Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   StriperTalk! (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Fishing superstitions (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=93714)

chefchris401 05-14-2018 05:01 PM

Fishing superstitions

So I’m sure we all have some we believe in more than others.

Well happy to report I broke 3 on Saturday.

Left my house around 4am, about 1/2 mile from the house a huge skunk crosses the street in front of the truck.

Thought about going home right then and there as I hadn’t even made it to the main road. Said screw it as I know the bites been hot.

Pull into the lot about 20 minutes later and there’s another skunk walking thru the lot.

So I just shake my head and seriously doubting getting geared up.

Get ready, walk out to the spot, can see fish chasing bait, great sign. I toss my herring donny across the mouth of the river and it gets hammered 20 feet from sure, fat 34” fish, but a fish on the first cast.

Now I’m like this day is doomed.

Fish still breaking all around, can’t hook up, change plugs throw everything, nada.

About 15 minutes later the most epic sunrise starts to happen, figure I might as well take some nice pics seeing this is the nail in the coffin for the day.

Decide to wait for the tide to slack out and turn.

Then it turned on, herring being blown up all over, stripers rolling in 2’ of water.

Left 3 hours later, 22 fish for the day, smallest was 32”, biggest was 38”, all super fat and aggressive, best part was they hitting at the end of the cast, so lots of great fights.

Got a 14 on a K4 Lures 3oz glider, they were all over it.

So far the best day of the season and glad to say I broke 3 big fishing superstitions on Saturday!

Sea Dangles 05-14-2018 05:29 PM

Sounds great Chris
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

nightfighter 05-14-2018 07:52 PM

Great to know they are that close to getting up this way.... Great report Chris. May have to get the cover off R2D2 this week....

I more often than not pack a banana for myself when I head out for the morning on my boat alone.... and smile... Still think it is a bunch of BS but wont bring one on another's boat. Seems to be a hang up for many.

Slipknot 05-14-2018 09:12 PM

Most Excellent Chris :kewl:

wdmso 05-15-2018 03:52 AM

nice good way to start the Season

Rappin Mikey 05-15-2018 05:49 AM

Nice. I have a bunch of superstitions. I wear the same clothes after I catch my first river fish every time I go. I hit my knees and do a quick Hail Mary before I start. I don't eat anything banana (even candies). Oh and I stay bald too just in case.

piemma 05-15-2018 02:13 PM

A long time ago, I caught a 38# bass. That night I had opened and closed the passenger door on the truck a couple of time for no reason. I always do that now before I fish. I know....weird!

JohnR 05-15-2018 02:24 PM

I find singing to the fish works well and breaks up a dull day :bl:

Ask TattooBob and ThrowingTimber :laughs:

spence 05-15-2018 02:26 PM

I don't have any but I know RIROCKHOUND thinks dropping other people's fish in the wash brings good luck and fortune.

JohnR 05-15-2018 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1142691)
I don't have any but I know RIROCKHOUND thinks dropping other people's fish in the wash brings good luck and fortune.

Hahaha

piemma 05-16-2018 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1142691)

Absolutely true. Day after Thanksgiving SW Point BI.

Rockfish9 05-16-2018 08:32 AM

Nice job Chris!.... Ross...I wont even eat a banana if I'm going ice fishing.. tested the theory one... slipped and tore my MCL.. never again!

RickBomba 05-16-2018 10:49 AM

Sweet Chris. Skunks always tend to bring me good luck. My luck sucks though. I have no idea why people even like to fish with me, to tell you the truth.

Some things that bring me luck:
1. No bananas. I don't even think about them. They are the devil.
2. Earrings, they fix everything. I have three kinds of gold in my ears just to be safe.
3. Tattoos will save you from drowning. I try to get them whenever possible.
4. Space Jam = Good Luck

ivanputski 05-16-2018 11:09 AM

bad luck for me: Sushi Buffet x large iced coffee before
swimming out in a wetsuit...

Rockfish9 05-16-2018 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickBomba (Post 1142735)
Sweet Chris. Skunks always tend to bring me good luck. My luck sucks though. I have no idea why people even like to fish with me, to tell you the truth.

Some things that bring me luck:
1. No bananas. I don't even think about them. They are the devil.
2. Earrings, they fix everything. I have three kinds of gold in my ears just to be safe.
3. Tattoos will save you from drowning. I try to get them whenever possible.
4. Space Jam = Good Luck

agree about the skunk being good luck.. I always seem have a good night when Striped wood kitty perfume fills the marsh air.

RIROCKHOUND 05-16-2018 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piemma (Post 1142712)
Absolutely true. Day after Thanksgiving SW Point BI.

I thought Block Island Jeff caught so many fish he would not care about a low 30" fish. Boy was I wrong
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Jenn 05-16-2018 09:51 PM

oh god! I know its sounds crazy but my superstition is you have to eat fish to catch fish! It actually started with a canadian friend of mine but it always seems true...if we had a fish meal ...previously caught or,,,,, shamefully bought....we seemed to catch fish that night! Honestly it proved true more times than not!

MakoMike 05-17-2018 04:03 PM

I never really believed the banana thing until one day we were tuna fishing and it was zero action. The it came to light that the guest aboard had brought bananas. After lots of laughs he through them overboard, and before they were out of sight in the wake, we hooked four tuna and went on to have a good day.

rphud 05-18-2018 07:36 AM

first cast fish is hardest one to break

Pete F. 05-18-2018 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rphud (Post 1142869)
first cast fish is hardest one to break

I ruined the fishing at Charlestown with that one once. Twenty pound fish and killed the bite.