Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Political Threads (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Palin? The race is over, all hail Pres Obama (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=51369)

RIJIMMY 08-29-2008 09:53 AM

Palin? The race is over, all hail Pres Obama

Who the heck is Palin? Can you imagine the debates between her and Biden?
Its all over for McCain.

Hooper 08-29-2008 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIJIMMY (Post 615738)
Its all over for McCain.

I don't know Jim, I think this is a very interesting pick. Doesn't make me want to NOT vote McCain, but I want to know more. It does however, take away the inexperience charge against Obama doesn't it? I think it's a pretty good pick.

Hillary must be cheering, broke that glass celing, eh Hil? Just not how you thought it would happen right?:rotf2:

RIJIMMY 08-29-2008 10:10 AM

I just read that she fishes!
You are right, its wait and see since we know so little of her. I think that the VPs for both parties are a very good balance to the candidates.

Hooper 08-29-2008 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIJIMMY (Post 615741)
I just read that she fishes!
You are right, its wait and see since we know so little of her. I think that the VPs for both parties are a very good balance to the candidates.

I have read in National Fisherman that she is very well liked up there, a strong supporter of the fisheries, both commercial and rec alike. That's a plus for those of us on this site. We shall see....

JohnR 08-29-2008 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hooper (Post 615747)
I have read in National Fisherman that she is very well liked up there, a strong supporter of the fisheries, both commercial and rec alike. That's a plus for those of us on this site. We shall see....

Yep - Cute too :hihi:

A few people have been calling for this a little while now - Hi Phib :wavey:

RIJIMMY 08-29-2008 11:13 AM

Its a little funny, and expected that the Obama campaign is syaing that experieicne os off teh table, but noone suggested Iraq is off the table , or the "same old government" is off the table with Biden. He was a supporter of the invasion and a 30+ year politician

Mike P 08-29-2008 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIJIMMY (Post 615738)
Its all over for McCain.

I can imagine--I'll bet you she chews that old retread up and spits him out. :humpty:

She's hauled crap traps for a living, and her nickname when she played basketball was "The Barracuda".

RIJIMMY 08-29-2008 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike P (Post 615771)
I can imagine--I'll bet you she chews that old retread up and spits him out. :humpty:

She's hauled crap traps for a living, and her nickname when she played basketball was "The Barracuda".

cool, now Im getting excited

Redsoxticket 08-29-2008 11:50 AM

This may lead to a "cat fight" in 2012.

Bronko 08-29-2008 12:23 PM

Total cougar. Hot.

Bronko 08-29-2008 12:25 PM

http://livingalaska.files.wordpress....rah_palin2.jpg

decksweeper 08-29-2008 12:31 PM

Her hubby was a comm fisherman....I can't say that I like McCain, but I like McCain a lot more with her...

striperman36 08-29-2008 12:43 PM

How the hell is she going to help McCain, who can't even spell domestic policy, get this country turned around?
Maybe you give her foreign policy as she lives outside of the lower 48.

This almost smells like a concession on McCain's part, like when Ferraro was VP, Mondale lost to Reagan in the worst landslide since 1972.

I will be very interested in hearing her speak, I just don't know what the Republicans are thinking about this one? The mayor of Wasalla, Alaska comes to Washington.

Mr. Sandman 08-29-2008 12:54 PM

Guns, fishing rods, wilderness women...big family, kick ass and take name kind of babe, she is smart, conservative, gets %$%$%$%$ done, has done a lot for Alaska...and she is hot too.. I like her, much more likeable than hillary.:)

She will appeal to many people on both sides.:uhuh:

More executive experience than both Obama + Binen combined (they are just legislators)

I have to hand it to the McCain Campain for the execution of this. Both in the timing and keeping a lid on it until today. This has dwarfed the "big speech" that obama made, you don't even hear about it. You know that was suppose to take over the media for the weekend... The Republican machinery is back in gear...getouttheway.

Sara will appeal to Americans.

striperman36 08-29-2008 12:58 PM

experience in Wash doesn't count

Abe Lincoln - 2 years House of reps.
Ulysses S. Grant – no political experience
Rutherford B. Hayes - 5 years as Gov.
Chester A. Arthur – no political experience
Grover Cleveland – 2 years as Gov. of NY
William McKinley – 4 as Gov of NY
Theodore Roosevelt -1 year as Gov of NY
William Howard Taft – total of 3 years in elected positions in Cuba and the Philippians
Woodrow Wilson – 2 years as Gov. of NJ
Franklin D. Roosevelt- 3 years as Gov. of NY
Harry S. Truman – 1 year as VP
How much National and international experience did
Ronald Regan Get in his 8 years as Gov of Ca.?
George H. W. Bush – 1 director of CIA
George W. Bush – 5 years as Gov of TX

fishsmith 08-29-2008 01:01 PM

Sarah Palin had a child with down syndomre in april '08. How much love and care can she provide as VP?

Her political resume is short, McCain is 72 and I don't think she has anymore experience than Obama.

My vote is with McCain but I don't like this VP choice, no matter how easy she is on the eyes.

Looks like Obama in 08.

RIJIMMY 08-29-2008 01:04 PM

thats a very interesting list Bill. That should be shared by the candidates

I think she may hurt McCain becuase of his age and her lack of experience. People are going to be asking, if he dies, how would she be as president. I think its a bigger leap for most to see her rather than Obama. The more I think about this, the more I think McCain is all done. We'll see, I too have not heard her speak. She may have the personality to turn it around.

striperman36 08-29-2008 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIJIMMY (Post 615804)
thats a very interesting list Bill. That should be shared by the candidates

I think she may hurt McCain becuase of his age and her lack of experience. People are going to be asking, if he dies, how would she be as president. I think its a bigger leap for most to see her rather than Obama. The more I think about this, the more I think McCain is all done. We'll see, I too have not heard her speak. She may have the personality to turn it around.

Stick a fork in the Republicans, like I said earlier, Mondale/Ferraro

Joe 08-29-2008 01:08 PM

http://wonkette.com/assets/resources...h_palin_ap.jpg
Damn....I'd like to go stumping with her.

Hooper 08-29-2008 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishsmith (Post 615802)
Sarah Palin had a child with down syndomre in april '08. How much love and care can she provide as VP?

Her political resume is short, McCain is 72 and I don't think she has anymore experience than Obama.

My vote is with McCain but I don't like this VP choice, no matter how easy she is on the eyes.

Looks like Obama in 08.

My gues is she must have a lot on the ball, consider this. How easy would it be for a female to be elected in a state like Alaska??? Oilmen, fisherman, hunters, trappers,...... not exactly your soft and fuzzy type crowd. I would see her being elected in California much more quickly than Alaska. My guess is she will win a lot of people over.

It's funny now to watch the Obama camp talk about her lack of experience. I think I've had enough of his crap already.

Nebe 08-29-2008 01:33 PM

Desperate people make desperate decisions.

spence 08-29-2008 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by striperman36 (Post 615792)
How the hell is she going to help McCain, who can't even spell domestic policy, get this country turned around?

I'd have to agree.

I'm sure her good looks and NRA membership will go a long way towards solving the looming energy crisis.

-spence

Joe 08-29-2008 01:56 PM

I feel warmer already.

LT. DAN 2 08-29-2008 02:03 PM

She's brilliant with working numbers which gets my vote. She may make a few enemies among her own party who have depended on PORK BELLY spending to get re-elected all these years to remain in their seats.
She will be McCain's "pit bull" and the republicans will balance the budget within his 8 years as President.

The DEMS are worried and have already started the search for any negatives but I think she is "Squeeky Clean". (other than a few left over scales from the fish she and her husband caught as commercial fishers). She'll win over the Christian coallition that thought Joe Biden ( an alledged catholic) until he stated that he would not oppose ROE VS WADE.

spence 08-29-2008 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT. DAN 2 (Post 615832)
She will be McCain's "pit bull" and the republicans will balance the budget within his 8 years as President.

McCain will be a single term president, he's too old.

And while I'm sure she will be put on the attack, she'd going to have to find some credibility somewhere to make any of it stick.

I completely disagree with Mike P. above on the debates. Biden is a good speaker with a library of anecdotes and analysis he can bring to bear.

She has a good life story for sure, but at the end of the day she'll just be spinning rehearsed talking points.

-spence

Swimmer 08-29-2008 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishsmith (Post 615802)

Looks like Obama in 08.

You're not voting for her, your voting for him..........

Swimmer 08-29-2008 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by striperman36 (Post 615799)
experience in Wash doesn't count

Abe Lincoln - 2 years House of reps.
Ulysses S. Grant – no political experience
Rutherford B. Hayes - 5 years as Gov.
Chester A. Arthur – no political experience
Grover Cleveland – 2 years as Gov. of NY
William McKinley – 4 as Gov of NY
Theodore Roosevelt -1 year as Gov of NY
William Howard Taft – total of 3 years in elected positions in Cuba and the Philippians
Woodrow Wilson – 2 years as Gov. of NJ
Franklin D. Roosevelt- 3 years as Gov. of NY
Harry S. Truman – 1 year as VP
How much National and international experience did
Ronald Regan Get in his 8 years as Gov of Ca.?
George H. W. Bush – 1 director of CIA
George W. Bush – 5 years as Gov of TX

Bush the 41st as C.I.A. director probably did more than most presidents ever do to influence foreign policy.:rocketem:

mekcotuit 08-29-2008 02:44 PM

All we have heard from John McCain for months is, Barack Obama is too young. Barack Obama is too inexperienced to be commander-in-chief. Who do you want answering the phone in the White House at three a.m.? Blah, blah, blah.
Doesn't McCain undercut his own message by naming someone even younger and more inexperienced than Obama to be his running mate?

My own opinion is that for a man who is 72 years old and has had four bouts with cancer to have chosen someone so completely unqualified to be as they say "a heartbeat away from the presidency" is irresponsible.

Nebe 08-29-2008 02:55 PM

agian.. desperate people make desperate decisions.

justplugit 08-29-2008 02:56 PM

Actually as VP, she has more experience governing than Obama has as P canidate.