Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Movies, Classics to Less than Normal (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Swedish - The Girl w/the Dragon Tatoo and The Girl who played with fire (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=67092)

RIJIMMY 11-01-2010 09:05 AM

Swedish - The Girl w/the Dragon Tatoo and The Girl who played with fire

I know everyone is reading these books right now. I happened on the Swedish movie versions on DVD. The first 2 of the trilogy. I believe an American version of the movie, the girl w/the dragon tatoo is slated to come out soon.
The Swedish movies are FANTASTIC. Suspenseful, cant leave your seat type of flicks. There is some graphic rape scenes that my wife had to leave the room for. Probabaly the best movies I have seen in the last few years, no question. I cant wait for the 3rd flick.

both flicks are available as instant streaming from Netflix. HIGHLY RECCOMENDED MOVIES !!!

FishermanTim 11-01-2010 12:46 PM

There was a Jeopardy question that covered the first movie "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo".
The author wrote that story and based it on "Heidi" as an adult.

JohnnyD 11-01-2010 01:35 PM

What books?

RIJIMMY 11-01-2010 01:49 PM

there is a trilogy of books, international bestsellers. You cant go 3 seats on the train to Boston without seeing someone reading these. Reminds me of Harry Potter.
the girl with the dragon tatoo
the girl who played with fire
the girl who kicked the hornets nest

i didnt read the books, but you should SEE THE MOVIES !!

RIJIMMY 11-01-2010 01:53 PM

The Millennium Trilogy is a series of three bestselling novels written by the late Stieg Larsson. The novels in the series, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest, were first published in 2005, 2006 and 2007 respectively.

Larsson, who was disgusted by sexual violence, witnessed the gang rape of a young girl when he was 15. The author never forgave himself for failing to help the girl, whose name was Lisbeth - like the young heroine of his books, herself a rape victim, which inspired the theme of sexual violence against women in his books.[1]

The primary characters in the series are Lisbeth Salander and Mikael Blomkvist. Lisbeth is an intelligent, eccentric woman in her twenties with a photographic memory whose social skills are rather poor. Blomkvist is an investigative journalist, a celebrity in his own right, and has a history not totally dissimilar to Larsson's own.

Larsson wrote about three-quarters of a fourth novel before his sudden death in November 2004. His partner, Eva Gabrielsson, possesses the notebook computer with the manuscript; outlines or manuscripts for one or two more books may exist.[2][3]

JohnnyD 11-01-2010 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIJIMMY (Post 806990)
there is a trilogy of books, international bestsellers. You cant go 3 seats on the train to Boston without seeing someone reading these. Reminds me of Harry Potter.
the girl with the dragon tatoo
the girl who played with fire
the girl who kicked the hornets nest

i didnt read the books, but you should SEE THE MOVIES !!

hmmm... Had not heard of them. I've been living under a rock for the last few weeks with only work, fishing, this election and when time permits the Pats on my mind.

PRBuzz 11-01-2010 05:02 PM

Watched the trailer for the "dragon tattoo", looks interesting. Apparently the 1st 2 movies are available on Comcast On Demand, have to check them out.

PRBuzz 11-04-2010 08:50 PM

Just watched the 1st one, it is really good. Reading the English subtitles didn't distract from the movie at all. If you have a big screen TV you don't even need your reading glasses.

striperman36 11-04-2010 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIJIMMY (Post 806903)
I know everyone is reading these books right now. I happened on the Swedish movie versions on DVD. The first 2 of the trilogy. I believe an American version of the movie, the girl w/the dragon tatoo is slated to come out soon.
The Swedish movies are FANTASTIC. Suspenseful, cant leave your seat type of flicks. There is some graphic rape scenes that my wife had to leave the room for. Probabaly the best movies I have seen in the last few years, no question. I cant wait for the 3rd flick.

both flicks are available as instant streaming from Netflix. HIGHLY RECCOMENDED MOVIES !!!

Great flicks.

Just finished - Red Cliff one of the best Chinese Samuri flicks

RIJIMMY 11-05-2010 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRBuzz (Post 808026)
Just watched the 1st one, it is really good. Reading the English subtitles didn't distract from the movie at all. If you have a big screen TV you don't even need your reading glasses.

awesome! Im glad you liked it!

eastendlu 11-05-2010 12:03 PM

Saw this movie last April and it does keep you on your seat. Very well made.I did not know until this post that its part of a trilogy now i will look up the other two. Thanks!!

Chunkah 12-05-2010 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by striperman36 (Post 808041)
Great flicks.

Just finished - Red Cliff one of the best Chinese Samuri flicks

Which version of Red Cliff? There is a 2 part international version and a theatrical version....Thanks!

striperman36 12-05-2010 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunkah (Post 815926)
Which version of Red Cliff? There is a 2 part international version and a theatrical version....Thanks!

it is on Streaming Netflix think it is the latter

Chunkah 12-05-2010 01:25 PM

:thanks:

mosholu 12-05-2010 05:49 PM

This is a rare occasion where the films are as good as the books. I totally enjoyed them and would recommend getting the subtitled version rather than the English dubbed version.
Rent them together and watch them back to back because the story has a flow to it.
It makes you wonder why they are doing an English version unless they feel there is so much money to make because the books are so popular.

rwilhelm 12-19-2010 02:00 PM

Watched Girl Who Played with Fire last night. I thought it was excellent. That is one tough chick! When is the 3rd one due out on dvd?

RIJIMMY 12-21-2010 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwilhelm (Post 819697)
Watched Girl Who Played with Fire last night. I thought it was excellent. That is one tough chick! When is the 3rd one due out on dvd?

end of january I think

mosholu 01-19-2011 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIJIMMY (Post 820155)
end of january I think

I saw on Amazon it is going to be released on Jan 25, 2011. Can't wait.

RIJIMMY 01-19-2011 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosholu (Post 828860)

for those with Netflix streaming, its available on that date too

RIJIMMY 01-26-2011 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosholu (Post 828860)

watched it last night (netflix streaming)
Good flick, not as intense as the previous ones but still very good.
Kind of intersting ending, but made sense based on the characters.

To my original post, anyone who like crime, suspense, thrillers, revenge flicks these films are top notch, edge of your seat films. cant reccomend them enough

basswipe 01-27-2011 07:37 AM

Got about 20 minutes into it last weekend.Brought it back to the store and I got my rental fee back.Watched Machete and The Town instead.

RIJIMMY 01-27-2011 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basswipe (Post 831380)
Got about 20 minutes into it last weekend.Brought it back to the store and I got my rental fee back.Watched Machete and The Town instead.

wow, how come, what didnt you like?

PRBuzz 01-27-2011 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIJIMMY (Post 831400)
wow, how come, what didnt you like?

Reading subtitles?

I thought the 1st 2 were very good, waiting to watch the 3rd one.

PRBuzz 01-28-2011 06:51 AM

Watched "Hornet's Nest" last night (Amazon streaming, English dubbed). Fitting conclusion to the 3 part series but definitely the slowest of the 3. I guess what can you expect when you have lawyers involved..:)

There are so few places where they focus in the on lips while speaking, hard to notice the English dubs. Finally got a complete movie streamed from Amazon without any breaks/re-loading...was it an off movie night or not many watching this movie?

BrianS 01-30-2011 09:33 AM

I havent read the books, but my wife has.... We watched the first movie awhile back and I enjoyed it but my wife said they left ALOT out...

Gonna watch the second one soon