Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   StriperTalk! (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Canal Closed to Com Fishing?? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=96561)

JohnR 06-03-2020 02:12 PM

Canal Closed to Com Fishing??

1 Attachment(s)
Slammed busy but I see people posting this? Legit?

t.orlando 06-03-2020 02:36 PM

Yup.. easier for DMF to do that than have EPO and Bourne PD just do there jobs. Same stuff being lumped on Comms is gonna keep going on like it always did. Next stop, full closure.

Got Stripers 06-03-2020 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t.orlando (Post 1194397)
Yup.. easier for DMF to do that than have EPO and Bourne PD just do there jobs. Same stuff being lumped on Comms is gonna keep going on like it always did. Next stop, full closure.

Wouldn’t bother me, I don’t go near the #^&#^&#^&#^& show.

Nebe 06-03-2020 03:37 PM

Close it all down
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

piemma 06-04-2020 06:46 AM

This won't stop the wholesale slaughter by those that don't know any better. The problem is not the comms.

The problem is what fishing has become. A way to show what a "Warrior" you are for killing a breeder and posting on FB and then immediately throwing the fish in a dumpster because you don't even know how to filet a fish.

chris L 06-10-2020 07:40 AM

I wish there was something that can be done with the way people fish and think . It is sad to see the way people treat fish , like they will be around for ever . Send them back after a picture then they can be recaught maybe even by you the following year or another day . I like to look at the fish I get as pets . If I treat them right they will want to play over and over . I may keep 1 fish a year to eat and it usually wouldnt survive the release anyway . Picturess I have plenty and they are for me to look at and to identify and compare my pets when caught .

MAKAI 06-10-2020 09:16 AM

Comms aren’t the problem.
It’s the post apocalypse circus freak show that the internet spawned.
It’s a whole different wretched crew that infects the canal now.

chris L 06-10-2020 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAKAI (Post 1194934)

exactly !!!!

ivanputski 06-10-2020 09:36 AM

Should have closed it to recreational as well... Many of these fish have no chance after the way they are released.

Got Stripers 06-10-2020 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piemma (Post 1194610)
This won't stop the wholesale slaughter by those that don't know any better. The problem is not the comms.

The problem is what fishing has become. A way to show what a "Warrior" you are for killing a breeder and posting on FB and then immediately throwing the fish in a dumpster because you don't even know how to filet a fish.

^^^^^^^^^

chris L 06-10-2020 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAKAI (Post 1194934)

Add cell phones to the madness

Slipknot 06-11-2020 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piemma (Post 1194610)

Of course but that is not the reason for the ban.
It is about the ability to enforce the regulations which differ between rec and comm fish in the relatively small shore area of the canal. Government sometimes is overwhelmed and gets lazy or are spread out too thin for some who criticize but remember that enforcement cost money, the money to pay for it has to come from someplace. I suppose if they would stop wasting the tax dollars and fees then there would be more but that is another conversation.

ivanputski 06-11-2020 10:11 AM

based on the high level of poaching, disregard for regulations, fights, trash, etc
that occurs along the canal during peak fishing months, I think it would make sense to have a designated EPO that works up and down the canal around the clock. No funding for it? the revenue generated alone from the violations would cover the salary 3x over......

Slipknot 06-11-2020 10:21 AM

I agree, it's too bad there was no public meeting where that could have been suggested.

common sense should be enough to realize that but we are talking about a government department.

good thing the s hit show kind of went away with the fish, but if they show up it will be a zoo I'm sure

wdmso 06-11-2020 03:10 PM

we all know the comm guys pushed it fishing the canal with their boat permits .. the past several years .. lets focus on that.. that is a comm problem ... then we can move on to the other issues such as lack of enforcement on the canal :kewl: trophy fishing or hunting isn't a new concept catch and release is coming of age and needs to be re enforced .. I take plenty of fish Pictures and back they go as quickly as I can .. I have no issues with thoses who keep what they eat ..their kill or catch ... and you'll aways get those who kill for the rack or keep the big fish to show off around town then in the trash is goes , or those who think they have the right to take what they want. and see restrictions as government overreach.. I do whats right in the hope others may do the same ..that is the limit of my power to change others ..

ivanputski 06-11-2020 03:49 PM

I visited the canal only 2x in my life (my friend dragged me there, I didn't want to go..). upon my arrival, not only was my pre-conceived view of the place correct, it went beyond. I caught so many large fish with so little effort or knowledge, that I honestly didn't feel much excitement about hooking a fish by the end of my visit ( it was about as rewarding as hooking a stocked trout at a rod and gun club pond in April ). Granted, I know its not always on fire, but my second visit I went on a very "slow' night, and still jigged up multiple large fish very easily.
Where am I going with this? Personally speaking, I classify catching fish differently based on how and where I catch them... a 40 at the canal does not feel the same to me as a 40 I worked hard for in a boulder field at 3 am. and with that said, the canal "format" just isn't for me... and that is BEFORE we even start talking about the crowds and fights.
So why do I care so much about what happens at a spot I don't fish?
because so many of the fish we all look for are caught and killed there so easily... thus thinning the stock at a rapid rate.
What's the worst that would happen if the canal was shut down to recs too?
people would have to work harder to learn and sharpen their skills?
Disclaimer: this is MY opinion... based on my experiences and personal outlook. you like the canal? fine... keep going there. You think its a challenge? fine... no problem.

It's just not my preferred "format', and really does nothing for me.

t.orlando 06-13-2020 03:27 PM

The 1 morning it was decent...lol...Asians were seen running oversized fish out at multiple locations

Guppy 06-13-2020 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t.orlando (Post 1195175)
The 1 morning it was decent...lol...Asians were seen running oversized fish out at multiple locations

Takes the fun out of fishin.......

l.i.fish.in.vt 06-13-2020 06:01 PM

i am sure they all had com. license as we know thats it com's that are ruining the canal

wdmso 06-20-2020 07:52 AM

Spoke to an EP who happens to question my Boats RI registration.. the 1st time I see him ,,that's another story.... so I ask him if their going to step up enforcement in the canal,, like send him ... he say current EPs for the entire state is 80! He said 130 is what they should have

Add in vacations sick days and days off you'll be lucky to have 50 on duty any given day state wide

Mike P 07-03-2020 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivanputski (Post 1194994)
based on the high level of poaching, disregard for regulations, fights, trash, etc
that occurs along the canal during peak fishing months, I think it would make sense to have a designated EPO that works up and down the canal around the clock. No funding for it? the revenue generated alone from the violations would cover the salary 3x over......

The revenue from fines imposed for violations goes into the general fund, as I understand it.

Headhunter 07-04-2020 05:39 PM

Close the canal, The Race and SW Ledge to all striper fishing, period!! And I might add anything inland of the mouth of the Chesapeake and the Hudson

RickBomba 07-06-2020 04:41 PM

The canal should be closed to all fish over 35 inches.

Then it would be fine for everybody....comm poachers, gangster rappers, and loudmouths in general.

Shut that #^&#^&#^&#^& off!

piemma 07-07-2020 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Headhunter (Post 1196170)
Close the canal, The Race and SW Ledge to all striper fishing, period!! And I might add anything inland of the mouth of the Chesapeake and the Hudson

EXACTLY!!!!!!

RickBomba 07-08-2020 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Headhunter (Post 1196170)

You mean the Race, or Race Point.

TTYTT,
Not many stripers left in either spot at this point. I remember both of them being world-class in different decades. Ain’t like that anymore.

Guppy 07-08-2020 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickBomba (Post 1196306)
The canal should be closed to all fish over 35 inches.

Then it would be fine for everybody....comm poachers, gangster rappers, and loudmouths in general.

Shut that #^&#^&#^&#^& off!

It is, aint it?

Sorry missed your call,,,, I think! LOL

piemma 07-09-2020 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickBomba (Post 1196491)
You mean the Race, or Race Point.

TTYTT,
Not many stripers left in either spot at this point. I remember both of them being world-class in different decades. Ain’t like that anymore.

Ricky, Bob is talking about a different Race I think. There's an area between Napatree and Fishers Island called the Race and a lot of giant fish come out of there.

PaulS 07-09-2020 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piemma (Post 1196544)
There's an area between Napatree and Fishers Island called the Race and a lot of giant fish come out of there.

There used to be a lot of giant fish that come out of there.

hq2 07-10-2020 11:38 AM

They busted some poachers at the canal yesterday. Check it on cape cod.com

RickBomba 07-14-2020 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piemma (Post 1196544)
Ricky, Bob is talking about a different Race I think. There's an area between Napatree and Fishers Island called the Race and a lot of giant fish come out of there.

I grew up fishing the Race, Paulie. For us Western Mass guys, it was the closest, best fishing in the 70’s.

Me and #^&#^&#^&#^&y still have a spot on the south side of Fishers that’s way more consistent.