Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Boat Fishing & Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Mechanic (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=92310)

Duke41 05-20-2017 11:50 AM

Mechanic

I have a blown head gasket on my Cat 3116. Need a mechanic that I can trust. Boat is located in newport

Nebe 05-20-2017 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke41 (Post 1122328)
I have a blown head gasket on my Cat 3116. Need a mechanic that I can trust. Boat is located in newport

Mark Preston is who I would recommend. He was hinckley's head mechanic for years and is now on his own. If you want his number I can pm it to you.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

MakoMike 05-21-2017 07:42 AM

Johnathan Mendes at Full Keel Marine in Wickford. He and his crew will travel to Newport.

piemma 05-21-2017 11:34 AM

Ryan Jorge. Was the mechanic at Woods marine in Warwick for years now a mobile boat guy. Did a ton of work for me last fall. He is certified on Yami, Evinrude, Merc and a diesel guru. I know he does a lot of work in Newport and the last time I spoke to him he was doing a big engine job in Westport.

If you want his number PM me.

tautog 05-22-2017 08:43 AM

I'm in Newport and have a pair of 3116T Cats in my boat. There are a number of good independent mechanics in the area but most of them don't have the "special" cat tools for setting the injectors etc. That is one of the drawbacks to Cat is they require their tools for some issues.
Last year I used Winward Power out of Fairhaven for a tune up and didn't have any issues with them.
Fairhaven Marine is also very good and has done work for me but hard to get.
RI Engine in Pt Judith works on Cats also but once again usually a long wait.
Good Luck

George,
Valhalla Rising

MakoMike 05-22-2017 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tautog (Post 1122381)
I'm in Newport and have a pair of 3116T Cats in my boat. There are a number of good independent mechanics in the area but most of them don't have the "special" cat tools for setting the injectors etc. That is one of the drawbacks to Cat is they require their tools for some issues.
Last year I used Winward Power out of Fairhaven for a tune up and didn't have any issues with them.
Fairhaven Marine is also very good and has done work for me but hard to get.
RI Engine in Pt Judith works on Cats also but once again usually a long wait.
Good Luck

George,
Valhalla Rising

You could die of old age waiting for RI engine to work on a "sport" boat.

bassballer 05-22-2017 05:18 PM

I might be asking for a couple of those PMs ifthis yanmar guy doesnt come by the end of the week.

piemma 05-23-2017 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bassballer (Post 1122418)
I might be asking for a couple of those PMs ifthis yanmar guy doesnt come by the end of the week.

Jay, Ryan will be at my boat Thursday. I have a low idle issue on my Yami which he will diagnose with the Yami tools he has on his laptop. Let me know. He's Yami certified.

bassballer 05-23-2017 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piemma (Post 1122443)
Jay, Ryan will be at my boat Thursday. I have a low idle issue on my Yami which he will diagnose with the Yami tools he has on his laptop. Let me know. He's Yami certified.

Thanks Paul. i have a diesel though. Yanmar 6LP-STP. Does he work on Yanmars?

Nebe 05-23-2017 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bassballer (Post 1122468)
Thanks Paul. i have a diesel though. Yanmar 6LP-STP. Does he work on Yanmars?

I'm sure you know this but Oldport Marine is a super duper Yanmar dealer/mechanic

piemma 05-27-2017 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 1122499)
I'm sure you know this but Oldport Marine is a super duper Yanmar dealer/mechanic

Jay, sorry, I misread. YES!!! He worked on my front loader which is a Yanmar diesel!
Let me know as he will be in Newport today working on a twin Cat boat.

MakoMike 05-29-2017 09:28 AM

FWIW - Full keel is Yamaha certified and a yamaha dealer. I know he works on Yanmars as I have seen several in his shop.

Duke41 05-30-2017 02:12 AM

Thanks to everyone.