Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   DIY - Forum (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Finish work (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=89619)

Rmarsh 12-06-2015 05:21 AM

Finish work

We have been very busy this year....houses are selling alot faster than we can build them. Problem is when I come to start the finish work customers are telling me that their house was supposed to be done months ago.
So I say to them, I am not responsible for all of the delays up to now, and it is not a good idea to rush the work that requires the most skill and patience.
Completion dates are complete Bull@&^t, as far as I'm concerned.

Rmarsh 12-06-2015 05:23 AM

A few more

Raider Ronnie 12-06-2015 06:31 AM

Sounds like you should hire more help.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Rmarsh 12-06-2015 06:50 AM

The problem really isn't a lack of help though. It is the unrealistic completion dates that are the main problem....sales department tells customers what they want to hear.
I have worked creating "realistic" schedules for the building sequences of these houses....and after meetings to review them I am told to move my completion date back two months...and when they are not complete on time, management wants to know why. I have to laugh it off and remind them that my original schedule was correct.

Any guess how long it takes to build a decent quality 3000 sq. ft. house these days?...not prefabbed ....start to finish?

Hookedagain 12-06-2015 07:38 AM

I have done stair work for many years and know its not fast work. It takes time to fit everything tight and gap-free. Especially if there is a lot of rail work. Putting the fittings together and making sure they are all pitch cut properly takes time. Nice looking work, stick to your guns and don't rush quality.

Guppy 12-06-2015 08:19 AM

Beautiful job Bob, as usual

Six months use to work, tight but doable,,,, lots of variables :err:

Not sure I like the idea of no newel on that starting step, code ?

Rmarsh 12-07-2015 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guppy (Post 1088000)
Beautiful job Bob, as usual

Six months use to work, tight but doable,,,, lots of variables :err:

Not sure I like the idea of no newel on that starting step, code ?

Thanks Gup...I discussed the code aspects of doing it this way with my boss before I started, and he said this is how he wanted it done. He felt that because it is less than 30" above finished floor it will pass.
We shall see...and I'll let you know if it becomes an issue.

Six months is reasonable, but like you said lots of variables.
It works when we are building a model or spec....but once a customer is involved things slow down, changes...added work not in contract. Customers are given deadlines for making selections of finishes but are always late with decisions and it delays ordering materials. Last winters snow storms delayed several jobs in various stages, no changes were made to completion dates.

When i did commercial work it was the same...I would arrive at a job to install, job super would tell me I was two weeks behind schedule.
I would laugh and tell him that I cant install cabinets/millwork if the joint compound isn't even dry yet. It can be total chaos on some of these jobs.
I never let it get to me, I know what my capabilities are and bulls%$#t doesn't work on me.

Raven 12-07-2015 08:47 AM

magic wand syndrome lives on

Rmarsh 12-07-2015 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raven (Post 1088065)
magic wand syndrome lives on

Magic wand would come in handy today.....came in to job this morning and learned that $18000 worth of prefinished brazillion chestnut hardwood put down on friday is wrong color!!#
Nothing to do with me but will def affect schedule.

Guppy 12-07-2015 05:50 PM

Bob, all I can say is "GONE FISHING" LOL
some times I think I miss all that and then come to my senses 😄😀 :)

Rmarsh 12-08-2015 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guppy (Post 1088100)
Bob, all I can say is "GONE FISHING" LOL
some times I think I miss all that and then come to my senses 😄😀 :)

The truth is that I love my job... the company I work for is great.....customers appreciate my efforts....and I dont ever get stressed about anything work related. Been at this for over forty years now so nothing really phases me.

Now retirement worries me a little ....I am used to having a heavy workload and not sure what I would do during the non fishing months to keep occupied. I am considering another boat building project in the 20-25' range... that would keep my head and hands busy for a year or two at least.:uhuh:

Just started some more stairs...straight run this time

Raven 12-08-2015 06:59 AM

yes it would .... after that ....a sail boat perhaps. But consider how many years
you've been inhaling dust (sheet rock, wood, fiber glass ect.)

Might be time to start a huge vegetable garden .Plenty of hard work (fresh air) there
and you'd be your own Boss again.... I make sure everything is well watered
then i go fish....and the nicest thing is having fresh veggies to go with your catch.
No pesticides on your food. Flowers are pretty but i don't eat them.

Rmarsh 12-08-2015 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raven (Post 1088133)
yes it would .... after that ....a sail boat perhaps. But consider how many years
you've been inhaling dust (sheet rock, wood, fiber glass ect.)

Might be time to start a huge vegetable garden .Plenty of hard work (fresh air) there
and you'd be your own Boss again.... I make sure everything is well watered
then i go fish....and the nicest thing is having fresh veggies to go with your catch.
No pesticides on your food. Flowers are pretty but i don't eat them.

Thanks Raven ....when i bought my land back in 1975...i planted fruit trees, blueberries and a big garden even before i built the house..kinda got away from that with other things...maybe time to go back.
I have an inground pool to fill in first....kids have grown up and dont use it.....its a maintemance issue

True about the dust....cant be good

Rmarsh 12-09-2015 06:04 AM

Newel posts ready to install and second floor balcony view before railing installation.

Guppy 12-09-2015 07:19 AM

Nice, I've got to ask, how are those newels fastened (handsome look)

spence 12-09-2015 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guppy (Post 1088203)

Look like they're just glued :devil2:

Rmarsh 12-09-2015 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guppy (Post 1088203)

They arent installed yet ..I'll take pics of how i do it when i get back to it....
Right now i have to shift gears and install kitchen so granite templates can be done

Rmarsh 12-09-2015 05:19 PM

Todays work...I did the vent work for a fan unit over the cooktop during the rough

Rmarsh 12-10-2015 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1088213)
Look like they're just glued :devil2:

Now c'mon spence. I take pride in my work....did my first finish stairs in 1977 and hundreds since.....and those posts will be rock solid when I'm done.:fishslap:

Slipknot 12-10-2015 12:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rmarsh (Post 1088201)
Newel posts ready to install and second floor balcony view before railing installation.

Looks good
I love fine craftsmanship

I did a set of stairs similar recently for a member here, and also his custom cabinetry

spence 12-10-2015 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rmarsh (Post 1088308)
Now c'mon spence. I take pride in my work....did my first finish stairs in 1977 and hundreds since.....and those posts will be rock solid when I'm done.:fishslap:

I thought you'd appreciate that :hihi:

Nebe 12-10-2015 01:47 PM

I thought this was going to be a thread about the fine people of Finland. :huh:

Guppy 12-10-2015 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slipknot (Post 1088348)
Looks good
I love fine craftsmanship

I did a set of stairs similar recently for a member here, and also his custom cabinetry

Wow,,, and u guys catch fish too?

Rmarsh 12-11-2015 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guppy (Post 1088367)
Wow,,, and u guys catch fish too?

Nice work Slip. Cool part about our work is admiring the job when it's done....

Hey Gup....Now that you mention it...there are quite a few craftsmen on this site who also love to fish. Blue collar guys rule!!!!:cheers2:

Rmarsh 12-11-2015 05:50 AM

I've always drilled my balluster holes plumb by eye....but this drill jig does a much better job...

Rmarsh 12-11-2015 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 1088356)
I thought this was going to be a thread about the fine people of Finland. :huh:

HaHa..... Finnish carpenter wanted...must be fluent in all nordic languages.:buds:

Rmarsh 12-13-2015 06:18 AM

Assembly of the island cabinets. Festool tracksaw makes this so easy..... it feels like cheating. There is a lot more to do ....angled corners of the island are getting fluted columns with a corbel, and fixed door panels applied on all sides... it is ready to be templated for granite tops.....now I can resume work on the stair railings.

Customer was still asking if house will be done by Christmas:jester:
"Not my department" I tell them (NO chance whatsoever)

nightfighter 12-13-2015 07:13 AM

Nice work, all. Love the Festools too.

Just confused how you do the newel last... I usually have the structural newel done during framing and facing. It appears that you are attaching after finish treads....

Rmarsh 12-13-2015 08:40 AM

Thanks Ross...i'm sure that I don't have to tell you that there are many different ways to do things...and I've tried most of them.

Strength is the main issue and my method is not lacking in that aspect. I will put up photos of the process instead of words to describe how.

Our current development of 75 house lots is nearly completely sold out...I've done every stairway...zero issues with stairs.

nightfighter 12-13-2015 08:49 AM

I will look forward to seeing that. Always room to learn. And speaking to the many ways of doing things, just look how many different ways there are to clean a fish......