Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Political Threads (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Country is On Fire (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=96553)

detbuch 06-01-2020 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 1194251)
That’s been his tactic with PPE and other preventative measures with Covid... “Let the states handle it”

Now that black people are involved in an activity associated with unrest, he all of a sudden wants to intervene in state business to look like a tough guy for his supporters

You can have one or the other, but selectively applying your own rules is never a good idea when things are being recorded and reported live
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Blacks are proportionately hit harder by Covid, and they reminded Trump about that. And that was reported live.

spence 06-02-2020 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afterhours (Post 1194196)
"Eff' the city and move into residential areas - white hoods...and we take what's ours." - yours Antifa friends.
That won't go over well.

Actually looks like this was from a fake account set up by a white nationalist group.

Ian 06-02-2020 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detbuch (Post 1194252)
Blacks are proportionately hit harder by Covid, and they reminded Trump about that. And that was reported live.

What does this have to do with the point that you quoted to respond to?

Got Stripers 06-02-2020 06:47 AM

Trump using military police to move US citizens expressing their freedom of speech so he could walk across to street to have a photo op in front of the church says it all; it’s always been all about him. I’m surprised he didn’t get killed by a bolt of lightening as he held up a book he clearly doesn’t live his life by.

PaulS 06-02-2020 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Stripers (Post 1194263)
Trump using military police to move US citizens expressing their freedom of speech so he could walk across to street to have a photo op in front of the church says it all; it’s always been all about him. I’m surprised he didn’t get killed by a bolt of lightening as he held up a book he clearly doesn’t live his life by.

What a clown. I almost laughed as he wants others to show strength as he hides in his bunker and talks tough. Why doesn't he go out there and "punch them in the face"?

Sea Dangles 06-02-2020 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulS (Post 1194265)
What a clown. I almost laughed as he wants others to show strength as he hides in his bunker and talks tough. Why doesn't he go out there and "punch them in the face"?

Is this your new reality?

PaulS 06-02-2020 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Dangles (Post 1194266)
Is this your new reality?

Roly - you get a bike to help you get that BMI down?

Sea Dangles 06-02-2020 08:23 AM

I have bikes PaulS. Why insult me when I ask a simple question?

PaulS 06-02-2020 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Dangles (Post 1194270)
I have bikes PaulS. Why insult me when I ask a simple question?

Why do you insult people constantly and add nothing constructive to this forum?

The Dad Fisherman 06-02-2020 09:39 AM

behave please.

Jim in CT 06-02-2020 09:44 AM

Quote:

What should he be doing Paul? Did Obama parachute into Ferguson when there were riots there?

I can't believe he hasn't sent in overwhelming force yet, I can't imagine what he's waiting for.

PaulS 06-02-2020 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1194274)
What should he be doing Paul? Did Obama parachute into Ferguson when there were riots there?

I can't believe he hasn't sent in overwhelming force yet, I can't imagine what he's waiting for.

Did Obama claim he was such a tough guy and say he wanted to punch people in the face? Did he constantly insult people? Did he try to inflame tensions or work to calm things down?

Jim in CT 06-02-2020 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulS (Post 1194275)
Did Obama claim he was such a tough guy and say he wanted to punch people in the face? Did he constantly insult people? Did he try to inflame tensions or work to calm things down?

I agree with you on his tweets. But is he wrong for saying he'll send in the military, while in the same day going to his bunker if the secret service tells him to do so?

He's blowing this. Obviously you weren't going to say anything good no matter what he did, but he's turning me of for not doing anything. He said the feds would keep peace if police and National Guard couldn't, and obviously they can't. If he doesn't do anything, he doesn't deserve to get re-elected. I'm an Eisenhower fan. Eisenhower would have sent in the Marines and the 82nd Airborne in huge numbers. I know this, because he did it in a situation far less lethal than this situation.

PaulS 06-02-2020 10:03 AM

His initials statement(s) were good but he couldn't resist tweeting.

Jim in CT 06-02-2020 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulS (Post 1194277)
His initials statement(s) were good but he couldn't resist tweeting.

he can never resist tweeting.

RIROCKHOUND 06-02-2020 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1194278)
he can never resist tweeting.

Or making stupid photo-ops with the bible upside down and backwards a church that didn't even want him. If he at least went inside and prayed the optics of going to that church would not have been so horrid....

Jim in CT 06-02-2020 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND (Post 1194279)
Or making stupid photo-ops with the bible upside down and backwards a church that didn't even want him. If he at least went inside and prayed the optics of going to that church would not have been so horrid....

could he have gone inside and prayed? it was burned. i thought it was an ok move.

RIROCKHOUND 06-02-2020 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1194280)
could he have gone inside and prayed? it was burned. i thought it was an ok move.

The fire was in one room in the basement. My understanding was others were inside.

Even if not, he didn't even try and appear pious, or mournful,it was just a photo-op, one which they had to tear gas and use rubber bullets to clear for the photo.

One of the political shows I used to catch before they moved time slots was a guy on sirius, who would often say, 'Trump is not the Anti-Christ, but Christ is the anti-Trump'... sums him up well I think.

scottw 06-02-2020 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND (Post 1194281)

If he at least went inside and prayed the optics of going to that church would not have been so horrid....

The fire was in one room in the basement. My understanding was others were inside.

if you saw the clip the windows and door were boarded up with plywood

scottw 06-02-2020 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND (Post 1194281)

one which they had to tear gas and use rubber bullets to clear for the photo.

don't know about this instance but typically when they bust out the tear gas and rubber bullets...you've done something to deserve it

RIROCKHOUND 06-02-2020 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 1194282)
if you saw the clip the windows and door were boarded up with plywood

Thanks.
I didn't notice that. I haven't seen any news today, too much of a bummer all around, just read a few articles after paddling this AM and saw the reverend from the church interviewed online (Fox). It still doesn't change my view of it as a stupid photo-op.

detbuch 06-02-2020 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 1194262)
What does this have to do with the point that you quoted to respond to?

You said "That’s been his tactic with PPE and other preventative measures with Covid... 'Let the states handle it'

"Now that black people are involved in an activity associated with unrest, he all of a sudden wants to intervene in state business to look like a tough guy for his supporters

"You can have one or the other, but selectively applying your own rules is never a good idea when things are being recorded and reported live"

Perhaps I misunderstood you. It seemed to me that you were differentiating the two situations because one involved black people. Also, when you said Trump wanted to look like a tough guy for his supporters by intervening, I included black people as part of his supporters. He was gaining support from blacks that Republicans were usually not capable of doing, and I thought you might be saying that Trump was trying to look tough to those critical voters by sympathizing, using tough language, with their views on how the bad cop acted.

I can see how we look at it differently. I don't think Trump is a racist. I may be wrong, but I think you do believe he is a racist.

I didn't mention it, but I also disagree with what I took as your implication that because Trump claimed the states should handle some measures, PPE, etc., that "let the states handle it" meant they should handle everything. The pandemic plan created by the previous administrations indeed did put the responsibility for having stocks of various equipment, and that most of the responsibility for handling a pandemic was on the states. The Federal Government had some other tasks as well as backing up the states if they couldn't. So I didn't think that his view about that had anything to do with race.

Jim in CT 06-02-2020 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 1194283)
don't know about this instance but typically when they bust out the tear gas and rubber bullets...you've done something to deserve it

or at best, youre standing next to someone who deserves it. best to walk away when protesting turns into rioting.

scottw 06-02-2020 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND (Post 1194285)
Thanks.
I didn't notice that. I haven't seen any news today, too much of a bummer all around, just read a few articles after paddling this AM and saw the reverend from the church interviewed online (Fox). It still doesn't change my view of it as a stupid photo-op.

I'm just trying to find "rioting and looting" in these governor's reopening guidelines....maybe phase two or something

scottw 06-02-2020 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND (Post 1194285)

It still doesn't change my view of it as a stupid photo-op.

It's what politicians do...Biden took the opportunity as well....did he "appear" plenty pious?

detbuch 06-02-2020 11:26 AM

Quote:

The secret service detachment assigned to the President makes those decisions of where the President and his family are during times of danger. The same would have been done for any other President.

Redsoxticket 06-02-2020 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND (Post 1194279)
Or making stupid photo-ops with the bible upside down and backwards a church that didn't even want him

That is want satin would have done with a bible.... upside down and backwards.

Jim in CT 06-02-2020 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 1194251)
That’s been his tactic with PPE and other preventative measures with Covid... “Let the states handle it”

Now that black people are involved in an activity associated with unrest, he all of a sudden wants to intervene in state business to look like a tough guy for his supporters

You can have one or the other, but selectively applying your own rules is never a good idea when things are being recorded and reported live

ah, trump doesn’t like
blacks. trump, who celebrated low black unemployment and who advocated for criminal justice reform which disproportionately helps blacks, he doesn’t like
blacks.

put down the kool aid and use the brain god gave you.

RIROCKHOUND 06-02-2020 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 1194290)
It's what politicians do...Biden took the opportunity as well....did he "appear" plenty pious?

I thought his speech was meh.
But at least he wasn't trying to add fuel to the fire. If Trump came out and offered some compassion while still denouncing the rioters and looters, I would give him credit.

RIROCKHOUND 06-02-2020 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redsoxticket (Post 1194296)
That is want satin would have done with a bible.... upside down and backwards.

'Trump is not the Anti-Christ, but Christ is the anti-Trump'