Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Skunks (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=13010)

Squid kids Dad 02-21-2004 01:28 AM

Skunks

Anyone have a good way to get rid of a skunk that I believe is living under my shed that it is in my backyard...I think it has been there for a couple of years,,I just got a dog and tonight they had a face off..Dog didnt get sprayed thankfully..But only a matter of time..Please help...:confused:

nor-easter 02-21-2004 01:56 AM

Get a "Havaheart trap, set it out near the shed, cover it with a heavy old blanket or tarp. Just leave the open end in the clear.
Check the next morning. If the Skunk is in the trap, approach from the tarp end and gently cover the whole trap.
Now you can get some help and pick up the trap with the tarp over it and the skunk inside. Place it into a truck.
The Skunk will not pee when in the trap. He isn't stupid!
Drive to your neighbors yard....no you better not. Drive away away some place and set the trap out on the ground. Uncover just enough of the trap to get the door open. Run like hell to a safe distance. The Skunk will exit and usually go into the closest wooded area.
You then can go back and get the trap and the tarp.
I had one trapped and a guy told me about running the exhaust hose from the car under the tarp to kill the skunk. Works great except that the skunks muscles relax when he dies and his stink pee comes out!
I got rid of about 15 Skunks in Vermont by taking them away in the trap with the tarp over it. Never got peed at once!:cool:

MAC 02-21-2004 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by nor-easter

The Skunk will not pee when in the trap. He isn't stupid!
Drive to your neighbors yard....no you better not.

:laughs: :laughs: I like it. We have one visiting now. I guess it is their mating season now. they do their thing then they go back into hibernation. The only problem we have is when the dog finds it first. :eek:

beachwalker 02-21-2004 08:55 AM

One of da' good tigs 'bout livin' in dis hood.

none of da' skunkle skizzles

Katie 02-21-2004 11:47 AM

get a trap and bait it with dry dog food and make sure its one where it can walk in and then the door will shut. then if you get it. heres the real fun.. you get too shoot it. lol.. we have skunk experience.:laughs:

Goose 02-21-2004 02:33 PM

Wanna know about skunks...talk to a breeder. Mikecc:laughs:

missing link 02-21-2004 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Goose
Wanna know about skunks...talk to a breeder. Mikecc:laughs:

yup - hes got a mean skunk under the shop:smash:

Mike P 02-21-2004 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by beachwalker
One of da' good tigs 'bout livin' in dis hood.

none of da' skunkle skizzles

Believe it or not---there ain't none on Lawn Guyland, either.

nor-easter 02-27-2004 12:46 AM

Check in "The Gutter" for a posting titled "SKUNKS".
I thought it to be a really funny follow up to this thread.
Hope you get a chuckle out of it!

likwid 02-27-2004 09:32 AM

and wear heavy leather gloves, yes they bite.