I could not resisthttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpf2IoJZhqI&feature=related

Brian L 12-13-2009 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProfessorM (Post 731016)
yup saw it. great show and great talent. Has hands and fingers like Connie Hawkins. Not fair.

I was at the Lupo's show, too. Same week I met him at Daddy's.

I couldn't believe it when I shook hands with him. I've got a big pair of mitts, but his hand completely covered mine.

spence 12-13-2009 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian L (Post 731069)
I couldn't believe it when I shook hands with him. I've got a big pair of mitts, but his hand completely covered mine.

I remember shaking hands with Victor Wooten and being surprised at how short and fat his fingers were.

Vai is a stud for sure, I know a freshman at Berkley studying guitar I should forward that to...

-spence

Brian L 12-13-2009 10:37 AM

Yes, the short fat fingers lend themselves to Bass playing for sure. Victor is amazing.

A good friend of mine is a Vai freak and has the exact version of the white Ibanez Jem guitar steve plays. It might be the best playing guitar I've ever laid my hands on.

His band is pretty smoking, too. It's looking like they might get signed to a major label pretty soon. All southeastern mass guys and here's a shot of them at Lupo's a few weeks ago:

YouTube - Theory 13 "Breathe In"

ProfessorM 12-13-2009 01:48 PM

glad they don't practice next to my house.:grins: Good to see local people doing good in their pursuit.

RIJIMMY 12-14-2009 06:16 AM

ahhh Vai, one of my all time faves. I left the movie theatre and was never the same....................... Jack Butler's gonna like you

YouTube - Steve Vai vs Ry Cooder (Crossroads Guitar Duel)

Rockport24 12-14-2009 05:06 PM

yeah I watched some of the palladia show, that guy is freakin' unreal!

only so much I can take of constant screeching guitar solos, but I still appreciate it for what it is, which is some smoking playin'

Awesome John 01-16-2010 06:49 PM

Lets throw a old fat overweight unknown Turkish surfcaster up here.. :)

YouTube - Awesome John / As?m Can Gündüz "WOW Performance" TRT Live

Zeal 01-16-2010 07:01 PM

"Fire Garden Suite" is and always will be my favorite Vai song ever. No fooling around or doing tricks on his part, just him plain old playing his ass off. As for being with Zappa, "Moggio" and "Alien Orifice" has always been great Vai guitar work. I can't remember if he did "Black Page" while being with Frank, I know he got into Frank's band by nailing "Sinister Footwear" perfectly (I don't think it was recorded).

Bernzy 01-18-2010 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Awesome John (Post 739641)
Lets throw a old fat overweight unknown Turkish surfcaster up here.. :)

YouTube - Awesome John / As?m Can Gündüz "WOW Performance" TRT Live

AJ,:wave:
Very nicely done. An Awesome display of your talents.
:claps::kewl::kewl::ss::soon:

Bernzy